Photo

Did The Dying Thief Know About The Ransom?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

Did he know that Jesus was dying to pay for his sins?

#2 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

Knowing He was the Son of God and asking Him to remember him, He knew something.

#3 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:59 AM

Yes, but what exactly was the thief putting faith in? Christ's ransom sacrifice? Or...?

Trust me, I have a point.

#4 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:47 AM

Yes, but what exactly was the thief putting faith in? Christ's ransom sacrifice? Or...?

His Word...

#5 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Interests:Machining, Engine Building, Geology, Paleontology, Fishing
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

Yes. Since he believed in his heart that Jesus was Lord and confessed with his mouth that he had sinned; He was saved.

Enjoy.

#6 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

Yes. Since he believed in his heart that Jesus was Lord and confessed with his mouth that he had sinned; He was saved.

Yes, he believed in Jesus, but was his faith in the sacrifice?

#7 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:16 AM

no, in jesus and what he said.
we trust jesus not his actions. faith in the second person of the trinity is what is needed.

yes what he did do is important and we must believe that but the actions of the cross arent useful if we dont believe the person who died on the cross is what he says he was.

otherwise i could say spartacus save me. as spartacus died on the cross as well.

#8 chipwag64

chipwag64

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Christian
  • Pennsylvania

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

He realized that he was a sinner, receiving justice for the crime committed. He realized that Jesus had done nothing wrong and was being punished wrongly. He believed that Jesus would live again and reign in His Kingdom. We don't know how much this thief understood about this Kingdom, but it seems evident that the Holy Spirit did a work in this mans heart, that opened his eyes to see who Jesus was and changed his heart toward Jesus, because Matthew records that both of the criminals were railing on Jesus (Matthew 27:44). I don't know if we can say definitively what he was trusting in,but his faith was sufficient to save him. Why would the thief ask Jesus to remember him, if he believed that he (the thief) would die and remain dead? Did the thief want Jesus to remember that he defended Jesus and have pleasant thoughts that someone believed in Him? or was the thief asking for a place in this Kingdom? I think that this event highlights the power and grace of God! showing us that no one is beyond God's saving grace and also that God can save people at the last moment of their lives. Good question ME, it's good to think about this event.

#9 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

He realized that he was a sinner, receiving justice for the crime committed. He realized that Jesus had done nothing wrong and was being punished wrongly. He believed that Jesus would live again and reign in His Kingdom.

Yes, that is what we know this man believed. Thank you. His faith was in Jesus as Lord, in the resurrection, and in Jesus remembering him, enough to ask.

We don't know that he knew any specifics about the ransom, or very much about scripture, etc. at all. He trusted Jesus.

He trusted Him.

It is a wonderful reminder and a very good teaching account!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users