Portillo

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Sydney

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

Instead of enjoying their lives and not worrying about religion, atheists seem to prefer spending their time talking about God. They are more obsessed with the Bible and Christianity then Christians.
  • Remnant of The Abyss likes this

#2 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

Indeed... This is just one of the many facts that atheists hide from them-selves every time they come to Christian sites and display their apologetics “Against God”. If you notice, they completely fail in their “Apologetics FOR Atheism”. When cornered, the best they can muster is “We Don’t Know” (more of an apologetics “For Agnosticism”) as opposed to the theist, who not only argues FOR their theism but AGAINST atheism as well.

#3 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:08 AM

Instead of enjoying their lives and not worrying about religion, atheists seem to prefer spending their time talking about God. They are more obsessed with the Bible and Christianity then Christians.

It boils down to what they know might be true but they don't want it to be true, It bugs them and worries them to the point that they " need to have constant justification that they are making the right choice". Some people wonder why when they go to church they cannot stay awake. Is it because the sermon is just totally boring? Or maybe they did not get enough sleep the night before? Nope. You see Satan does not allow a person rest. This is because those who do his bidding he will worry them and run them as much as he can. So when a person like this goes to church where Satan can do nothing. All the worry and running for him is no longer there. What makes them sleepy and unable to stay awake is the Holy Spirit showing them that there is peace that is beyond all understanding and this peace overwhelms them to the point they don't even understand it.

I have heard atheists actually say this: I don;t get anything out of church except sleep. And regardless of how I try to stay awake I always fall asleep. So I don't go because I don;t get anything out of it.

They don;t realize that the Holy Spirit is trying to show them that he can give them rest where they don;t have it. No more constant need for justification, no more running around trying to find Christians to debate or convert. No more haveing to dislike people just because they disagree. When all that's taken away all that left is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz from the weight that can be lifted off their shoulders.

#4 DawnS

DawnS

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:apologetics, history, astronomy; sewing, cross-stitching, and other crafts
  • Christian
  • Mayodan, North Carolina

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

So true. I am a member of another forum that has a religion subforum, and most of the posts I see there are atheists trying to debunk Christianity. Atheists there also have their own subforum specifically for them, but they seem to prefer hanging out in the religion area.

#5 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:01 PM

They also like to critique religion for being intolerant based on moral grounds, as if their intolerance toward religion somehow makes them more tolerant. What they don't get is that no one tolerates everything. We vote our conscience, and they can't stand that we have a firm moral stance, and a vote. We are not a theocracy in the US, but no one can stop me from voting what I believe to be moral into law.

#6 Portillo

Portillo

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Sydney

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

One things for sure, atheists will have no excuses.

#7 gilbo12345

gilbo12345

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4878 posts
  • Interests:Completed BBiotech (Honours)

Currently studying Masters of Teaching.

Enjoys games of tactics and strategy.
  • (private)
  • Creationist
  • Australia

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

Except for "why didn't you show yourself to me?"...

To which God could say... "Look around dude"

#8 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:10 AM

To be quite clear, no one will. :(

#9 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:12 AM

Except for "why didn't you show yourself to me?"...

To which God could say... "Look around dude"

Indeed... Or he could say "I had it explained in Romans Chapter One"...

#10 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Raised Catholic and became born again in college. Now I'm non denominational.
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

This is very true. I've spent a lot of time on IMDb attempting to witness for God, the Holy Bible, and Christianity, and I've had no problems attracting a lot of attention from atheists. They habitually lie to themselves regarding this mater of "obsession". They:

- deny that they spend too much time arguing about God, a deity they claim does not exist
- deny that they hate Christians and all things Christian
- deny that they do not attack ANY other religion, that the target is ALWAYS Christianity
- deny that atheism is in itself a form of "religion" and that they have made "science" their God

While I find that Christians have a peace, the atheists struggle with an inner turmoil. My most important observation is that they deny science when science and faith interest. Here's a signature I like to use when posting on IMDb:

The Darwinist Paradox: "I believe in science EXCEPT where science and faith intersect, complementing each other. At that point I will deny that the science is correct as well as insist that the faith is still wrong."

A perfect example of this when I had a particularly nasty God-hater trolling me around, screaming at me that "the Bible is full of errors". So to me, a good "proof" that these atheists are always looking for would be to present them with some science. I thought, "is not using a search engine like Google proof, and is this not "science"?" So I then came up with this...

