News - Harvard Jumps Into Evolution Debate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_George R_*

Guest_George R_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2005 - 05:42 PM

Actually ... a misleading headline to a news article from AP.
But the article is somewhat informative.

Looks like somebody thinks it's time to explore abiogenesis deeper.

Depending on your POV ... spontaneous life is a closely-held tenet of the full evolutionary story ... or it is "not part of evolution".

I think abiogenesis is not enough. I want to know how you can boil space in your kitchen and produce entire universes at will. Something like the "sea monkeys" toy waterworld sold at:

http://www.sea-monkeys.com/

.... whose logo is n"create instant life".

In any case I thought you may want this news item, and have something to say about whether $1 million in funding is a drop in the bucket or a serious exploration of the issues involved.

My POV: No touchdown.... $1 million will not move the football down the field at all. It will produce papers that make good reading, and support a few profs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.washingto...5081401070.html

Harvard Jumps Into Evolution Debate

The Associated Press
Sunday, August 14, 2005; 9:33 PM

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Harvard University is joining the long-running debate over the theory of evolution by launching a research project to study how life began.

The team of researchers will receive $1 million in funding annually from Harvard over the next few years. The project begins with an admission that some mysteries about life's origins cannot be explained.

"My expectation is that we will be able to reduce this to a very simple series of logical events that could have taken place with no divine intervention," said David R. Liu, a professor of chemistry and chemical biology at Harvard.

The "Origins of Life in the Universe Initiative" is still in its early stages, scientists told the Boston Sunday Globe. Harvard has told the research team to make plans for adding faculty members and a collection of multimillion-dollar facilities.

Evolution is a fundamental scientific theory that species evolved over millions of years. It has been standard in most public school science texts for decades but recently re-emerged in the spotlight as communities and some states debated whether school children should also be taught about creationism or intelligent design.

The theory of intelligent design says life on earth is too complex to have developed through evolution, implying that a higher power must have had a hand in creation.

Harvard has not been seen as a leader in origins of life research, but the university's vast resources could change that perception.

"It is quite gratifying to see Harvard is going for a solution to a problem that will be remembered 100 years from now," said Steven Benner, a University of Florida scientist who is one of the world's top chemists in origins-of-life research.

#2 Guest_92g_*

Guest_92g_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:01 AM

"My expectation is that we will be able to reduce this to a very simple series of logical events that could have taken place with no divine intervention," said David R. Liu, a professor of chemistry and chemical biology at Harvard.

They need to spend a million dollars on that...... :)

If evolutionists are guilty of anything its over simplifiying the problem. I guess they need to invest in better just-so-stories. :)

Terry

#3 Guest_Admin3_*

Guest_Admin3_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2005 - 06:20 PM

I think it's funny that so many will say: Evolution is fact, Evolution has been proven etc... But we need to spend more money just to make sure. Sounds like to me that creation is starting to get them on the run. If not, then why do they feel the need to do this, and spend so much money?

I think science is finding out it's very expensive maintaining a theory that can't be proven, to make it look like it has. Because if it truly was, like most would claim, this need to do more and spend more, would not be required.

Funny, creation pretty much remains the same, but still gives science a headache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users