Photo

Single Words; Hebrew And Greek; Bible Tools, Etc.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rico

rico

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, computers, physics, video games, philosophy, epistomology
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • USA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

I tried to look up Hebrew and Greek words I can't understand... Looking on youtube I found the hebrew alphabet is different than ours and was fun for a little while (I'm not big on languages right now). Using the free e-sword and strong's concordance, I wanted to look up a translation for each word, but it had notes about the passage instead (also had to get help with that from youtube) Keeps bringing up the Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge... I found biblegateway.com to be helpful to a degree... I don't always trust google/web translating words :) I can give examples...

#2 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

Here is a good resource:

http://www.eliyah.com/lexicon.html

If you enter an english (KJV) word in the first field it will take you to the Blue Letter Bible (http://www.blueletterbible.org).

In the resulting verses that then appear you will see numbers (Strong's reference numbers) beside each word that has a corresponding Hebrew or Greek word. If you click on the numbers they will show you the meaning of each word.

Have fun! :)

#3 Dig4gold

Dig4gold

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hebrew is a very amazing language! It has a lot of depth to it. Some of the words have several meanings to them which are profound. I'm not an expert but I have taken several begining courses and some intermediate courses. But as you know if you are not immersed in the language it is easily forgotten. Having said that, there is a dimension of the Hebrew language that is not easily forgotten. It is called Hebrew word pictures. I don't have a way to post the Hebrew fonts right now. So maybe someone could give me some help with that.

The first letter is an Aleph, it is shaped like a bulls head. It's word picture is that of a bull and has the meaning of strength, one - numerically, and first in preeminence.

The second letter is Beit, it is shaped like a house floor plan. It's word picture is that of a tent, a house or a family.

Now what is very interesting in Hebrew is how the letters form compound pictures. For example the word for "Father" in Hebrew is spelled with an Aleph and a Beit.

This could mean the "strong person" of the house or the "first person" preeminently of the house.

How cool is that!

One more to get you going. The Hebrew word for blood is "dam". Adding an Aleph at the beginning makes the word "Adam". Now what does that mean? First blood!

OK, one more. "Adversary", i.e., the snake that devours life. Which word do you think this is? ... Satan.

"Sheen" = teeth, devouring, "Tet" = snake and "noon" = action or life. Therefore the snake that devours life. {chills} It's the Hebrew word for Satan.

Many more, please help with the fonts.

#4 Dig4gold

Dig4gold

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

By the way there is a booklet that you can get called "Hebrew Word Pictures" it s by Dr. Frank T. Seekins and you can probably find it in many Messianic sites. It comes with a CD also. I found it to be very faith building.

#5 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:51 PM

Thanks Dig, here's a resource I found that might come in handy: http://www.hebrew4ch.../aleph-bet.html

#6 Dig4gold

Dig4gold

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

Thanks! I have seen that site before and I probably have it book marked but it didn't even come to my mind. I don't think I can copy and paste the letters. I believe it just supplies the link to the page. I guess that is better than nothing.

I think this takes you to the letter Aleph. http://www.hebrew4ch...aleph-write.gif

#7 Dig4gold

Dig4gold

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

OK, I have another one; "Satan"

In Hebrew it is spelled Shin, Tet, Noon.

Shin has a word picture of teeth/devouring
Tet has a word picture of snake/surround (like a snake grabbing his tail, [this can be seen in the proto-Canaanite letter form])
Noon has a word picture of action/life

So the word has the meaning of "The Snake That Devours Life"

Pretty accurate I would say!

Disclaimer: Hebrew word pictures are not Scripture they are a tool to gather a deeper meaning into some of the Hebrew words. I believe that the heavenly language is very deep with many levels that we may only understand fully when we have a face to face with Yeshua. It may take an eternity.

Any help with getting the Hebrew letters coppied and pasted?

#8 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

I know that they can be copied and pasted from the Blue Letter Bible, because as it happened just the other day I did so for the first time. I was curious about the word that is translated "replenish" in Gen 1:28, and so I took the Hebrew word

מָלָא

and googled it.

I only got 3 hits, but it was pretty much all I needed because I found the first one pretty interesting.

Unfortunately I could not find the alphabet listed in the BLB, but perhaps your knowledge of Hebrew would help you find all the letters?

#9 Dig4gold

Dig4gold

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Baruch HaShem! Thank you UppsalaDragby!!!
By the way, do you have a shorter name that you go by?

The letters for "Satan". Booo - hisss.

שָּׂטָן

#10 Salsa

Salsa

Veteran Member

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1231 posts
  • Christian
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

do you have a shorter name that you go by?

Hehe... yeah, why on earth did I pick such a stupid name. I guess I was in a hurry to join and couldn't think of anything better.

The others just say Uppsala, which I think is Ok. Otherwise my real name is Paul, if that feels better. Posted Image

#11 Dig4gold

Dig4gold

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Uppsala has a certain ring to it. I think that's fine. Thanks to you now I'm on a role!

Here is a neat one:

Nomad or Foreigner - the Hebrew word is Ger. גֵר

It is spelled Gimmel, Reysh.

The gimmel has a word picture of a camel/to lift up (think about how one gets onto a camel - they kneel down and lift you up).
The Reysh has a word picture of a head/person.

The word picture of a nomad is a camel man!

#12 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1086 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

Any help with getting the Hebrew letters copied and pasted?

You can also download the entire Hebrew OT with vowels as a Word doc in Cardo unicode font from Tyndale House here. You might need to also install the Cardo font, I'm not sure. I have so many fonts installed on my computer, I'm not sure which are original. It seems to work well for copying and pasting. If you paste from it, it seems to change font a little (to Arial?), but if you then highlight and select, for example, Times New Roman (and bump it up to 36pt.), it shows in the strong block letters I prefer. Here is Genesis 1:1, for example (let me know if it doesn't appear correctly. Like I said, I have so many fonts installed on my computer, I can't always tell if something is showing correctly on the computer of someone else).
בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ׃

#13 Dig4gold

Dig4gold

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1045 posts
  • Judaism non-orthodox
  • Raleigh, NC

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Very nice fonts! I wish I had those in the beginning!

• gilbo12345 likes this

#14 Bonedigger

Bonedigger

Admin Team

• Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1086 posts
  • Interests:Creation, Vertebrate Paleontology-particularly mammals and especially Perissodactyls & Carnivores, Hunting, Shooting, Handloading, Weaving Chainmaille, Hebrew and other Biblically relevant languages, Astronomy
  • Christian
  • Colorado

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

Very nice fonts! I wish I had those in the beginning!

מִילִים טֹוב׃ biggrin.png Good pun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users