Photo

Pray In School

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: prayer in school (6 member(s) have cast votes)

pray allowed in school

1. yes (4 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. no (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. not sure (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • florida

Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

should prayer be allowed in school?

#2 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

should prayer be allowed in school?

It is allowed. Prayer meetings outside of classtime, and voluntary, are allowed. My Bro-in-law has been a coach/PE teacher for years and is active in FCA prayer and Bible Study. "See you at the pole" is an evangelically promoted program of voluntary prayer at specific times at the flag pole, outside of class time.

If your asking should we start classes with prayer, I would love it. However, I live in a world where my neighbor does not share my affinity for praying. So as to not offend them, by seeming to dominate them with my beliefs, against their will, I must refrain and pray FOR them. I think we fail when we want to make a political contest without fighting the spiritual battle for their souls.

#3 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 18 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

It is allowed. Prayer meetings outside of classtime, and voluntary, are allowed. My Bro-in-law has been a coach/PE teacher for years and is active in FCA prayer and Bible Study. "See you at the pole" is an evangelically promoted program of voluntary prayer at specific times at the flag pole, outside of class time.

i am well aware of that. im talking about the old pre 1962 days where the prinicipal prayed if he wished. or someone else

#4 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

I voted no. What if this nation had an official religion other than Christian? What if each school had a different religion? I certainly wouldn't want the schools praying as a group and expecting my kids to join in.

#5 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:44 PM

I voted no. What if this nation had an official religion other than Christian? What if each school had a different religion? I certainly wouldn't want the schools praying as a group and expecting my kids to join in.

i was a jw, no one was made to join in when prayer was done this way. all i was asked to do was be silent. thats it!

#6 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:00 PM

i was a jw, no one was made to join in when prayer was done this way. all i was asked to do was be silent. thats it!

Well, I don't think I would want them exposed to prayer to different gods at all, personally.

#7 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:41 AM

The was prayer to the Christian God, in every aspect of public life, since the inception of this country (and previous to that as well). From Congress, to the Supreme Court all the way down to the beginning of school days. We even used the Bible as a text book in our schools. In fact, our first institutions of higher learning started as seminaries (Princeton, Harvard, Yale etc…)

The only way they’ll be exposed to different (g)ods will be now that we have chosen to take the One true God, out of the picture. We are, in fact, praying to other gods, in the absence of the One True God.

#8 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:59 AM

The only way they’ll be exposed to different (g)ods will be now that we have chosen to take the One true God, out of the picture. We are, in fact, praying to other gods, in the absence of the One True God.

Exactly. I don't trust that this isn't happening. So many people accept that JWs, Mormons, Jews, and even Muslims all pray to the same god, and evolution is taught in schools.

Many of the scriptures that have taught me that Jesus is God are about creation.

#9 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:42 AM

The was prayer to the Christian God, in every aspect of public life, since the inception of this country (and previous to that as well). From Congress, to the Supreme Court all the way down to the beginning of school days. We even used the Bible as a text book in our schools. In fact, our first institutions of higher learning started as seminaries (Princeton, Harvard, Yale etc…)

yes, what are seeing and have seen is a move from the peoples of a former christian nation with a secular neutral govt to a hodge podge of hedonism/pagan gods. if obama had to pray for divine guidance today on tv it would be like this " oh god,(allah,buddha,jesus,heshem, etc) we are in trouble.." vs the founders.." dear Lord, we have sinned and are in need of your mercy, our peoples are in trouble.. and do so while pleading the whole nation to fast and repent and seek the face of the lord"

that fact bothers me today. it vexes me. i will comment more when i can gather the thoughts of what i was taght in the florida educational system in the early 80s as we have the prayer at the time of annoucements and also invocations at ceremonies.

#10 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, computers, physics, video games, philosophy, epistomology
  • Christian
  • USA

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:52 PM

yes, what are seeing and have seen is a move from the peoples of a former christian nation with a secular neutral govt to a hodge podge of hedonism/pagan gods. if obama had to pray for divine guidance today on tv it would be like this " oh god,(allah,buddha,jesus,heshem, etc) we are in trouble.." vs the founders.." dear Lord, we have sinned and are in need of your mercy, our peoples are in trouble.. and do so while pleading the whole nation to fast and repent and seek the face of the lord"

that fact bothers me today. it vexes me. i will comment more when i can gather the thoughts of what i was taght in the florida educational system in the early 80s as we have the prayer at the time of annoucements and also invocations at ceremonies.

In the constitution is says: 'We The People', it doesn't say we the Government. Someone talked about Government education being unconstitional. If it was actual 'public' education shouldn't it be controlled by the individual churches/organizations and not the Government?....

Are students allowed to pray out loud, in Christian Schools? lol

#11 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:55 PM

In the constitution is says: 'We The People', it doesn't say we the Government. Someone talked about Government education being unconstitional. If it was actual 'public' education shouldn't it be controlled by the individual churches/organizations and not the Government?....

Are students allowed to pray out loud, in Christian Schools? lol

the pray in question was basically an invocation. yes the churches in america did run the educational system up till i think 1900. the church has ceded that to the govt. it wasnt taken by force or by law. the mcaufee reader was in the church first. think little house on the praire. that i believe it was done.

#12 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:51 PM

Had a meal with JWs who prayed before hand and have been very upset about it. I try to walk in the Spirit and follow his leadings, so IMO, this is telling me something. If they are not praying to the Godhead of the Bible then don't do it. If they were to have prayer in school then I am sure that it would not be praying to the God of the Bible much of the time.

#13 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

yes but you choice to have that dinner as well. but if we allow any prayer back in school like it was we must let that happen.

pluralistic society is what we are and were.

#14 Chris

Chris

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:My trade is whatever pays the bills. My real passion, and what I hope to make my living from someday, is old-time carpentry. Felling trees, hewing logs with a broad-axe, and building or restoring log structures in the Piney Woods.
  • Christian
  • Mississippi

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

If our God isn't present in the classroom, then others will be. Removing God from the schools creates a spiritual vacuum that something must fill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users