Prototypical

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Ontario

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

From a theist's perspective, what is the purpose or benefit of prayer?

I can see that it is a form of positive thinking and can serve to focus one's thoughts and attention in a positive direction. Much like meditation I presume.

Would God not be aware of my thoughts and desires without my verbalizing them? Is it not presumptious of the person doing the praying to assume that God would need reminding or prodding regarding what s/he should do? Should a theist not assume that God knows exactly what needs doing?

#2 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Is it not presumptious of the person doing the praying to assume that God would need reminding or prodding regarding what s/he should do? Should a theist not assume that God knows exactly what needs doing?

One of the determining factors for me to convert to Christinaity was witnessing the prayers of a Christian being answered.

There are multiple purposes for prayer - to meet needs, to save souls, to strengthen your spirit, and last but not least, to establish a relationship with God. Jesus taught us that God "knows what you need before you ask him" (Matt 6:8), so it is not a case of "informing" God of some kind of "wish-list" that He is not conscious of.

#3 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:19 AM

In the days where kings ruled, a person had to go and make a petition before the king on someone Else's behalf or for themselves. First you have to have permission to appear before the king. Which being a Christian gives a person the ability to do this before the King of kings. And prayer is a way of spiritually appearing before God. But, all has to be asked through the Son. Which is our mediator between us And God. This is why all prayers are ended in Jesus name.

The other reason all has to go through the Son is because the new covenant is with the Son the old covenant is with the Father. So through the Son we can speak to the Father,

jn 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

And on the opposite end:

jn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Father God controls the drawing power unto the Son for salvation, So if a person is not drawn but does this out of trying to fit in, etc... He or she may not truly saved even though they think they are.

Example: This is also why so many Catholics find the faith empty because they were never drawn unto the Son by the Father. Baptized as babies they are considered safe in their doctrine. But doctrines do not save you Christ does and it has to be done through the drawing power of the Father. About 90% of the x-Christians I run into were Catholics. They don't realize they really had nothing to begin with as to the reason they felt they were living a lie and left.

And when others are pinned down you will find they did it because either their family was Christian, or they were convinced by another but not drawn to do it. Doing it any other way except being drawn does not save you. So a lot of x-Christians were never Christians to begin with they just never realized it. So what they deemed as Christianity and got mad about was not.

#4 Chris

Chris

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:My trade is whatever pays the bills. My real passion, and what I hope to make my living from someday, is old-time carpentry. Felling trees, hewing logs with a broad-axe, and building or restoring log structures in the Piney Woods.
  • Christian
  • Mississippi

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:42 AM

From a theist's perspective, what is the purpose or benefit of prayer?

I can see that it is a form of positive thinking and can serve to focus one's thoughts and attention in a positive direction. Much like meditation I presume.

Would God not be aware of my thoughts and desires without my verbalizing them? Is it not presumptious of the person doing the praying to assume that God would need reminding or prodding regarding what s/he should do? Should a theist not assume that God knows exactly what needs doing?

A king knows when his people are hungry; will he turn a deaf ear when they plead for crumbs?

No, he'll pour his love over them and feed them. Did they HAVE to ask for it? No. Does the king appreciate it when they petition him as provider and protector? Yes, I think so. Prayer is a verbal confirmation of our relationship with our Eternal King.

#5 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:40 AM

Prayer reminds us to rely on God. God is a Spirit. Yes, He knows all things, but He prefers that we talk to Him. Our reason for existence is communion with Him. Sometimes a brief thought like "Thank you Jesus, for my son." causes His Spirit to well up in me and becomes very powerful. Other times I need to take the time to have a deep talk with Him.

No... the power of prayer has nothing to do with positive thinking, even if a group of people all pray the same thing. I have prayed to "Jehovah" all my life, but my prayers did not have power at all.

My prayers have (real discernable) power now that I know Jesus.

P.S. It is unfortunate that you aren't here to read this answer.

#6 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Oh... and I also tried other types of positive thinking, Emotional Freedom Technique, etc.

Those were also not as effective as praying to Jesus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users