GOOGLE: "the first person who discovered an error in the Bible, authenticated" to learn more about this famous person, who alone has shaken the very foundations of Christianity!!! Search Results: http://img155.images...0/noresults.png

What about looking at *similar* search results, those displayed "without quotes"? Examining screen shots of the first 10 results clearly shows how there isn't even a mention of an authenticated Biblical error accredited to anyone. Why? Because Biblical "errors" don't exist and that's why none have been authenticated!

So we have the world's most famous, most widely distributed book, and the search engine, which has scoured the internet, comes up with NOTHING *similar* to the search criteria, realistically speaking of course! Now, THAT's what I call proof!

First 10 Search Results (nothing remotely related to Biblical error):
http://img716.images...thoutquote1.png(results)
http://img546.images...thoutquote2.png (results cont.)
http://img3.imagesha...thoutquote3.png (results cont.)
http://img823.images...thoutquote4.png(results cont.)

Finally, a well known God-hater on IMDb boards is quoted as saying "Biblical errors and contradictions are there to see. It CANNOT be perfect as it was edited by men." But if it's "edited by men" it should clearly have authenticated errors. It does NOT. And why? Because it's God's WORD, divinely inspired and PRESERVED by God Himself.

Q.E.D. quod erat demonstrandum, which translates as "which was to be demonstrated"

And how do the atheists respond to this? They claim that I'm not interpreting the search results correctly. Why? Because of course they are in denial, and it is exactly as I stated before, they "believe in science EXCEPT where science and faith intersect, complementing each other. At that point I will deny that the science is correct as well as insist that the faith is still wrong."

#11 Portillo

Portillo

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Sydney

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:07 AM

Go to any creation, intelligent design, apologetic, Christian youtube video and all you see are comments from atheists. I dont think I have ever looked at an atheist video on youtube because I dont care.

#12 Portillo

Portillo

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Sydney

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

It boils down to what they know might be true but they don't want it to be true, It bugs them and worries them to the point that they " need to have constant justification that they are making the right choice".

True. Thats why atheists are constantly trying to mock Christianity because they believe it justifies there position.

#13 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:26 AM

It boils down to what they know might be true but they don't want it to be true, It bugs them and worries them to the point that they " need to have constant justification that they are making the right choice".

True. Thats why atheists are constantly trying to mock Christianity because they believe it justifies there position.

And this is the basic Bill Maher tactic for attacking ‘Religion’ in general, and more specifically ‘Christianity’.

#14 Alex

Alex

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Ottawa, Canada

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:28 PM

Hello all, let me introduce myself quickly :)

Ok, My name is Alex, nice to meet you, and I'm an atheist. Despite being raised in a catholic family, going to church at least twice a month, spending 12 years in a catholic school system, I never started believing. In fact, I have been an atheist my entire life, although I have only discovered that fact about a few years ago.

One fact that has perhaps led me to my atheism was reading Greek/Roman mythology at the same time as the bible for kids, and accepting the common notion that what was in the mythology book was not true. Well, I also accepted then that what was in the bible was not a literal truth in any way either.

Religion had never concerned me at all during my life. You woke up, brushed your teeth, shook hands to say hello, the sky was blue, you go to church. It was a fact of life, a kind of accepted convention, simple as that.

Then, later on, I read up on evolution and stumbled on the evolution vs creationism debate. I also stumbled upon creationism, biblical fundamentalism, etc etc etc. That was when I found out I was an atheist. It was also when I found out that religious people truly believed what was written in their holy book to be true! It literally hit me like a bag of bricks, I just couldn't wrap my head around it! I had always assumed people thought as I had, trying to understand the cause of everything, but now they believed in God! The believe Jesus really came back from the dead, and was literally watching down on us from Heaven for every day of our lives!

From then on, I discovered the positive impact religion has had on many people around the world, as well as the despicable things religions have done and continue to do. I have made friends with an ex-mormon who has been mentally abused at the hands of his religion. I have heard tales of children being s*xually abused in churches. I have heard tales of people being put to death because they didn't believe in the same prophet as others! What was all this insanity?

And that is what sparked my interest in religion.

