Evolution Fairytale Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Darkness45

Evolution And Atheism

Guest Darkness45

Many times creationists have claimed that evolution turns people into atheists. Personally, I have yet to meet one person that is atheist or became atheist because of evolution. I know when I thought about becoming atheist myself evolution wasn't on my mind, although I was a theistic evolutionist before hand so there was no internal conflict on that front.

So have any of you atheists out there became, or stayed, atheist because of evolution?

And if any of you creationists think that evolution does lead people toward atheism (not just rejecting YEC), why or how does evolution do this?

So have any of you atheists out there became, or stayed, atheist because of evolution?

40897[/snapback]

Well it's certainly one of the factors, although not the main one. If science was to come into it, I'd say the geological record would be the main scientific reason I'm an atheist.

Regards,

Arch.

I can't say for certain if it was a reason at this point in my life, but I'm sure it contributed.

For me what pushed me towards Atheism is something I have hinted at before. It was the mental disconnect that I have with the Soul and Hell. Neither of these really make sense to me as being real.

Many times creationists have claimed that evolution turns people into atheists. Personally, I have yet to meet one person that is atheist or became atheist because of evolution. I know when I thought about becoming atheist myself evolution wasn't on my mind, although I was a theistic evolutionist before hand so there was no internal conflict on that front.

And if any of you creationists think that evolution does lead people toward atheism (not just rejecting YEC), why or how does evolution do this?

40897[/snapback]

Well it's your opinion against everyone elses. What could I possibly tell you that would change your mind that you would believe me? I have seen it. I have ministered to people who have been through it. But if you don't believe me, my words mean nothing.

40897[/snapback]

I can say this much, looking hard at evolution helped me to become a better Fundamentalist Christian.

I can say this much, looking hard at evolution helped me to become a better Fundamentalist Christian.

41001[/snapback]

Aha so we have proof that Evolution can also make people believe in God more strongly than before.

I wonder if there is more than 2 options here. Evolution causes some to go to Atheism, Evolution causes some to go to God, and finally Evolution doesn't do anything for someone's faith.

40897[/snapback]

In a word, No. I started identifying as an atheist when I realised that each religion I looked at was as unbelivable as the next.

Even if biologists found out tomorrow that evolution didn't work and it was a dead end theory I'd still be an atheist.

No most atheist are atheist because of evolution. That's the truth, and there is no getting around it... It's the strong belief in a natural world without God. Evolution only strengthens their non-belief.

Most atheist always try to play the No connection between atheism and evolution game... but it always fails each and every time, simply because the truth is already known.

40897[/snapback]

I gave up Catholicism/Christianity because of my personal values, but I gave up intelligent design because of an education in science... which includes evolution among other things. The only reason I believed in intelligent design in the first place was because I was under the impression that life this complex could never arise on its on. I obviously knew a little about evolution, but I didn’t understand it very well. And when you don’t understand something, it’s easy to think of it as impossible. But when I learned more about genetics and phylogeny, things began to make a lot more sense. I realized how illogical it is to simply assume that there’s some creator out there, when we have absolutely no evidence supporting such an idea and we still have so much left to learn scientifically.

No most atheist are atheist because of evolution.  That's the truth, and there is no getting around it

Unfortunately that is you personal belief, your opinion, not a truth.

... It's the strong belief in a natural world without God.  Evolution only strengthens their non-belief.

Actually Evolution has not strengthened anything for me. My dis-belief occured for reasons other than Evolution.

Most atheist always try to play the No connection between atheism and evolution game... but it always fails each and every time, simply because the truth is already known.

41068[/snapback]

Really? We all fail? I doubt that. about the truth that is 'already known' is simply once again an opinion that you hold.

Unfortunately that is you personal belief, your opinion, not a truth.

Actually Evolution has not strengthened anything for me.  My dis-belief occured for reasons other than Evolution.

Really?  We all fail?  I doubt that.  about the truth that is 'already known' is simply once again an opinion that you hold.

41078[/snapback]

No Java, it's not my opinion... it's absolute fact.

No Java, it's not my opinion... it's absolute fact.

41107[/snapback]

If its absolute fact then, prove it. Site the evidence and studies that have been done that show it is absolute fact. Until then it will be considered an opinion, or at the very best a hypothesis.

Guest Darkness45

Well it's your opinion against everyone elses. What could I possibly tell you that would change your mind that you would believe me? I have seen it. I have ministered to people who have been through it. But if you don't believe me, my words mean nothing.

40992[/snapback]

My opinion is just what I have observed through talking to my peers and what I have seen on various forums. I have no reason to think that you would lie about witnessing evolution destroying someone's faith, and I know it does happen. I personally haven't meet anyone who this has happened to other than in passing on forums.

Aha so we have proof that Evolution can also make people believe in God more strongly than before.

