#1 Geoff

Geoff

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • England

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:40 PM

It would seem that some people will try and preach what does not belong. Creation and Evolution do not go together. And there are several reasons for it.

If you are talking about hard-line young-earth creationism and hard-line scientistic materialism it is quite obvious that they are completely and utterly incompatible. What I find confusing is that anybody could possibly claim otherwise.

But I don't think that the hard-line is neccesary in either case. There's no reason to believe science is capable of answering all questions, especially the deepest questions like:

Is there such a thing as free will?
Does anything exist which could rightfully be called "God"?
What is the meaning of life?
How do I decide what is moral/immoral?

Equally, I see no reason to believe that any one religion should have got everything right and nothing wrong and I don't think the people who wrote the religious scriptures we have inherited were primarily interested in answering empirical questions either. Their most important subject matter remains out of the grasp of empirical science, even today.

1) It totally denies God's power of creation.

Do you believe that humans have free will? If so, doesn't this also limit God's power? Or rather - doesn't it mean that God has opted to allow humans to make what they will of this reality rather than choosing to micro-manage everything? Is it not possible that the only way to create a sustainable ecosystem capable of supporting intelligent life-forms is by allowing natural processes to do most of the work by themselves? This doesn't deny God the power to intervene at critical moments during the process in order to nudge it in one direction or another.

It make Evolution cross over to being a religion, because a Creator becomes part of the picture.

It has to be said that it would be a very strange "scientific" theory which includes God. At the very least, it would need to be philosophy in addition to science. But it all rather depends on how you define "science", and that isn't as easy as some people think it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users