In a way it's a kind of morbid fascination, to try to look inside someone's head and try to see the world through their eyes. It's a kind of morbid fascination to try to understand people who would rather pray than send their child to a hospital , and let her die of diabetes of all things. It's a kind of morbid fascination to see religious institutions claiming the moral authority of being peaceful, gang up on groups of people they hate, using their holy texts to justify whatever they commit, then to get forgiven for whatever they couldn't justify. It's a morbid fascination to see a religion, whose sole purpose is supposed to ensure the spiritual well-being of its followers get involved in politics, and to try to influence the course of this lowly doomed world. It's a morbid fascination to see how some people can be absolutely terrified of hell, enraptured by promises of heaven, who will do anything to escape an eternal torment and get eternal reward. It's a morbid fascination to see how religion can twist a person's mind to such extremes, and yet that such practices remain acceptable and part of the norm. It's a morbid fascination to see the whole of society as a kind of giant brainwashing social experiment, where the most successful brainwashing industry (scientology among others) can proliferate under the guise of 'religious freedom'.

That is why I am obsessed with religion. Because instead of asking 'why are you religious?' the normal question to ask is 'why aren't you?'. Because instead of saying thanking their fellow man, religion is all about thanking the lord. Because instead of comforting people, religion can be used as a fear motivator. Because all of this is accepted and considered part of the norm.

Because from where I stand, more than half the population has some sort of mental condition, and that half of the population is in control. That is why I am obsessed with religion.

Thank you for reading through all this, I hope my random blathering is not too incoherent :)

#15 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

Hello Alex, my name is Ron; its nice to meet you as well. I am a Christian Theist. I use to be a hedonistic, materialistic atheist (as that was the world-view in which I was raised). But, in my early twenties, I researched the veracity, historicity, and authenticity of the Bible (specifically the New Testament) as I thought it an easy task to disprove. Unfortunately, I found that I had absolutely no evidence against it! In fact, ALL the evidence points directly toward the fact that Jesus was who and what He said He was.

Further, ALL the logical, rational and scientific evidence points directly to a Creator/Initial Causer/God, and there is absolutely NO evidence for materialistic atheistic origins (the universe, life intelligence). In other words, atheism as a world-view and philosophy has no foundation. Thusly I had no logical, rational or scientific choice but to come to the conclusion that I simply had no foundation to believe in atheism anymore.

And looking back, I couldn't reconcile the despicable things atheism have done and continue to do Christians and Jews (amongst others) around the world. All the murder, abuse, imprisonment, and other nefarious actions perpetrated by Atheists like Stalin, Pol-Pot (etc...)

Anyway, I have found that the excuses atheists use to come to a Christian forum and argue against Christianity, when atheists cannot even sustain a cogent argument (with logical, rational and empirical scientific facts and evidence) FOR materialistic atheism, reveals that atheists actually require MORE faith for their world-view than does the Christian Theist, is quite disconcerting indeed!

#16 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Raised Catholic and became born again in college. Now I'm non denominational.
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

It's a morbid fascination to see..

Hello Alex.

Your entire post can be summarized into two main themes:

1) Your 'morbid fascination' of religion stems from your problem with MAN, not from God. You look at man's transgressions and blame God for them. That is your mistake.
2) Your 'morbid fascination' of death and human misery stems from your problem with SIN, not from God. You look at sickness and death and blame God for them. That is your mistake as well.

Both #1 and #2 boils down to SIN. Sin is what occurred with the fall of man. When sin entered the world, the world became chaotic and man was a enmity with God. However God made provisions for this to allow for a return to His grace and love. He sent Jesus Christ as the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

Since you obviously hate sin so much that you've taken time to discuss it here, why not cut to the chase and take it to the next step, the logical conclusion? Ponder this quote (mine from another forum):

Those who are at enmity with God are confused. Sin is what first created chaos in the world, and it is this chaos that now continues to create destruction and death.

If one hates the injustices and iniquities of this world, one must, by default, **hate sin**. Furthermore, it's only logical that if one despises the consequences of sin, one should therefore choose to know and love a Holy God who hates sin more than we do; He who not only loves us and is on our side, but this gracious God who sacrificed His Son, therefore making provisions for us to escape the wages of sin.

Edited by Remnant of The Abyss, 16 March 2012 - 08:12 AM.

• Salsa likes this

#17 Alex

Alex

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Ottawa, Canada

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hello Alex, my name is Ron; its nice to meet you as well. I am a Christian Theist. I use to be a hedonistic, materialistic atheist (as that was the world-view in which I was raised). But, in my early twenties, I researched the veracity, historicity, and authenticity of the Bible (specifically the New Testament) as I thought it an easy task to disprove. Unfortunately, I found that I had absolutely no evidence against it! In fact, ALL the evidence points directly toward the fact that Jesus was who and what He said He was.

