Feb 2012 Show Of The Month - Amino Acids And Abortion

9 replies to this topic

#1 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

Administrator / Forum Owner

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2444 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:34 AM

All, I've gotten really bad about not updating the weekly show here. I'm going to try to post the "best" of the month. The following broadcast includes a great suggestion by Ikester to talk about the atheist's contradictory worldview on abiogenesis and abortion, the dichotomy between "life" created in the lab (amino acids), and life in the womb.

Listen:

Posted Image

* Bob Enyart and Fred Williams Talk About Air and Life: The Real Science Friday co-hosts talk about animals, both on land and in the sea, designed to live comfortably with the enormous amounts of atmospheric and water pressure pressing in and down on us. The guys recommend that everyone subscribe to Answers Magazine from Ken Ham's Answers in Genesis ministry, where they found the article, Air Mass: A Weighty Topic in the 2012 winter edition.
* Florida Listener Asks about Amino Acids and Abortion: Isaac asked Bob and Fred to ponder the contradictory claims of many atheists regarding abiogenesis and abortion. By the way, abiogenesis is the study of how biological life might arise from inanimate matter through natural processes. (In their current debate on creation, Bob and the atheist AronRa both mentioned Lord Kelvin, a leading scientist who worked for decades after the publication of Darwin's Origin. Please consider his quote on abiogenesis from from the address he delivered as president of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, when after referencing the "vast mass of inductive evidence" in science, Lord Kelvin wrote:
"I am ready to adopt, as an article of scientific faith, true through all space and through all time, that life proceeds from life, and from nothing but life." -Kelvin
So, comparing abiogenesis to abortion, Isaac from Florida references a 1953 experiment in which Miller and Urey synthesized amino acids in a test tube. Talk about better living through chemistry! That was a great accomplishment. But while amino acids are the building blocks of biological molecules, amino acids are not life. So Isaac points out a contradiction:
1) That amino acids are claimed as a representation of life (yet there is not even a living cell). And:
2) The male or female embryo, so full of living cells with his or her own DNA, etc... is not human life.

After visiting the Denver Museum of Nature and Science with dozens of creationists and a local reporter, Bob pointed out a misleading exhibit headline referring to the 1953 Miller/Urey synthesis of amino acids which read: Life Created in the Lab?Bob wrote a letter to the editor to the Colorado Springs Gazette asking, "It's been fifty years since that Miller experiment! Don't they know if they made life yet or not?"
* Student from the School of Mines Weighs in on AronRa: Bob and Fred interview a local engineering student, Mark Bernhardt, about Bob's current debate with AronRa. It's fun!

#2 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks Fred! I really enjoy these..

#3 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for using my suggestion and mentioning me as well. Can I use the picture you guys came up with to do a blog page?

#4 Chris

Chris

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:My trade is whatever pays the bills. My real passion, and what I hope to make my living from someday, is old-time carpentry. Felling trees, hewing logs with a broad-axe, and building or restoring log structures in the Piney Woods.
  • Christian
  • Mississippi

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

Fantastic, sir.

#5 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2444 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy going to Broncos games, my son's HS basketball & baseball games, and my daughter's piano & dance recitals. I enjoy playing basketball (when able). I occasionally play keyboards for my church's praise team. I am a Senior Staff Firmware Engineer at Micron, and am co-host of Real Science Radio.
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for using my suggestion and mentioning me as well. Can I use the picture you guys came up with to do a blog page?

No problem, feel free to use it.

Fred

#6 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:07 PM

great suggestion by Ikester to talk about the atheist's contradictory worldview on abiogenesis and abortion, the dichotomy between "life" created in the lab (amino acids), and life in the womb.

Great suggestion. Love the picture.

#7 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Honorable Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5505 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

The idea of evolution has long predated Darwin, hence the fact that Newton lived before Darwin has no weight.

Also the dichotomy of the atheist version of "life" is a great idea Ike, I had a chuckle when I first heard it, thanks :D

#8 Fred Williams

Fred Williams

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2444 posts
  • Christian
  • Broomfield, Colorado

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

American Right to Life now displaying this on their homepage.

#9 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

American Right to Life now displaying this on their homepage.

Yeah I put that on my homepage http://yecheadquarters.org/ and already get a nasty e-mail from a well known Christian hater.

Here's his e-mail:

Your Message: - So your claiming that "many" atheists do not consider a human fetus/embryo to be an example of "life"????? You've gotta be kidding! Can you cite any source evidenceto support this - I'd love to see it!! Also' "pro-choice" is NOT a choice if it only promotes abortion as you seem to imply. This is only another inflammatory lie being promoted by yourself, including the monumentally stupid graphic. It seems every new creative writing attempt you post on your website hits a new low on the stupidity scale. ...same with the "Real Science" small-time radio show which I doubt has a listener base of more than 500.

He's basically been keeping tabs on me since he got banned here, some of you might remember him, his name is Neil Yoder. My response to this was:

It's nice to know you care so much you read my blog all the time.

#10 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

It's nice to know you care so much you read my blog all the time.

Tee hee hee!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users