• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Movies. music, science.
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:12 AM

Sawadee krap,

My name is Somchai and I am Thai. I am new Christian in a country where most people are Buddhist. I grew up Buddhist. Buddhism has good teachings but cannot offer the great gift that Jesus gives us.

As Buddhist I never thought there was a different way of looking at creation other than the explanation of science. Now I have friends tell me that world is young and life appeared no evolution.
I am not sure. I went to another Christian forum and saidsame thing and a Christian told me I am not born again. I thought I was. He said test of born again was to be able to see "the kingdom of God" and that I could not because I am not sure about age of earth. I don't think we can see kingdom in this life, said so but he disappeared. So I come here with questions.

#2 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

Hi Somchai and welcome! :)

Don't worry too much about what that other Christian said. While he is correct that one needs to be born again in order to see God's kingdom and come to a deepter understanding of the truth, there is nothing in scripture that even remotely suggests that being born again has anything to do with how sure you are about the age of the earth.

If you confess Jesus as Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead then you are saved.
  • JayShel likes this

#3 SomchaiA

SomchaiA

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

Hi Somchai and welcome! :)

Don't worry too much about what that other Christian said. While he is correct that one needs to be born again in order to see God's kingdom and come to a deepter understanding of the truth, there is nothing in scripture that even remotely suggests that being born again has anything to do with how sure you are about the age of the earth.

If you confess Jesus as Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead then you are saved.

I also think it is necessary to be born again to see kingdom of God, but he said he can see it right now. I think that is for the coming of the Lord in the future. He said his view of God's Kingdom revealed creation and its time frame.

Jesus is Lord and he rose from the dead.

#4 MamaElephant

MamaElephant

former JW

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • Interests:Bible, Home-schooling, Education, Fitness, Young Earth Science, Evolution, Natural Medicine, Board Games, Video Games, Study of cult mind control and Counseling for those coming out of cult mind control.
  • Christian
  • I am His! 1/29/12

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

Sawadee krap,

My name is Somchai and I am Thai. I am new Christian in a country where most people are Buddhist. I grew up Buddhist. Buddhism has good teachings but cannot offer the great gift that Jesus gives us.

As Buddhist I never thought there was a different way of looking at creation other than the explanation of science. Now I have friends tell me that world is young and life appeared no evolution.
I am not sure. I went to another Christian forum and saidsame thing and a Christian told me I am not born again. I thought I was. He said test of born again was to be able to see "the kingdom of God" and that I could not because I am not sure about age of earth. I don't think we can see kingdom in this life, said so but he disappeared. So I come here with questions.

Not a good reason to question someones' salvation. If you want some reassurance, then study Romans 10:9-13 deeply and make sure you understand the meaning of each word and sentence. I was not saved because I did not know the meaning of the words Lord or resurrected. Also, when I was recently saved, I called on Jesus in trust for the first time.

My husband and I were reassured of our salvation by reading Romans chapter 8 and the book of 1 John, also John chapter 4,7 and 14 helped me. My good friend says that the Psalms especially 139 helped her.

:) I would love to hear insights from you contrasing Christianity and Buddhism... Do you mind if I quote you?

#5 ikester7579

ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Sawadee krap,

All it takes is belief in Jesus Christ and confession that he died for your sins and was raised from the dead and you are saved. The rest is what will be worked out as a part of your faith as grow in your faith. You won;t be judged on what you currently are not sure of. But when you see that the Bible says it so at that point you are responsible for what you believe (have faith in) when it's clear as to what the Bible says.

If we had evidence for all that God says to have faith in then faith would not be needed and their would be no excuse, once saved for having some doubts. It being said in the Bible and you being able to observe it means there would be absolute evidence which would require absolute judgment. Having to have faith leaves us leeway for our imperfections (sinful nature), and our doubts. For if we were required to believe it all the moment of salvation hardly any of us would make it. If we were responsible for all sins known to God the moment of salvation a perfect life would be require perfection of imperfect people. All of this would condemn us as to the reason we can only be judged for what we know.

