Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

Just an open ended question...

#2 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

I love Christmas! I celebrate the day that God sent his mighty right arm to earth to save me, a sinner. Christmas songs teach who Christ is and bring glory to him. Songs I started singing back in July when He came into my heart.

I love the read and green, the trees, the lights, the snowmen and reindeer, Saint Nicholas...

I went to a play at a church that was about a family celebrating Thanksgiving, waiting for Christmas and the songs on the radio when Pearl Harbor was attacked. I really disliked all of the secular songs and themes.

#3 falcone

falcone

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Scotland

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:50 AM

Tim Minchin expresses very well how I feel about Christmas. I've posted this before and was surprised there were no comments. Perhaps no-one listened to it all the way through.

#4 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:46 AM

currently i'm doing both channukah and christmas. the former to learn of the revolt and what channukah meanst and still does.

and also to connect to my family. i am of jewish descent and a christian.

#5 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:49 AM

Just an open ended question...

Christmas is what the individual makes of it (and that's exactly what they'll get out of it). The traditional Christian recognizes Christmas as a recognition and rememberance of the birth of Jesus Christ (and ALL that entails). The materialists (be they professing Christians, atheists, agnostics etc...) Are all about celebrating the giving and getting (mostly the GETTING). The empathetic person (be they professing Christians, atheists, agnostics etc...) Are all about giving, whether or not they get. And the curmudgeon/Scrooge (be they professing Christians, atheists, agnostics etc...) Are all about complaining about Christmas. Whether it be denying the recognition of the birth of Jesus, complaining about the marketing ploys, complaining about the origins of Christmas from paganisim etc...

Here's the thing, Christmas is "REALLY" all about giving, regardless of the words of the nay-sayers. Anyone telling you differently is simply trying to sell you something.

#6 thatsneakyguy

thatsneakyguy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Maryland

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

I love Christmas! I celebrate the day that God sent his mighty right arm to earth to save me, a sinner. Christmas songs teach who Christ is and bring glory to him. Songs I started singing back in July when He came into my heart.

I love the read and green, the trees, the lights, the snowmen and reindeer, Saint Nicholas...

Thanks

I went to a play at a church that was about a family celebrating Thanksgiving, waiting for Christmas and the songs on the radio when Pearl Harbor was attacked. I really disliked all of the secular songs and themes.

I think celebrating Christmas has become very secular.

#7 thatsneakyguy

thatsneakyguy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Maryland

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

Tim Minchin expresses very well how I feel about Christmas. I've posted this before and was surprised there were no comments. Perhaps no-one listened to it all the way through.

I looked up the song lyrics first to see what you meant.

I also listened all the way through; not my style of music - kind of droning on and on.

#8 thatsneakyguy

thatsneakyguy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Maryland

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

currently i'm doing both channukah and christmas. the former to learn of the revolt and what channukah meanst and still does.

What revolt?

and also to connect to my family. i am of jewish descent and a christian.

That's great, thanks.

#9 thatsneakyguy

thatsneakyguy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Maryland

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:01 AM

Christmas is what the individual makes of it (and that's exactly what they'll get out of it).

This is really good.
Actually I think it can apply to alot of things besides Christmas.

The traditional Christian recognizes Christmas as a recognition and rememberance of the birth of Jesus Christ (and ALL that entails). The materialists (be they professing Christians, atheists, agnostics etc...) Are all about celebrating the giving and getting (mostly the GETTING). The empathetic person (be they professing Christians, atheists, agnostics etc...) Are all about giving, whether or not they get. And the curmudgeon/Scrooge (be they professing Christians, atheists, agnostics etc...) Are all about complaining about Christmas. Whether it be denying the recognition of the birth of Jesus, complaining about the marketing ploys, complaining about the origins of Christmas from paganisim etc...

This is a good way to classify attitudes. I think I am more of the empathetic person.

Here's the thing, Christmas is "REALLY" all about giving, regardless of the words of the nay-sayers. Anyone telling you differently is simply trying to sell you something.

I have always tried to remember that. Thanks.
  • Ron likes this

#10 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

What revolt?

That's great, thanks.

the maacabean revolt that removed the greek presence from isreal and allowed the temple to be cleansed.
http://www.chabad.or...e-Maccabees.htm

i also suggest searching there for the whole story of channukah and the miracle of it. i will read tonight on the foruth day of channukah
  • Ron likes this

#11 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

The most likely reason you don't get a response is because of the spectacle some of the lyrics cause in an OP about Christmas, in a Christian forum. More often than not, you can go to the standard Christian Bashing atheist forum and post the song, and all get a good chuckle about the in-your-face non-Christian twists and turns in the song.

#12 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

It's just wierd that a lot of atheist and agnostic that I know have Christmas trees, give presents etc, yet they miss the whole point of Christmas in the eyes of the Christian. It is just mindless tradition that makes them happy, so they keep it up. The thing I like least about Christmas is turning on the radio and hearing sleigh bells on every station. Especially since theres no snow around here. It feels wrong, like chocolate covered oysters.

I hate to say it but I think I like easter a bit more, maybe because it marks His triumph over Satan, sin, and death, but there is something awesome about Christmas. I love celebrating the birth of Jesus and the beginning of His journey too. It has particular meaning since my wife is pregnant and my first child is making his or her way into the world. It amazes me to think of God being born as this fragile little child, just like mine will be soon enough. I couldn't imagine laying my eyes on a baby Jesus and knowing full well that He was destined to be the Savior of the World. I hope you all are having a great Christmas!

