ikester7579

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12500 posts
  • Interests:God, creation, etc...
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • I'm non-denominational

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Was looking in my control panel to my website-blog when I noticed this link: http://wordpress-top-rank.info/ (don;t click on it).

I thought wordpress, which is what program I use for my blog, let's see what this is about. I click only to have myself rerouted to another page that has a video trying to sell me something called "Commission Killer". It' supposed to be some type of program that makes you millions of dollars. So I was skeptic right from the start.

So I tried to exit the page, a pop up pops up asking if leaving the page is really what I want to do. Except there is no option to leave anyway unless you look at their next offer to you. Now I know it's a scam. So I click to get it over with then exit the page, I looked up the supposed business on the internet to see if it was a scam and what I got was a bunch of websites that claimed to be giving a review etc... When they were just trying to sell the idea, Then I thought: If they went to all this trouble how much you want to bet they also installed something I don;t want on my computer. So I scanned and found a Trojan (spyware) on my pc. Considering I scan my pc about 5 times a week and I only go to certain sites, I know the Trojan was installed by them. also considering I just scanned it yesterday.

So if you see this link or end up on the Commission Killer website. Make sure that you certainly don't buy into it, and scan you pc to make sure they did not install something.

What is a trojan and why you need to be careful: A Trojan horse, or Trojan, is a standalone malicious program that does not attempt to infect files unlike a computer virus nor replicate itself with the intent of infecting other computers unlike a computer worm, a Trojan horse can make copies of themselves, steal information, or harm their host computer systems.

There are several scam website like this popping up everywhere. So if you run into one that is like this make sure you scan you pc with your virus scanner and a good spyware scanner.

#2 Athelas

Athelas

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Brussels, Belgium

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:28 AM

If you ever encounter a window that you cannot close, try ALT + F4, if that fails, use your Task Manager to kill the process. However, it might have been to late already though.

Most browsers have add-ons that ask your permission if a website is trying to download a file, install a program or execute a script which is highly recommended if you want to visit unknown websites.

Thanks for the warning.

#3 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

That's why I use an addon called NoScript. It is a pain to configure, but it doesn't let anything run that I don't want running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users