• 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 05 April 2005 - 01:52 PM

This article from ID is the future, is doing the rounds,

The Truth about How I Got into ID
William Dembski

Many critics of intelligent design think I got into ID because I'm a right wing fundamentalist who takes Genesis literally and wants to see its 6-day creation as mandatory teaching in the public school science curriculum. WRONG! Here's the real story.

Back in the mid-80s, Sahotra Sarkar and I were grad students at the University of Chicago, he in philosophy, I in mathematics. One day, at the International House (a 500-room dorm for grad students on the UofC campus), we were discussing what it would take to bring down Darwinism. He remarked rather off-handedly that it would take a "revival of William Paley." "Hmm, Paley," I mused.

Suddenly, I had my life's mission. Even though I was raised in a largely secular home with a biologist father who taught evolutionary biology and who was fond of reminding me that our ancestors swung from trees, I decided what better way to make a name for myself than to bring down the most popular and infamous theory in science.

My plan quickly fell into place:

I would concoct a specious mathematical theory of design detection that critics of evolution could use as a weapon against Darwinism.
I would network with right-wing fanatics for whom a recrudescence of Paley could be a tool for their political agenda.
And finally, I would cash in on the celebrity associated with bringing down Darwin.
On this last point, let me just say that intelligent design has been very, very good to me.

Well, I'm glad I finally got this off my chest. So thank you Sahotra and all you valiant defenders of Darwinism for the fame and fortune you've made possible for me. I could never have done it without you. 

I am familiar with AiG and ICR websites but not the www.idthefuture.com

Questions –

1 - Is this a real YEC, or is it a parody site? (seems to have an abundance of the ‘the big names’ in ID)
2 - Is the article from Dembski genuine or an April fools joke? (yes it was posted on 1st April)

Anyone know? Comments?

#2 Guest_92g_*

Guest_92g_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:18 PM

I don't know anything about Dembski, but it sounds like garbage. OTH, it could well be that he's just poking fun a evolutionists.... :rolleyes:

In any case, there is some disagreement between the Creationist, and ID groups, but they certainly share allot in common as well.

Terry

#3 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:17 PM

I don't know anything about Dembski, but it sounds like garbage.  OTH, it could well be that he's just poking fun a evolutionists.... :rolleyes:

In any case, there is some disagreement between the Creationist, and ID groups, but they certainly share allot in common as well.

Terry

View Post

Dembski is the author of:

Intelligent Design - The bridge between science and theology, and

No Free Lunch - Why Specified Complexity Cannot Be Purchased Without Intelligence.

Dembski proposes a method (the Dempski’s filter) to determine if an organism is evolved or irreducibly complex and thus design (ID).

edit for typos

Edited by chance, 06 April 2005 - 02:22 PM.

#4 Guest_Yehren_*

Guest_Yehren_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:30 PM

Dempski proposes a method (the Dempski’s filter) to determine if an organism is evolved or irreducibly complex and thus design (ID).

Problem is, it doesn't seem to work, unless Dembski has decided in advance what is designed and what isn't.

#5 Guest_Paul C. Anagnostopoulos_*

Guest_Paul C. Anagnostopoulos_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2005 - 08:41 AM

It's a joke.

So is Dembski's filter.

~~ Paul

#6 kbombbilly

kbombbilly

Newcomer

• Newcomer
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Michigan

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:26 PM

Intelligent Design the Future is a new blog. And yes, he posted it as an April fool's joke.

#7 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:36 PM

Intelligent Design the Future is a new blog. And yes, he posted it as an April fool's joke.

View Post

Thanks, do you know if Dembski posted a retraction to the ‘April fools joke’ (as is the custom).

P.S. What is a blog?

#8 Modulous

Modulous

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Theistic Evolutionist
  • United Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:37 PM

Thanks, do you know if Dembski posted a retraction to the ‘April fools joke’ (as is the custom).

P.S. What is a blog?

View Post

Blog = web log = online journal

#9 kbombbilly

kbombbilly

Newcomer

• Newcomer
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Michigan

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:04 AM

Go here to see that he's just poking fun. I think he had something more extensive somewhere explaining that it was just a joke, but I forget where it was.

#10 chance

chance

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2029 posts
  • no affiliation
  • Atheist
  • Australia

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:45 PM

Go here to see that he's just poking fun. I think he had something more extensive somewhere explaining that it was just a joke, but I forget where it was.

View Post

Thanks, I suspected as much, the only quote being

A bit of April fools fun to help usher in the new

, or …… in vino veritas ‘ perhaps. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users