Hello Ron!
I might undertake a similar task when I will have graduated and will have my life back :) At present however, I must limit myself to a single hour-long Bible study every week to understand the Bible.
Also, I just want to say that I have talked to a(small) number of people who've had dramatic conversion experiences, and most of them, either when their faith was waning or when they felt despair or apathy because of an atheistic amoral worldview, a lot of those people descended into materialistic hedonism until they reached the bottom of the pit, and there they had an epiphany. About half of the people Ive talked to have said that they had a clear revelation of how the world works, of how everything is interconnected, and it gave them a new respect for mankind and our planet. The other half, of which you seem to be part of, have found that God's love is indeed real and eternal, and have devoted their lives to God.

Further, ALL the logical, rational and scientific evidence points directly to a Creator/Initial Causer/God, and there is absolutely NO evidence for materialistic atheistic origins (the universe, life intelligence). In other words, atheism as a world-view and philosophy has no foundation. Thusly I had no logical, rational or scientific choice but to come to the conclusion that I simply had no foundation to believe in atheism anymore.

The evidence science discovers points to how, not why. I cannot dispute that maybe the origin of life and the universe is indeed caused by a Creator or not, but I can dispute how that creator went about his business of creating.
Also, atheism is no more a world-view or a philosophy than is being Liberal or having the New York Giants as your favorite team. Atheism is not my basis for my worldview, it is only a facet of who I am. I do not believe in God. Plain and simple. I do not claim he doesn't exist nor do I claim that there is absolutely nothing out there. Atheism is not a basis for my worldview, it is simply a facet of me that refutes what is needed to build a theistic worldview, simple as that. I have to look further to find other philosophies to build a worldview which is in accordance with my atheism. It's sort of how like one would go about building a house if they want it to be made of wood instead of concrete blocks. On top of that preference, the wood-builder must consider different solutions to problems that using wood instead of cement would cause him. The preference for wood is just a facet.

And looking back, I couldn't reconcile the despicable things atheism have done and continue to do Christians and Jews (amongst others) around the world. All the murder, abuse, imprisonment, and other nefarious actions perpetrated by Atheists like Stalin, Pol-Pot (etc...)

Well, same here :) I cannot reconcile the actions of a Church who claims to be the ultimate morality, when they have developed a specific protocol to keep child molesters free and protected, as well as mechanism to ensure that anyone who so accuses the Church is either excommunicated or made to be silent.
As for Stalin and Pol Pot, they did not kill in the name of atheism. Yes, their atheism might have made it easier for them to kill, but they do need more reasons on top of their atheism. Similarly, being religious is not enough, you need fanaticism and fundamentalism to drive a muslim to crash a plane into a building.

Anyway, I have found that the excuses atheists use to come to a Christian forum and argue against Christianity, when atheists cannot even sustain a cogent argument (with logical, rational and empirical scientific facts and evidence) FOR materialistic atheism, reveals that atheists actually require MORE faith for their world-view than does the Christian Theist, is quite disconcerting indeed!

Well, I would like to have my philosophies and logic tested :) If my logic and reasoning are found to be lacking, I must change in order to better myself :)
Also, you seem to forget that atheism is not a position FOR something, it is a position AGAINST something, namely the belief in deities and all that is associated with it. Atheism doesn't provide anything at all. To find something that does provide, atheists need to look elsewhere. Lacking a belief in God is not an indicator of faith. Perhaps asserting that gods no not exist is indeed an indicator of faith, but I would argue with those individuals to show that that position is indeed untenable and unreasonable.

Hello Alex.

Your entire post can be summarized into two main themes:

1) Your 'morbid fascination' of religion stems from your problem with MAN, not from God. You look at man's transgressions and blame God for them. That is your mistake.

Hello Remnant of the Abyss.
I completely agree. I have an issue with men who say they think they know the mind of God, when in fact these men do not have any privileged access to the thoughts of deities any more than the rest of humanity does. I do not blame God, because to me he, as the entity that Christians claim him to be, does not exist. A god similar to the god of the bible might exist, but not God.

2) Your 'morbid fascination' of death and human misery stems from your problem with SIN, not from God. You look at sickness and death and blame God for them. That is your mistake as well.

