• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:50 AM

As Christians, we had decided not to celebrate Halloween. So we told our daughter we would not be giving out candy. We took our kids to an alternative party a week prior to Halloween and dressed up in non-scary costumes and got a lot of candy. But Halloween itself was still a no. So we turned off the porch light and closed the window and the kids were peeping through the slats to see the trick or treaters just as I did when I was a JW kid (torture).

My daughter could take it no more and opened the window. Doorbell rings. Candy for all of the cutesy spidermen, pirates and princesses. Joy on all faces. Neighbors (the parents) waving to me. Lecture for daughter. "But I just want to make the little kids happy." I understand. Do we love our neighbors that are going to the effort to trick or treat and understand that they have their own conscience or do we take a stand on the holiday? Confusion in my heart.

#2 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, computers, physics, video games, philosophy, epistomology
  • Christian
  • USA

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

As Christians, we had decided not to celebrate Halloween. So we told our daughter we would not be giving out candy. We took our kids to an alternative party a week prior to Halloween and dressed up in non-scary costumes and got a lot of candy. But Halloween itself was still a no. So we turned off the porch light and closed the window and the kids were peeping through the slats to see the trick or treaters just as I did when I was a JW kid (torture).

My daughter could take it no more and opened the window. Doorbell rings. Candy for all of the cutesy spidermen, pirates and princesses. Joy on all faces. Neighbors (the parents) waving to me. Lecture for daughter. "But I just want to make the little kids happy." I understand. Do we love our neighbors that are going to the effort to trick or treat and understand that they have their own conscience or do we take a stand on the holiday? Confusion in my heart.

During my public education, I was faced with the halloween delima. Some years were better than others. I think I was able to get out of school for some of those days. Once in college I decided to go along with the class and watch a scary movie with witchcraft. I had bad dreams and regretted it later.

Another thing you'll will notice is the public TV, and often times in school you'll notice a lot of people view witches (people who practice witchcraft), ghosts, as made up. They try to fictionalize it as well or marginalize the celebration of evil. Garfeild/Charliebrown Halloween cartoon Special They have put vampire's and frankenstein (folklore) in with all those things, Permethious.

One website I found discussing holidays had traced the paganism/occult as far back as Nimrod. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I think of our neighbor who I heard was a practicing Satanist. Unfortunately Satan and his demons are out there.

I remember sometimes our church went bowling.

#3 Chris

Chris

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:My trade is whatever pays the bills. My real passion, and what I hope to make my living from someday, is old-time carpentry. Felling trees, hewing logs with a broad-axe, and building or restoring log structures in the Piney Woods.
  • Christian
  • Mississippi

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

Halloween was a nightmare this year. My 5 year-old, bless his heart, wanted to be an old-school ghost with a white sheet and little eye-holes. So we fixed him up and we trundled through the nice neighborhood downtown. The cops block off an entire street for several blocks just for trick-or-treaters, to give the kids a safe place to have fun.

It was safe, all right, from everyone BUT the kids. Nothing but rude, shoving, greedy little guys and girls with very few parents in sight. It's hard to be angry at the kids when I know the parents are to blame for neglecting to raise their children properly, but it still stretched my patience. My son finally looked up and said "Daddy, I don't like this. Let's go get a Happy Meal."

And so we did. Next year we're skipping trick or treat. We'll have a Halloween like I used to--when my grandpa loaded us up in his old pickup truck and we dropped in on friends and relatives, visited a while, and flashed our costumes. If we ended up with a little candy, great. If not, no big deal. We still enjoyed an evening with the people we cared about.
  • gilbo12345 likes this

#4 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, computers, physics, video games, philosophy, epistomology
  • Christian
  • USA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

I had this idea for a while, you can take it farther; dangerous, not with God's protection;  dress up like Judges and carry bibles to pass out with tracts; have pre-prepared speeches, for street preaching;

set up mock debates/ good person test

• gilbo12345 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users