jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • florida

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

hell was used as it the jewish idea of the after life then was similiar to what the greeks thought.

hell to them also had a place for the wicked in torment and the idea of a paradise.remember the septugiant was written to hellinistic jews and hell was the best word used.of course if one gets into fireiry torment, then how does a fire burn the devil if tis literal?

#22 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

hell was used as it the jewish idea of the after life then was similiar to what the greeks thought.

hell to them also had a place for the wicked in torment and the idea of a paradise.remember the septugiant was written to hellinistic jews and hell was the best word used.of course if one gets into fireiry torment, then how does a fire burn the devil if tis literal?

So you are denying Hell exists as well as the lake of fire?

#23 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:28 PM

Thanks Ikester. Hmmm.. I will ask my husband about this.Because the word for hell here is Hell= Hades= Sheol and we have already seen (looking at Jasons link) that Sheol/Hades is a place righteous people fully expected to go, and our God did not intend to send the righteous to a place of judgment (according to the letters of Romans and Hebrews).

Are there degrees of Hell?
Are there degrees of torment?
Does Hell really mean Hell or is there a way to go around going there after one dies in their sins?

#24 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

Are there degrees of Hell?
Are there degrees of torment?
Does Hell really mean Hell or is there a way to go around going there after one dies in their sins?

All good questions. I would add:

Does the Bible mean torment when Sheol is translated into the word hell?

Does the Bible mean torment when Hades is translated into the word hell?

How are these words different than the Lake of Fire or Gehenna and are these the same?

What does Jesus mean by few strokes, many strokes and cut assunder in Luke chapter 12?

#25 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

you do realise that often prophecies use literal things to show something as a concept.

both really like heaven ,hell isnt fully explained.

lake gehanna is a direct reference to the dea sea which at the time spued sulfur and ash and fire came out so it must mean in like manner of destruction so shall it be.

this is why understand the jewish thought and culture of then is important. not that you are ingorant but one cant ingore the first audience and writers of the bible and their cultural references and preferences when reading the word.

and yes i believe in a torment but to say what it is exactly i cant.

#26 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

you do realise that often prophecies use literal things to show something as a concept.

both really like heaven ,hell isnt fully explained.

lake gehanna is a direct reference to the dea sea which at the time spued sulfur and ash and fire came out so it must mean in like manner of destruction so shall it be.

this is why understand the jewish thought and culture of then is important. not that you are ingorant but one cant ingore the first audience and writers of the bible and their cultural references and preferences when reading the word.

and yes i believe in a torment but to say what it is exactly i cant.

http://www.askelm.co...rets/sec106.htm

#27 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • florida

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:43 AM

i stand corrected is the lake of fire not gehanna.

#28 Quaker Reason

Quaker Reason

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Religion, Science, History, Military, Computers, Roman History, Astronomy, Books, The Truth
  • Christian
  • Old Earth Creationist
  • Indiana

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

Also another question, why does Christianity seem like it's copying other religions? Every religion seems to have the same trend of stories there's always a virgin and a rivalry between brothers a good god and a bad "god".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users