Both #1 and #2 boils down to SIN. Sin is what occurred with the fall of man. When sin entered the world, the world became chaotic and man was a enmity with God. However God made provisions for this to allow for a return to His grace and love. He sent Jesus Christ as the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

I do believe that sin is an imaginary disease created by the church in order to sell mankind a miracle remedy. I have read up on many cult psychology tactics, and one of them is to tell people that they are doomed, and only your cult can same them. Christians do it, Mormons do it, scientologists do it. To me, it's all the same baloney.
I would blame God if he were omnipotent, omnibenevolent and omnipresent. If that were the case, God would know about all human misery and suffering, he would want to help us, and he would hae the means to do so. The fact he hasn't and doesn't act shows that either he is lacking one of the above qualities, he isn't there, or there are things we do not know about him. If the first case is true, then something in the Bible is false. If the second case is true, then christianity would be false. If we do not know everything about him, how can we get to know more? And if we cannot, why rely on such an unreliable entity?

I have yet to understand what exactly is the fall of man, and when it occurred. You would think that God would have left us plenty of evidence to find out exactly when such a momentous event would have happened.
I would also like to point out that the entire universe is chaotic. It did not happen suddenly because man pissed off God.
It has also always struck me as odd, that God would condemn Adam, Eve, and thousands of their descendants to pain, suffering and misery himself, then to send his son to 'fix' the curse he himself put on man.

Since you obviously hate sin so much that you've taken time to discuss it here, why not cut to the chase and take it to the next step, the logical conclusion? Ponder this quote (mine from another forum):

Those who are at enmity with God are confused. Sin is what first created chaos in the world, and it is this chaos that now continues to create destruction and death.

If one hates the injustices and iniquities of this world, one must, by default, **hate sin**. Furthermore, it's only logical that if one despises the consequences of sin, one should therefore choose to know and love a Holy God who hates sin more than we do; He who not only loves us and is on our side, but this gracious God who sacrificed His Son, therefore making provisions for us to escape the wages of sin.

I would disagree first of all with the point of hating sin itself. You cannot hate the idea of adultery. You can hate the idea of people committing adultery.
Second, death and destruction are a natural part of life, not the consequence of a man and a woman eating a fruit from a tree God told them not to touch.
And third, it is not logical that simply because one hates something, one should love an entity that hates that 'something' more than you do. If you hate G*ys, does that mean you love Santorum, because he hates G*ys more than you do?
And third, again, I am still wondering the logic of why God would send his son to save us from the punishment he enacted upon humanity.

#18 Alex

Alex

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Ottawa, Canada

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

Also, here would be another reason adding fuel to my morbid fascination of religion.

To me, it's just a cracker, a piece of bread. To others, it's aholy object whose disrespect is punishable by death. I don't think there should be any kind of turmoil over disrespect of an oatmeal cookie, but some people make a pretty big deal out of the eucharist.

http://scienceblogs....ned_cracker.php

#19 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hello Ron!
I might undertake a similar task when I will have graduated and will have my life back At present however, I must limit myself to a single hour-long Bible study every week to understand the Bible.

Hey, no problem. It doesn’t happen overnight, it a period of study and reflection.

Also, I just want to say that I have talked to a(small) number of people who've had dramatic conversion experiences, and most of them, either when their faith was waning or when they felt despair or apathy because of an atheistic amoral worldview, a lot of those people descended into materialistic hedonism until they reached the bottom of the pit, and there they had an epiphany. About half of the people Ive talked to have said that they had a clear revelation of how the world works, of how everything is interconnected, and it gave them a new respect for mankind and our planet. The other half, of which you seem to be part of, have found that God's love is indeed real and eternal, and have devoted their lives to God.

Actually no; I had no connection with a loving God until I first proved (via the historical, logical and scientific evidences) that atheism has no foundation, but God, on the other hand had a great foundation. After that time, my Biblical studies and witnessing of a great many other things showed me the Gods love through his son Jesus Christ.

So, having gone through the evidences, and not relying on what MAN did of his own recourse, and through his own proclivities, in the name of his god(s) or materialistic/socialistic worldview, I “found that God's love is indeed real and eternal, and have devoted” my “to God”.

The evidence science discovers points to how, not why. I cannot dispute that maybe the origin of life and the universe is indeed caused by a Creator or not, but I can dispute how that creator went about his business of creating.

Actually, the “evidence” from the empirical scientific method points to BOTH “how” and “Why”; maybe mostly how, at this point, but “why” as well. But it also doesn’t always point to a whole lot of either one (yet)!

