• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:13 AM

This doesn't make sense to me. If Jesus is our one Leader, Teacher, Mediator, then what is this about princes or chiefs under him?

Thank you all for being here when I have questions like that.

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

This doesn't make sense to me. If Jesus is our one Leader, Teacher, Mediator, then what is this about princes or chiefs under him?

Thank you all for being here when I have questions like that.

Isiah is Old Testament. So it was not speaking of Jesus when it says LORD.

LORD (all capital letters) = God the Father.
Lord (with just the L capitalized) = Jesus.

At least that's how the KJV separates them. Not sure what version you are using.

#3 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

At least that's how the KJV separates them. Not sure what version you are using.

I didn't check multiple translations yet. Duh. Too tired to think apparently.

#4 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

I didn't check multiple translations yet. Duh. Too tired to think apparently.

Here's the thing about newer versions. Every version that gets done has to be 10% different from all other versions that currently exist. So with newer translations, what makes them different becomes more of a copyright issue than just making it right using modern words. And because they are not translating from one language to another, in which their main concern is getting the meaning of the two languages correct. The newer translations and translators have their base already done for them (KJV). So now they can more or less focus on inserting their opinions and their beliefs into the translations.

The older versions did not have that option (because they were first) to the point the new ones did. So the translations of the older versions, even though harder to understand, are more spot on and less opinionated with personal beliefs, and copyrighted laws.

Copyright example:

Let's say you are going to do a translation of the Bible. Let's say there are 50 versions that already exist. Copyright laws say your version has to be 10% different from all 50 that exist. Not can you translate with the intent of only getting the truth across, or is the copyright law going to effect how you present it because there are certain things you cannot say, and certain words you cannot use because it's already been done?

Also using multiple versions has an issue. When we have more than one Bible version to read from, we are the ones who determine what the truth shall be.

Example: There are versions that state the days in creation as time periods and not actual 24 hour days. If the person doing the reading and determining what's true for himself, wants to make the scientific time-line needed for evolution to work. Which translation will he go with? The one that supports his "opinion of the truth".

Example 2: You have a person that lives a certain lifestyle and wants to justify it through the Bible. He has one translation that omits the verses that speak against it, and he has one translation that speaks against it. Which one will he use?

God's word is not a book that conforms to what we want. That would make God into a Genie because he owes us and might as well give us 3 wishes while He's at it.

We are supposed to conform to God's word, and allow it to change us. To do the latter is rebellion because it says: I'm doing it my way. So God conforms to me and the lifestyle I choose.

So you have to make the decision to allow God to be God, Whom you answer to. or a Genie that you explain to Him how to be God on your terms.

#5 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

I have the KJV, NKJV, NASB, and Amplified that I like to compare with an interlinear online.

#6 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

I have the KJV, NKJV, NASB, and Amplified that I like to compare with an interlinear online.

How would you say you go about determining truth on an issue you feel strongly about? Do you go with the version that supports you view, or the one that speaks out against it?

#7 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:16 PM

There really aren't any differences that I have found so far, just clarification, synonyms, and then you have the interlinear of course... and then I go with how the Spirit leads me.

#8 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

There really aren't any differences that I have found so far, just clarification, synonyms, and then you have the interlinear of course... and then I go with how the Spirit leads me.

Well so far then it works for you.

#9 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:50 PM

Isaiah 32 says king and is speaking, according to my Bible study notes, in one of my bibles, of the Messianic reign.

And, I disagree that LORD is speaking of God the Father... I have found that YHWH, translated LORD stands for the Godhead, the Father, or the Son at different times. For example, no man can see the Father and no man has seen God, but the LORD, YHWH, appeared to Abraham at Genesis 18:1

#10 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

Isaiah 32 says king and is speaking, according to my Bible study notes, in one of my bibles, of the Messianic reign.

And, I disagree that LORD is speaking of God the Father... I have found that YHWH, translated LORD stands for the Godhead, the Father, or the Son at different times. For example, no man can see the Father and no man has seen God, but the LORD, YHWH, appeared to Abraham at Genesis 18:1

Seems to me you already had your answer.

#11 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

I mean, My question actually when you get down to it is that right now I am determined to have no one but Christ as my leader. During the Messianic reign that changes?

#12 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 18 September 2011 - 12:54 AM

I mean, My question actually when you get down to it is that right now I am determined to have no one but Christ as my leader. During the Messianic reign that changes?

You worry to much about the little things. No one is going to have all the answers. You need not focus on things that you don't understand right now. In due time God will reveal the answer if He deems you need to know.

#13 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:27 AM

ah, i see the problem. ok if one is in christ then all of the trinity is in you. by following the hamashiac you are also following the father. and have the holy spirit as well. if you have submited to the son then you will submit to the others as well. all of the vision in the ot are of the son, and none of the father.

#14 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:26 AM

Thanks Issac and Jason. That helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users