• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5714 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

I've just learned that the 2012 Global Atheist convention will be taking place in Australia.

It is touted on the website as "a celebration of reason", something I find ironic since I have not yet heard any rational arguments put forward for the belief in atheism... Rather it seems just to be arguments of ignorance, (things like- "there is no proof of God therefore he doesn't exist"), or from Dawkins perspective just ridicule your opponent, and apparently that is evidence....

In the words of William Lane Craig, "absence of evidence, is not evidence of absence"

To uphold the claim of "a celebration of reason", can any atheists please state some logical / rational evidence for the non-existence of God. At best there should only be agnostics.

#2 Gerson

Gerson

• Advanced member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • El salvador

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

that reunion in a nutshell..............God doesnt exist.........Religion its for ignorant people..........Live your life withouth restrictions

#3 jason

jason

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • florida

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:48 PM

along as others arent harmed but the unborn dont count.

#4 supamk3speed

supamk3speed

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Texas

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

Yes, you never know what that unborn fetus could turn into. Could be a case of Ovaltine in there for all you know!

#5 Portillo

Portillo

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Sydney

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

I wonder if Dawkins is going to baptize members of the audience into atheism, like he did before. :gigglesmile:

#6 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5714 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

I wonder if Dawkins is going to baptize members of the audience into atheism, like he did before. :gigglesmile:

Has he done that?

Does he claim that atheism is not a religion? If so, on what grounds since it seems that baptizing people is pretty religious.

#7 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:52 AM

that reunion in a nutshell..............God doesnt exist.........Religion its for ignorant people..........Live your life withouth restrictions

You forget, their words have power to change reality and make new truths. Truth is what they claim it to be. So they wag their tongues like Harry Potter waves his wand and poof words make them into gods (humanism). I mean who else has the ability to change reality with only words?

Celebrating reason is another phrase for worshipping thoughts which means they actually admit that it's their thoughts and reason that their faith in atheism and evolution are based on. Because if there were actual evidence that God did not exist, creation was not intelligent, and evolution were a true proven fact with mountains of empirical evidemce. The conference would be celebrating the actual evidence to that fact. Not the reasoning behind it. Get it? Their thoughts are their gods.

#8 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:56 AM

Has he done that?

Does he claim that atheism is not a religion? If so, on what grounds since it seems that baptizing people is pretty religious.

If he did it was done in mockery not as something that he thought needed to be done. Dawkins is all about causing hoopla to make his points, get noticed, make money, and have himself exalted. Both sides fall for it. The most popular speakers are just that because they can get both sides into some type of uproar, disagreement, or even agreement. If you take away his ability to do that you take away his ability to be popular and he becomes just like the rest of us.

#9 Portillo

Portillo

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Sydney

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

Has he done that?

I heard that during a tour of America he did. He asked members of the audience who wanted to convert to come up on stage. Maybe it was just a rumor or something, but I remember hearing about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users