Newcomer

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Agnostic
  • Ireland

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:52 AM

Hi All, just thought I'd introduce myself as it seems the done thing -
I'm Colm.. I filled in Agnostic on the thing because, well I suppose that's the best way of describing me in the context, though I really hate labels - being called an -ist and stuff... I believe in evolution and not in creation so I suppose one could call me an evolutionist...

But to call me an evolutionist puts me into a certain category of people which I don't like. Also it reinforces the idea that evolution is just one of many possible belief systems, which I don't believe... It's like calling me a green-grassist or conservation-of-energyist or a 1+1=2ist... are there 1+1=3ists out there?

Anyway my point is I don't like respect for other people's beliefs when they are contradictory to one's own... Except in maybe a kind of patronising way or for the sake of keeping the peace. It's not arrogance I just think we should be searching for the truth, and shouldn't believe things until we actually believe them. And when we believe them we should either reject contradictory opinions, or consider that we are wrong.

oops! Ranted on a bit there, sorry! But anyway that's the main reason why I don't like labels relating to beliefs.... But yes I believe in evolution.

#2 Guest_92g_*

Guest_92g_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:02 PM

Welcome to the Forum!

Terry

#3 lwj2op2

lwj2op2

• Veteran Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Country, friends.<br />Apologetics, though not well versed.<br />Health, running, bike riding, outdoors.<br />Divorced (by my wife) father of four-23s, 20d, 18s &amp; 13s.<br />Remarried 2 more kiddos 6d, 4s<br />River Boat Captain about 16 years on the Colorado.<br />Power Plant operator at a Geothermal site, just past 5 years.
  • Christian
  • Young Earth Creationist
  • Ridgecrest, California

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:00 PM

Hi All, just thought I'd introduce myself as it seems the done thing -
I'm Colm.. I filled in Agnostic on the thing because, well I suppose that's the best way of describing me in the context, though I really hate labels - being called an -ist and stuff... I believe in evolution and not in creation so I suppose one could call me an evolutionist...

But to call me an evolutionist puts me into a certain category of people which I don't like. Also it reinforces the idea that evolution is just one of many possible belief systems, which I don't believe... It's like calling me a green-grassist or conservation-of-energyist or a 1+1=2ist... are there 1+1=3ists out there?

Anyway my point is I don't like respect for other people's beliefs when they are contradictory to one's own... Except in maybe a kind of patronising way or for the sake of keeping the peace. It's not arrogance I just think we should be searching for the truth, and shouldn't believe things until we actually believe them. And when we believe them we should either reject contradictory opinions, or consider that we are wrong.

oops! Ranted on a bit there, sorry! But anyway that's the main reason why I don't like labels relating to beliefs.... But yes I believe in evolution.

View Post

Welcome, and may I suggest; Not approach this as an anything-ist. We all bring information. When the information shows contradiction, we must find the truth, then we have facts. Anything that contradicts the facts, must be inaccurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users