The Debatinator

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:13 PM

If all atheists claim that atheism is not a belief at all but a lack of one I just want cleared up why you need organizations (humanists) and debaters (you know which) and radio shows (you know who) and so on and so on?

Should I ask for funding for a lack of belief in the bunyip?

#2 Stile

Stile

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Ontario, Canada

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:59 AM

If all atheists claim that atheism is not a belief at all but a lack of one I just want cleared up why you need organizations (humanists) and debaters (you know which) and radio shows (you know who) and so on and so on?

I am an atheist, I think. I suppose I do claim that atheism is not a belief, but a lack of one. Although I more claim that I do not have a belief, but a lack of one.. and if you'd like to call that atheism, then I am an atheist.

I do not need organizations, or debators, or radio shows. I definitely do not need or request for myself or anyone else to have funding for such things.

I'd suppose that these people exist for any number of reasons. Ranging from monetary gain (some people will do anything for fame or fortune) to sheer stubborness. That is, although I do not think "atheism" (the lack of belief in God) is any sort of religion in itself, I do think that some people can pursue, or defend it "religiously". Just as some can follow sports, or any other passtime "religiously".

Although I don't understand how atheism can be classified as a religion, it most certainly is personal. It is no wonder then, that when argued against or frowned upon that some people take it personally. Which could certainly drive them to form organizations, debators and radio shows and any number of other publicly visible techniques.

#3 Guest_Admin3_*

Guest_Admin3_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2005 - 11:37 AM

I am an atheist, I think.  I suppose I do claim that atheism is not a belief, but a lack of one.  Although I more claim that I do not have a belief, but a lack of one.. and if you'd like to call that atheism, then I am an atheist.

I do not need organizations, or debators, or radio shows.  I definitely do not need or request for myself or anyone else to have funding for such things.

I'd suppose that these people exist for any number of reasons.  Ranging from monetary gain (some people will do anything for fame or fortune) to sheer stubborness.  That is, although I do not think "atheism" (the lack of belief in God) is any sort of religion in itself, I do think that some people can pursue, or defend it "religiously".  Just as some can follow sports, or any other passtime "religiously".

Although I don't understand how atheism can be classified as a religion, it most certainly is personal.  It is no wonder then, that when argued against or frowned upon that some people take it personally.  Which could certainly drive them to form organizations, debators and radio shows and any number of other publicly visible techniques.

View Post

Like with every group, you have those who will take things to an extreme. I think those who take atheism to an extreme make it look like a religion. Why? Because to always feel the need to compete with one (always trying to prove it wrong), puts one on the same level. Because when you go up against a belief, you have to more or less use your belief (a religion of sorts) against the belief that your debating.

#4 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:00 PM

Admin3

I think it’s universal behaviour that “bird of a feather flock together”, shared common interest usually results in some sort of formal atmosphere.

Like with every group, you have those who will take things to an extreme.

no doubt about it.

I think those who take atheism to an extreme make it look like a religion. Why? Because to always feel the need to compete with one (always trying to prove it wrong), puts one on the same level. Because when you go up against a belief, you have to more or less use your belief (a religion of sorts) against the belief that your debating.

Extremism is usually a response to a perceived threat. You are less likely to have extremism in a free society where all are treated equally and fairly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users