For example: We know “How” and “Why” humans procreate. It is no longer a great mystery. There is much yet to learn, but we have a good grasp on the basics of the “how” and “why”. We also know “how” and “Why” we can have a much lower mortality rate; “MUCH” lower than the 18 and 1900’s.

Further, the “maybe” you attempt to assert (or force upon) the origins of all of this (the universe, life, intelligence) in a non sequitur, as ALL the logical, rational, and scientific evidence points DIRECTLY to an “Initial Causer”; this alone causes great concern for the materialistic atheist, because it renders his would-view/philosophical life’s-view as foundationless and faith filled. Also, you have absolutely NO “dispute how that creator went about his business of creating” because neither YOU nor I can even come close to fathoming HOW He did it.

Also, atheism is no more a world-view or a philosophy than is being Liberal or having the New York Giants as your favorite team.

That would not only be incorrect, but a mischaracterization as well. An atheist is someone who “believes” (or is of the philosophical bent) that there is no God (or gods etc…). A liberal, on the other hand can be an atheist, a theist, an agnostic (etc…). You can also be a liberal or conservative New York Giants fan (or even a liberal or conservative New York Giant for that matter).

Therefore, for you to make such a claim is a bit disingenuous to say the least.

Atheism is not my basis for my worldview, it is only a facet of who I am. I do not believe in God. Plain and simple. I do not claim he doesn't exist nor do I claim that there is absolutely nothing out there. Atheism is not a basis for my worldview, it is simply a facet of me that refutes what is needed to build a theistic worldview, simple as that. I have to look further to find other philosophies to build a worldview which is in accordance with my atheism. It's sort of how like one would go about building a house if they want it to be made of wood instead of concrete blocks. On top of that preference, the wood-builder must consider different solutions to problems that using wood instead of cement would cause him. The preference for wood is just a facet.

Unfortunately for your descriptive sensibilities, “Atheist” is literally translated as “No God”. So I’ll give you this warning now: Equivocations are not allowed at this forum. We are all about open and honest discourse, not “conversion by definition” as a point of argumentation. So, if you want to continue along that trail, you will be doing it elsewhere.

Well, same here I cannot reconcile the actions of a Church who claims to be the ultimate morality, when they have developed a specific protocol to keep child molesters free and protected, as well as mechanism to ensure that anyone who so accuses the Church is either excommunicated or made to be silent.

Again, we’re talking about the actions of man, not Christianity. If you could show me, in the New Testament, where Jesus (the foundation of the Christian faith) condoned such, then you might have an argument. Otherwise, you are simply attempting to perpetrate a fraud by superimposing the actions of man over that of God.

As for Stalin and Pol Pot, they did not kill in the name of atheism. Yes, their atheism might have made it easier for them to kill, but they do need more reasons on top of their atheism. Similarly, being religious is not enough, you need fanaticism and fundamentalism to drive a muslim to crash a plane into a building.

Which is exactly my point, and why your argument fails on that point. Atheists like Stalin and Pol Pot were fanatical in their atheistic fundamentalism via communism in order to kill all those that they were responsible for.

Well, I would like to have my philosophies and logic tested If my logic and reasoning are found to be lacking, I must change in order to better myself

It’s always good to grow. If one is willing to do so, that is…

Also, you seem to forget that atheism is not a position FOR something, it is a position AGAINST something, namely the belief in deities and all that is associated with it.

No, you seem not to understand that atheism IS a position FOR there being NO God. Namely, the atheistic belief that there are NO deities and all that is associated with it. Your initial argumentation began with Bradlaugh as an attempt to water down the definition of atheism; to make it more of an “agnostic” world-view. Which, again, is nothing more than conversion by definition.

Atheism doesn't provide anything at all. To find something that does provide, atheists need to look elsewhere. Lacking a belief in God is not an indicator of faith. Perhaps asserting that gods no not exist is indeed an indicator of faith, but I would argue with those individuals to show that that position is indeed untenable and unreasonable.

Once again, you are attempting to hide from the fact that your so-called lack of a belief in God is a “belief” that there is NO God. And you may attempt to argue against simply provides the strength of your faith.

#20 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

I do believe that sin is an imaginary disease created by the church in order to sell mankind a miracle remedy.

That's a shame you believe this. There's really nothing for me to discuss with you further. I don't believe in "luck" per se, but I wish you the best of luck and hope you find what need to find, if indeed you are seeking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users