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Knoweth is the key word here. You see good has to be known before evil (sin) can be defined. Until the time of knowledge of good is obtained you are considered innocent of the sin because you did not know. But the moment you come to an understanding that it is sin is the very moment you become responsible for that sin if you continue in it.

So because of this every judgment will be different because everyone's understanding of good and evil is different. This is how a judgment can be fair to everyone.

Example: If you stand 2 Christians before God to be judged and one has been saved for 6 months and the other for 40 years. Would it be fair to judge the 6 month Christian by the same standard the 40 year Christian will be judged by? Of course not. So the new in Christ will have more leeway to learn. Those who know more will have less leeway in judgment. Which means you won't be judged for sins you knew not of.

Example: Let's say you were doing something that one day you found out was a sin. At that very moment you become responsible and most ask for forgiveness and try to abstain from doing it. But if you did not know and died not knowing then you are innocent of it. And because God can look into our hearts to know for sure what was known by each person so there will be no excuse made that will hold up. God will know you better then you know yourself. So all judgment will be fair.

#6 SomchaiA

SomchaiA

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

Not a good reason to question someones' salvation. If you want some reassurance, then study Romans 10:9-13 deeply and make sure you understand the meaning of each word and sentence. I was not saved because I did not know the meaning of the words Lord or resurrected. Also, when I was recently saved, I called on Jesus in trust for the first time.

My husband and I were reassured of our salvation by reading Romans chapter 8 and the book of 1 John, also John chapter 4,7 and 14 helped me. My good friend says that the Psalms especially 139 helped her.

:) I would love to hear insights from you contrasing Christianity and Buddhism... Do you mind if I quote you?

The Buddha was a good man who taught good things and said we should seek elightenment. This is hard. and one must do all the effort to get there. Jesus was also a great teacher but He firmly promises salvation, and he did the work. More later when I have time.

#7 SomchaiA

SomchaiA

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

All it takes is belief in Jesus Christ and confession that he died for your sins and was raised from the dead and you are saved. The rest is what will be worked out as a part of your faith as grow in your faith. You won;t be judged on what you currently are not sure of. But when you see that the Bible says it so at that point you are responsible for what you believe (have faith in) when it's clear as to what the Bible says.

Yes, I agree.

If we had evidence for all that God says to have faith in then faith would not be needed and their would be no excuse, once saved for having some doubts. It being said in the Bible and you being able to observe it means there would be absolute evidence which would require absolute judgment. Having to have faith leaves us leeway for our imperfections (sinful nature), and our doubts. For if we were required to believe it all the moment of salvation hardly any of us would make it. If we were responsible for all sins known to God the moment of salvation a perfect life would be require perfection of imperfect people. All of this would condemn us as to the reason we can only be judged for what we know.

This is my understanding.

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Knoweth is the key word here. You see good has to be known before evil (sin) can be defined. Until the time of knowledge of good is obtained you are considered innocent of the sin because you did not know. But the moment you come to an understanding that it is sin is the very moment you become responsible for that sin if you continue in it.

So because of this every judgment will be different because everyone's understanding of good and evil is different. This is how a judgment can be fair to everyone.

Example: If you stand 2 Christians before God to be judged and one has been saved for 6 months and the other for 40 years. Would it be fair to judge the 6 month Christian by the same standard the 40 year Christian will be judged by? Of course not. So the new in Christ will have more leeway to learn. Those who know more will have less leeway in judgment. Which means you won't be judged for sins you knew not of.

Example: Let's say you were doing something that one day you found out was a sin. At that very moment you become responsible and most ask for forgiveness and try to abstain from doing it. But if you did not know and died not knowing then you are innocent of it. And because God can look into our hearts to know for sure what was known by each person so there will be no excuse made that will hold up. God will know you better then you know yourself. So all judgment will be fair.

I think you are correct Ikester. Thank you for sharing this with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users