Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

I tried to send you a PM but for some reason it wouldn't work. Must be a technical problem somewhere. Anyway, I tracked down your quote of Mendel ""Species do not transform one into the other. They show stability from generation to generation, and my experiments demonstrate that fact. Isn't anyone listening?" ...To David Coppedge at: http://creationsafaris.com/wgcs_4.htm "Mendel listed some of the species Gartner experimented on. The final sentence of his paper states, “hybrids between these species lost none of their stability after 4 or 5 generations.” In a day where Darwinism was sweeping the intellectual world in Britain and spreading to the continent, Mendel’s words seem intended as a clarion call to observation over speculation: Species do not transform one into the other. They show stability from generation to generation, and my experiments demonstrate that fact. Isn’t anyone listening? BUT NOTICE THAT THERE ARE NO QUOTATION MARKS AROUND THE QUOTE IN QUESTION. I would kindly suggest therefores, that unless an earlier quote by Mendel can be found that is not merely a commenters notion that this is what Mendel was thinking then it might be wise for you to remove the quotation marks. Quite frankly, I have I am wrong about this and that the quote is truly from Mendel himself. I have been reproached for this more than once by evolutionists and I could not defend it like I wanted to because it is not found in the Mendel paper of 1866. Best wishes.

#2 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Interests:Machining, Engine Building, Geology, Paleontology, Fishing
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

Mendel incessantly speaks of "constant characters", "constant offspring", "constant combinations", "constant forms", "constant law", "a constant species" etc. (in such combinations the adjective "constant" occurs altogether 67 times in the German original paper). He was convinced that the laws of heredity he had discovered corroborated Gärtner's conclusion "that species are fixed with limits beyond which they cannot change". And as Dobzhansky aptly put it: "It is...not a paradox to say that if some one should succeed in inventing a universally applicable, static definition of species, he would cast serious doubts on the validity of the theory of evolution".

You are correct. Mendel never used that quote in his paper. But, given the above reference and how he used the term "constant" 67 times, it was certainly implied in his paper. I sent an e-mail to creation safaris asking for a reference.

Enjoy.

#3 jason777

jason777

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Interests:Machining, Engine Building, Geology, Paleontology, Fishing
  • Christian
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Here is the reply I got back from creation safaris:

"Hello Jason,
I am sorry for the confusion that line in the article has caused. Those
are not Mendel's words. They are a case of the biographer "putting
words into his mouth" for rhetorical purposes; that's why they are in
italics instead of quote marks. It's an interpretation of his words in
the preceding blockquote followed by his statement, "hybrids between
these species lost none of their stability after 4 or 5 generations."
Because of the confusion, I will try to make it more clear which words
are Mendel's and which are the biographer's.
DFC "

It is confirmed as a interpretaion of Mendel's words and not a direct quote from him. I will remove it from my Sig.

Thanks.

#4 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2177 posts
  • Christian
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

Here is the reply I got back from creation safaris:

"Hello Jason,
I am sorry for the confusion that line in the article has caused. Those
are not Mendel's words. They are a case of the biographer "putting
words into his mouth" for rhetorical purposes; that's why they are in
italics instead of quote marks. It's an interpretation of his words in
the preceding blockquote followed by his statement, "hybrids between
these species lost none of their stability after 4 or 5 generations."
Because of the confusion, I will try to make it more clear which words
are Mendel's and which are the biographer's.
DFC "

It is confirmed as a interpretaion of Mendel's words and not a direct quote from him. I will remove it from my Sig.

Thanks.

Thank you for your humble reply and correction. God bless you, brother.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users