perry_eh

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:30 PM

I am usually too humble for such things, but I thought that it may be a good idea for those of like mind to know a touch about a poster.

I am a cradle Catholic and have just as of recently began to appreciate the merrits of Roman Catholicism and have grown more solid as a Catholic. I always said I was Christian first, but have come to appreciate more of what it is to be a Catholic.

I have 6 children with another on the way and recieve the odd bit of flac from these over-populationist loons from time to time.

A regular poster suggested this site, and at first look I didn't give it much thought, but looking through some of Fred's material, my interest was sparked.

I have a computer science background thus giving me a good appreciation of Fred's work here.

I must say that some of the material here has served to fill in a few gaps for me and I appreciate the effort that people here are doing, as they do as Christ instructed by using their gifts for others.
As a new person, I want to say that the poster ike should reconsider sharing his gift here, as I have, from a limited prospective, appreciated his insight.

Finally I am from Ontario Canada and I am saddened to see what this fine county has been doing by slowly removing Christ from it's midst.

#2 Calypsis4

Calypsis4

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2043 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Midwest, USA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Welcome to the board, friend.

#3 Ron

Ron

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6530 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Johnstown, PA

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Welcome to the forum Perry

#4 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Welcome to the forum. I am glad you have been encouraged from your time spent here and hope you like it here enough to stay.

I am usually too humble for such things

We may pursue humility by God's grace, and we may be humbled, but saying "I am humble" (not boastful) is a self-contradicting statement, since it is generally a proud/boastful thing to claim. Was this an attempt at subtle humor or an innocent mistake? I cannot tell. It make me chuckle a bit since I hear a sermon on this recently.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. A large family can be hard work and certainly confuses most people these days who don't want to grow up themselves, but each child is a blessing from God and all that hard work pays off. I am sure you know that better than I do.

#5 perry_eh

perry_eh

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

No sorry, no quip there.

I find that programming has reduced my sentence structure to short choppy sentences with limited cohesion. Or maybe it is simply getting on in years that has accomplished that.

Thx for the responses.

#6 SomchaiA

SomchaiA

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Movies. music, science.
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

Welcome Perry. I think Christian first, denomination second is good.

#7 Yirmiyahu

Yirmiyahu

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Christian
  • United States

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:46 AM

Welcome Perry! :D I'm also new, but I'm really enjoying it here and I hope you will too! I'm sure I'll also have some questions about Catholicism later down the road too so I hope you will be a person I can ask.

#8 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Raised Catholic and became born again in college. Now I'm non denominational.
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

Welcome to the forum, Perry.

I too was born and raised Catholic but shied away from it in my teens. In college I accepted Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. I'm no longer a practicing Catholic but can certainly appreciate and respect many aspects of the church. There are some doctrines that I cannot accept through faith, nor do I think are particularly Biblically sound, however overall there is much to be admired about the church's love for Christ.

I mention this since I think you'll find that most Christians here are coming from a Protestant perspective. I'm not sure which Bible you are using, but feel free to PM me for any further information that may be of help. :)

#9 perry_eh

perry_eh

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Ontario, Canada

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

Welcome Perry! :D I'm also new, but I'm really enjoying it here and I hope you will too! I'm sure I'll also have some questions about Catholicism later down the road too so I hope you will be a person I can ask.

I will endevour to serve as best as I can.

Welcome to the forum, Perry.

I too was born and raised Catholic but shied away from it in my teens. In college I accepted Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. I'm no longer a practicing Catholic but can certainly appreciate and respect many aspects of the church. There are some doctrines that I cannot accept through faith, nor do I think are particularly Biblically sound, however overall there is much to be admired about the church's love for Christ.

I mention this since I think you'll find that most Christians here are coming from a Protestant perspective. I'm not sure which Bible you are using, but feel free to PM me for any further information that may be of help. :)

Thx Rem.
As for biblical soundness, you could easily find cause in most denominations. What is find to be most important is not to let division occur for us as Christians. It is one of the enemys favorite tools. A protestant church just fractured recently in town here, and I'm sure it was petty squabbles and pridefull folks that led the way.
We must stand together and thrive or be divided and fall. Some folks we meet along the way that see us wearing the cross, are interested in fellowship with us untill we say we are Catholic. It has been a sad trend that we have been experiencing as of late.
I ask kindly of those of the protestant sects to promote fellowship with us and to question those that might suggest otherwise. We enjoy many events with our protestant brothers here and believe we need each other as Christians.

We use the NRSV: CE version of the bible.
  • Remnant of The Abyss likes this

#10 Remnant of The Abyss

Remnant of The Abyss

Bible Inerrantist

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Raised Catholic and became born again in college. Now I'm non denominational.
  • Christian
  • Southern USA

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

I will endevour to serve as best as I can.

Thx Rem.
As for biblical soundness, you could easily find cause in most denominations. What is find to be most important is not to let division occur for us as Christians. It is one of the enemys favorite tools. A protestant church just fractured recently in town here, and I'm sure it was petty squabbles and pridefull folks that led the way.
We must stand together and thrive or be divided and fall. Some folks we meet along the way that see us wearing the cross, are interested in fellowship with us untill we say we are Catholic. It has been a sad trend that we have been experiencing as of late.
I ask kindly of those of the protestant sects to promote fellowship with us and to question those that might suggest otherwise. We enjoy many events with our protestant brothers here and believe we need each other as Christians.

We use the NRSV: CE version of the bible.

Excellent words. I agree with everything. It's a shame that you've seen some folks not wanting fellowship simply for following the Catholic faith. There are many saved Catholics and there are many, many good folks who love God and Jesus as much as me or any other Protestant. I know because I have worked with them and they have been my friends.

I am sure Jesus would not approve of this divisiveness as directed at individuals within the church, one based upon appearances and false misconceptions of the church at large. The Catholic Church is Christian, and that is the bottom line.

I will be totally up front here as well. I feel it necessary to disclose that I used to be one of those "folks" when I first got saved and was blaming the Catholic Church for many things. But I've grown in the Lord, as all Christians who follow Christ grow. Meeting good, solid Catholics made me realize the error of my ways. I also have tremendous respect for Bill Donohue the well known Catholic apologist. :)

#11 sumile

sumile

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Muslim
  • Creationist
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

(SPAM)

See "Advertising" in forum rules: http://www.evolution...forum_rules.htm