#13 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

Oh yes, Easter is much more important. I am not as comfortable with the traditions though (bunnies and eggs). I think it makes more sense to decorate an evergreen for Easter. And I am sad because DH won't let me have a cross in the house.

#14 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:01 AM

It's just wierd that a lot of atheist and agnostic that I know have Christmas trees, give presents etc, yet they miss the whole point of Christmas in the eyes of the Christian. It is just mindless tradition that makes them happy, so they keep it up. The thing I like least about Christmas is turning on the radio and hearing sleigh bells on every station. Especially since theres no snow around here. It feels wrong, like chocolate covered oysters.

I hate to say it but I think I like easter a bit more, maybe because it marks His triumph over Satan, sin, and death, but there is something awesome about Christmas. I love celebrating the birth of Jesus and the beginning of His journey too. It has particular meaning since my wife is pregnant and my first child is making his or her way into the world. It amazes me to think of God being born as this fragile little child, just like mine will be soon enough. I couldn't imagine laying my eyes on a baby Jesus and knowing full well that He was destined to be the Savior of the World. I hope you all are having a great Christmas!

i know and tommorow it wont drop below 55!

#15 MarkForbes

MarkForbes

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Waverley

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

Posted Image
  • JayShel likes this

#16 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

sadly, see the post i made on a group that wants to pay million for the answer to the origins of life and they dont want a supernatural answer in that logic arguments for god thread.
http://www.evolution...l=&fromsearch=1

#17 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

In one word:
Posted Image

It was so wonderful! I love my family! We had fun together. My presents were picked out perfectly for me and made me cry. Each and every one of them, can you believe it? They know me so well! The church even came by to give us a gift. My first Christmas met all of my expectations! (The picture is one of my presents. Oh and my husband got me the statue in my avatar too!) :)

Thank you Jesus. Thank you for my family. Thank you for freedom. Thank you for joy!

I will post my pictures in a public album. Stay tuned. Posted Image
  • Ron and thatsneakyguy like this

#18 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:28 AM

What revolt?

I'm pretty sure Hannukah started after the Maccabes revolt in the years between Zechariah and Malachi (last prophets of the OT) and Christ. Here you go.

Hanukkah (Hebrew: חֲנֻכָּה‎, Tiberian: Ḥănukkāh, usually spelled חנוכה pronounced [χanuˈka] in Modern Hebrew, also romanized as Chanukah, Chanukkah, or Chanuka), also known as the Festival of Lights, is an eight-day Jewish holiday commemorating the rededication of the Holy Temple (the Second Temple) in Jerusalem at the time of the Maccabean Revolt of the 2nd century BCE.

The Maccabees (Hebrew: מכבים‎ or מקבים, Makabim or Maqabim; Greek: Μακκαβαῖοι, /makav'εï/) were a Jewish rebel army who took control of Judea, which had been a client state of the Seleucid Empire. They founded the Hasmonean dynasty, which ruled from 164 BCE to 63 BCE, reasserting the Jewish religion, expanding the boundaries of the Land of Israel and reducing the influence of Hellenism and Hellenistic Judaism. Some scholars argue that the "Jewish biblical canon" was fixed by the Hasmonean dynasty.[1] Cited from wikipedia
  • Ron likes this

#19 thatsneakyguy

thatsneakyguy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Maryland

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:56 PM

It's just wierd that a lot of atheist and agnostic that I know have Christmas trees, give presents etc, yet they miss the whole point of Christmas in the eyes of the Christian. It is just mindless tradition that makes them happy, so they keep it up.

I wouldn't say they think its mindless; I think the emotional attachements are reason enough. I think a lot of atheists and agnostics like the aspects of giving, compassion, and kindness that are associated with Christmas. There is also the gathering and reconnection with family and friends, plus the nostalgia and memories of past Christmases. So I think to many, that is why they value the tradition.

In addition, I think there are many professed Christians who celebrate Christmas in a secular way.

The thing I like least about Christmas is turning on the radio and hearing sleigh bells on every station. Especially since theres no snow around here. It feels wrong, like chocolate covered oysters.

I hate to say it but I think I like easter a bit more, maybe because it marks His triumph over Satan, sin, and death,

In my opinion it would seem that for Christians, Good Friday should be the most important event to remember, at least spiritually.

but there is something awesome about Christmas. I love celebrating the birth of Jesus and the beginning of His journey too. It has particular meaning since my wife is pregnant and my first child is making his or her way into the world. It amazes me to think of God being born as this fragile little child, just like mine will be soon enough. I couldn't imagine laying my eyes on a baby Jesus and knowing full well that He was destined to be the Savior of the World.

The birth of Jesus is a very compelling story.
I wish only the best for your family and you have a healthy and happy child.

I hope you all are having a great Christmas!

I had a very nice Christmas. I hope everyone else did as well!
  • MamaElephant likes this

#20 thatsneakyguy

thatsneakyguy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Maryland

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

In one word:
Posted Image

It was so wonderful! I love my family! We had fun together. My presents were picked out perfectly for me and made me cry. Each and every one of them, can you believe it? They know me so well! The church even came by to give us a gift. My first Christmas met all of my expectations! (The picture is one of my presents. Oh and my husband got me the statue in my avatar too!) :)

Thank you Jesus. Thank you for my family. Thank you for freedom. Thank you for joy!

I will post my pictures in a public album. Stay tuned. Posted Image

That sounds great! I am glad you had a nice Christmas. Hope everyone else did as well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users