Photo

The Reason We Filter Certain Words Here.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

Some of you have probably noticed that not only do cuss words get filtered here but other words and also names get filtered. The reason for certain words being filter like the male and female parts is because those words get this forum listed in certain search results that lists us along with P*rn etc... You might think that listing there would bring people here that could get saved. But this also brings the most hateful and vulgar people you have ever met. People not really interested in any subject but to just post and cuss everyone out. Saying things that would make even a militant atheist think: Dang what's your problem?

And also we filter K*nt H*vinds name because it lists us with seraches concerning him in which brings a crowd of H*vind haters that can be just as bad as the people I was just talking about.

Since filtering these words we have stopped having problems with these types of people by about 300-500%. Yes it was really bad at one time.

Anyway I said all that to also say this. Going around the word filter will get you into trouble. If you continue it will get you banned.

#2 Prototypical

Prototypical

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Ontario

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

Is there a list of forbidden words and names? If I type the symbols "p*rn" , is that construed as trying to get around the filters?

These are not facetious questions. I feel a little as though I am walking on egg shells.

#3 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Hmmm... yes, I didn't know it was possible to get around word filters.

#4 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Is there a list of forbidden words and names? If I type the symbols "p*rn" , is that construed as trying to get around the filters?

These are not facetious questions. I feel a little as though I am walking on egg shells.

You can use the all the words except cuss words. The reason the other words are filtered is for the reason stated. Not that you cannot use them. But if what you do goes around the word filter and you know that word is filtered. You need to go back and undo what made it go around the word filter. When we catch it we have to determine whether it was an honest mistake or done on purpose.

Like one member here typed in the word s@x. He saw it was filtered so he went around that by typing se (a space here) x. Well the word filter did not pick up on it because he put a space between the E and the X. That was determined as deliberate. So he got warned.

So as far as using words that are not "cuss words" but yet are filtered for one reason or another is fine. I was only explaining that going around the filter or using cuss words will get you into trouble.

1) Filtered words that are not cuss words are fine. Words like s*x, p*rn etc... are fine as long as you leave the filter (*) in the word so that the search engines won't pick up on it.
2) Because the word filter also has word replacement most word you are not supposed to use get replace with a warning right in the spot where the word is in the sentaence.

Example: Let's say You use the female organ part and use the word that starts with a P. What will come up in place of that word is this warning: *psy-change word or get banned*, The psy is there so we know what word was being used.

So if you use a word you are not supposed to you will get a warning in the sentence that will go directly in the place where the word would have appeared. If the word is not considered a problem it will only be filtered with a astrik (*), or an @ so that the search engines won;t know what it was.
2) Going around "any" filtered word by altering it on purpose is not.

#5 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hmmm... yes, I didn't know it was possible to get around word filters.

Yes because the word filter is exact matching. Let's say the word "chart" is a bad word. To make the filter, filter all forms I would have to enter each form of it I wanted filtered like this:
1) chart.
2) Chart

So that the word with or without caps get's filtered. I can also make the word filter replace a bad word with a more suitable word. So instead of chart I could replace with the word graph. So if you type in chart the word graph comes up instead.

Then we have word variation filtering which I don't use. This is because it filters all words that are nearly spelled the same as the one entered which means okay words may get filtered as well. The forum program decides this. Doing exact word filtering is better.

#6 Prototypical

Prototypical

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Ontario

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

OK thanks ikester7579.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users