Photo

Why Using Several Translations Is Wrong.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:33 AM

I haven't used this as a test, but I have told thoughts to go way in the name of Jesus Christ, and it works really well.

Then what you did was an example.

#22 Paul of Eugene OR

Paul of Eugene OR

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Eugene, Oregon

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

I often run into people who debate theology and because they use more than one translation and the disagreement comes in the form of which translation they accept on that particular subject. But this also poses a problem that most do not even realize.

Let's say I want to be able to do something that is borderline sin. I'm using three translations.

One says it's totally wrong and is a sin.
One kinda implies it's wrong and is not clear it's a sin.
One does not imply anything.

Now because "I" believe things should be a certain way concerning this subject and I want it to be not a sin. Which translation am I most likely to go with? And if I do this because of what I want to be truth then truth becomes my opinion and not God's.

And since it's "me" that makes the decision on what "I" will accept as truth where is the Holy Spirit in all this? . . . .

I'm not sure you can actually point to such an issue between commonly used Bible translations. Do you have an example in mind?

#23 SomchaiA

SomchaiA

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Movies. music, science.
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

I'm not sure you can actually point to such an issue between commonly used Bible translations. Do you have an example in mind?

This entire thread seems to imply that all people have multiple translations. In Thai we have a version of King James but not used much except Baptists. I think most used one similar to Revised Standard Version.

#24 Paul of Eugene OR

Paul of Eugene OR

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • Eugene, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

This entire thread seems to imply that all people have multiple translations. In Thai we have a version of King James but not used much except Baptists. I think most used one similar to Revised Standard Version.

Both are good translations in their english versions . . . of course I cannot comment on the Thai version. When you say you have a version of the King James, do you mean it was actually translated from English to Thai instead of from the biblical Hebrew and Greek to Thai?

#25 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

Certainly, in some places you are blessed if you can get one Bible among many people and not get it confiscated, these countries particularly, so you make a good point. If you can get to blueletterbible.org, you can have many different versions, although it may not be practical for worship services.

You are correct, this thread is aimed at people who do have multiple versions, through print or online, to study and understand the Biblical doctrine of salvation. Thank you sharing your perspective to prevent cultural bias, and remind us of our persecuted brothers and sisters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users