• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2670 posts
  • Interests:Machining, Engine Building, Geology, Paleontology, Fishing
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Springdale,AR.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

I don't know how many of you know about the gospel of Judas, which was found in Egypt and verified by carbon dating as being written in the 3rd or 4th century AD. It contains a prophecy about him that seems to be very true, since his name has become synonymous with evil and betrayal.

JUDAS ASKS ABOUT HIS OWN FATE

Judas said, “Master, could it be that my seed is under the control of the rulers?”
Jesus answered and said to him, “Come, that I [—two lines missing—], but that you
will grieve much when you see the kingdom and all its generation.”
When he heard this, Judas said to him, “What good is it that I have received it? For
you have set me apart for that generation.”
Jesus answered and said, “You will become the thirteenth, and you will be cursed by
the other generations—and you will come to rule over them. In the last days they will
curse your ascent [47] to the holy [generation].”

http://www.nationalg...spelofJudas.pdf

I know that Peter was forgiven for denying Jesus, so it would also make sense that Judas was forgiven as well, although hated by man and even the other apostles as they refer to him as cursed throughout the bible.

Also, there are thirty known gospels, but only four have been handed down.

Enjoy.

#2 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

We must be careful with other gospels, that they be confirmed by other scripture, and discarded if heretical. A little heresy in a gospel writing is like a little poop in a batch of brownies. It's sort of like how people can authenticate name-brand vs knock off based on the details.

#3 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, computers, physics, video games, philosophy, epistomology
  • Christian
  • USA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

I don't know how many of you know about the gospel of Judas, which was found in Egypt and verified by carbon dating as being written in the 3rd or 4th century AD. It contains a prophecy about him that seems to be very true, since his name has become synonymous with evil and betrayal.

Judas said, “Master, could it be that my seed is under the control of the rulers?”
Jesus answered and said to him, “Come, that I [—two lines missing—], but that you
When he heard this, Judas said to him, “What good is it that I have received it? For
Jesus answered and said, “You will become the thirteenth, and you will be cursed by
the other generations—and you will come to rule over them. In the last days they will

I know that Peter was forgiven for denying Jesus, so it would also make sense that Judas was forgiven as well, although hated by man and even the other apostles as they refer to him as cursed throughout the bible.

Enjoy.

Is your mod hat off? Holding it up to the protestant bible it can be refuted. There was another disciple after Judas.Acts 1:26; Matthias
-- in the context of the whole bible I wonder if the extra books of the Catholic bible are easy to refute when compared to the eyewitness accounts of Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John?

#4 JayShel

JayShel

Former Atheist

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Christian
  • Creationist
  • Saved July 12, 2007

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

There was another disciple after Judas?

Yes, his name was Matthias:

Matthias, an abbreviated form of Mattathias, meaning a gift of God, was a disciple of Jesus Christ who was among those who witnessed everything from the ministry of John The Baptist to Christ's ascension. Although Matthias is mentioned specifically by name only once in The Bible, he most certainly played a prominent role in the early church after having been selected to replace Judas Iscariot among The Twelve Apostles, and he most certainly will, as the Scriptures below make plain, be a prominent member of the Kingdom of God.
http://www.keyway.ca/htm2002/20020219.htm

See also Acts 1:12-26:

12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey. 13 And when they had entered, they went up into the upper room where they were staying: Peter, James, John, and Andrew; Philip and Thomas; Bartholomew and Matthew; James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot; and Judas the son of James. 14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication,[a] with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.
Matthias Chosen

15 And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples[b] (altogether the number of names was about a hundred and twenty), and said, 16 “Men and brethren, this Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke before by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus; 17 for he was numbered with us and obtained a part in this ministry.”
18 (Now this man purchased a field with the wages of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his entrails gushed out. 19 And it became known to all those dwelling in Jerusalem; so that field is called in their own language, Akel Dama, that is, Field of Blood.)
20 “For it is written in the Book of Psalms:

‘Let his dwelling place be desolate,
And let no one live in it’;[c]
and,

‘Let[d] another take his office.’[e]
21 “Therefore, of these men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22 beginning from the baptism of John to that day when He was taken up from us, one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection.”
23 And they proposed two: Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. 24 And they prayed and said, “You, O Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which of these two You have chosen 25 to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.” 26 And they cast their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

#5 Dig4gold

Dig4gold

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

John 17:12 While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled. NASB

It says that Judas perished meaning that he was not saved. I do not believe that he would or could write a gospel that would be considered canon.
  • Salsa likes this

#6 AFJ

AFJ

AFJ

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1625 posts
  • Interests:Bible, molecular biology, chemistry, mineralogy, geology, eschatology, history, family
  • Christian
  • Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

We must be careful with other gospels, that they be confirmed by other scripture, and discarded if heretical. A little heresy in a gospel writing is like a little poop in a batch of brownies. It's sort of like how people can authenticate name-brand vs knock off based on the details.

I agree.  Authorship was paramount at the early church councils, and they were much closer to that time than we are.  The Nicene council was, I believe, in the third century AD, and they probably still had original writings, and other documents we don't have today.  It would be like us talking about the revolutionary war.

At any rate, all of the cannon is going to be in the NT--apostles who walked with Christ, and/or who were who involved in the explosion of the church in the first century AD i.e. Paul--the epistles of Paul, Mark--the second gospel, and Luke--the third gospel (all of whom are in the book of Acts). And James--the Lord's brother--who probably did not believe until after the ressurection. Not sure about Jude--I think he was a brother of Christ and James, if memory serves. 

In the OT, we are talking about prophets who passed the test of a prophet i.e.some  of their writings came to pass already in ancient Israel, even before Christ.  That's why they are considered authoritative.

Many have never been taught this at all.  Hence, their attitude that the Bible is full of fairytales.  It is rather set in real history. SAD THAT!

#7 FaithfulCenturion

FaithfulCenturion

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Christian
  • New York

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:04 PM

Adding apocryphal books like the gospel of Judas to the bible, is like sticking a comic book into the middle of an encyclopedia series.

#8 Teejay

Teejay

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1516 posts
  • Christian
  • Texas

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

Enjoy.

Hello all,

I recall (vaguely) that the gospel of Judas was found to be plagiarism.  Someone wrote a gospel and put Judas' name on it.  When this document was written, Judas was long dead.  I wish I could remember where and when I read it.  Some of you young guys with computer skills should be able to research this.  For some reason, my memory of where I read it is Cross Examined?

TeeJay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users