Photo

Do Mutations Produce Genetic Complexity?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 willis

willis

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • CA

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:34 PM

Do mutations increase genetic complexity? Before you answer what do you mean by genetic complexity? And, give an example.

#2 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:13 PM

Do mutations increase genetic complexity? Before you answer what do you mean by genetic complexity? And, give an example.

View Post

IMO complexity just means the opposite of simple, e.g. a simple machine would be a lever, a complex machine would be an automatic gearbox (essentially a lever). Relating that to the biological world, one might compare virus DNA to that of a Human, (it’s a bit relative however).

I feel we are headed for a mutation can’t produce an increase in ‘information’ debate, if so please review this forum for, Does Dna Contain A Code? and Restarting the INFORMATION debate, might help.

#3 willis

willis

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • CA

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:49 PM

I feel we are headed for a mutation can’t produce an increase in ‘information’ debate, if so please review this forum for, Does Dna Contain A Code? and Restarting the INFORMATION debate, might help.

View Post

I imagine that debate has been had many times on this forum. I only have a question for you about that.

Can mutations result in increased genetic complexity that is beneficial? I mean an increase in functional genetic information and not just an increase in DNA.

#4 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 06 October 2005 - 02:53 PM

I imagine that debate has been had many times on this forum. I only have a question for you about that.

Can mutations result in increased genetic complexity that is beneficial? I mean an increase in functional genetic information and not just an increase in DNA.

View Post

Change (mutation there are several types) can be beneficial, neutral, or a hindrance. The direction of mutation can be towards or away form ‘complex’ or just plane one for one change.

I dispute the notion that DNA contains information, and by information I mean some quasi form of cipher or hidden message, and not how information can be used in common language as a form of expression.

#5 Springer

Springer

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Creationist
  • Kalamazoo, MI

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:48 AM

I dispute the notion that DNA contains information, and by information I mean some quasi form of cipher or hidden message, and not how information can be used in common language as a form of expression.

View Post

I realize that the word "information" implies intelligent design, but to deny that DNA is organized information, is to deny the undeniable. How else does the offspring of any living creature evolve from a single cell to a differentiated adult? You can debate semantics, but nothing anyone says will change the fact that DNA contains high complex organized sequences of genetic information. Surely we can at least agree on that common ground.

#6 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:20 PM

I realize that the word "information" implies intelligent design, but to deny that DNA is organized information, is to deny the undeniable. How else does the offspring of any living creature evolve from a single cell to a differentiated adult? You can debate semantics, but nothing anyone says will change the fact that DNA contains high complex organized sequences of genetic information. Surely we can at least agree on that common ground.

I’m not sure what your definition of information is WRT DNA, i.e. I could agree with this statement in isolation DNA contains high complex organized sequences. but when you add genetic information this could imply one of two things:

a. common phraseology, where information means a complex sequence, or
b. Hidden cipher, a code to be broken, (the ‘message’ drives the DNA).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users