I wonder if there is more than 2 options here.  Evolution causes some to go to Atheism, Evolution causes some to go to God, and finally Evolution doesn't do anything for someone's faith.

41054[/snapback]

I would say that with varying degrees everyone who has thought of the evo vs creo debate lies somewhere in there. I think how you approach evolution and faith will have a big influence on how it impacts your view of both. I'll use Ron as an example since he said that evolution increased his faith. Note: this is speculative only. Ron probably looked at evolution to see how silly it was in contrast to what he knew as truth; God, an intelligent source, created everything as He is all powerful as described in a literal read of the Bible. Others come in from the opposite side. To them, evolution is what they know to be true. Now when they come in contact with the YEC world view they look at it and evolution and can't believe that someone actually believes the stories of the Bible and their faith erodes.

Personally, I came into the situation looking to reconcile the two views and choose what I know to be the most logical/rational choice concerning science in general and religion. Oddly enough I concluded that both were correct and any natural thing, whether it be evolution, the big bang, the rain cycle, and even the most mundane natural processes can and is an avenue of how God does things. I don't know how evolution, and science in general, will effect my faith in the long term. I used to think that science was neutral to my faith, but now I feel that science has given me a new perspective of how God works, thus creating a stronger relationship, and indirectly increasing my faith.

No most atheist are atheist because of evolution.  That's the truth, and there is no getting around it... It's the strong belief in a natural world without God.  Evolution only strengthens their non-belief.

I would not have become an atheist because of evolution, but of other reasons. I think most people are atheists because their experiences throughout their lives have shown them that their view of the world doesn't match up with religion doctrine so they dismiss it.

Guest Anghellik9

Actually, I only really looked at evolutionary theory after already being an atheist for a year.

I went from being non-religious, because I was brought up to believe in whatever faith I should so choose. Eventually after attending Christian summer camps, I became a Christian Presbyterian, like most of my family members. However, I slowly stopped caring about religion, as it never really gave me any personal sense of fulfillment, nor adding anything tangible. Eventually, I became agnostic, did some soul-searching, and found that I am a non-believer.

For most people, Atheism is a gradual slope. It's not like I read Dawkins, and became an atheist. In fact, I still haven't, because to be honest, I think Dawkins, despite being very knowledgeable, acts like an overly-superior jerk a lot of the time. Isn't there some research he could be doing instead?

I used to have very strong religious beliefs but was forced to abandon them many years ago. I found the idea of God ridiculous. I wondered at one point if I would eventually become an atheist. But, having looked into the origins issue for the last 4 or so years I have came to realize that the idea of there not being a God is even more ridiculous.

I used to have very strong religious beliefs but was forced to abandon them many years ago. I found the idea of God ridiculous. I wondered at one point if I would eventually become an atheist. But, having looked into the origins issue for the last 4 or so years I have came to realize that the idea of there not being a God is even more ridiculous.

41472[/snapback]

The process of elimination can be handy. :rolleyes:

Guest Alcatraz

Believing in evolution had no bearing whatsoever on me becoming an Agnostic who borders on Atheism.

Even when I was a believer, and was considering joining my older cousin Gerry in the Priesthood, I still believed in evolution, as does Gerry who as well as being a Roman Catholic priest, is also an Anthropology PHD.

My move away from 'God' came from asking questions abouth why certain things did or didn't happen if there was a God.

Evolution had no bearing on my choice.

As a matter of fact, at the Roman Catholic Primary and Secondary schools I attended, evolution was taught as fact, and in line with Gods work.

That God created the Universe, and that Genesis was a simple way to teach origins to people of that time.

Would man of X,000 in the Middle East years ago have understood the mechanics of evolution or astrophysics if described as we understand it now.

My own opinion is that Secular Science has done more good for humanity in the last 100 years than religion has.

My own opinion is that Secular Science has done more good for humanity in the last 100 years than religion has.

41474[/snapback]

This is the key to everything you said. This statement is predicated on a false dichotomy that religion and science are somehow opposed to each other.

In all fairness, the church has helped this split by allowing an improper definition of faith to infiltrate man's thinking and to nurture a concept that somehow faith and science have non-overlapping magisteria.

While you can make an argument that evolution specifically, may not be the prime contender for why you believe as you do, the nature of your post makes it clear that your perspective of materialism and philosophical naturalism is a prime source of your beliefs. These materialistic philosophies are the nest from which ideas like evolution hatch.

This is the key to everything you said. This statement is predicated on a false dichotomy that religion and science are somehow opposed to each other.

In all fairness, the church has helped this split by allowing an improper definition of faith to infiltrate man's thinking and to nurture a concept that somehow faith and science have non-overlapping magisteria.

While you can make an argument that evolution specifically, may not be the prime contender for why you believe as you do, the nature of your post makes it clear that your perspective of materialism and philosophical naturalism is a prime source of your beliefs. These materialistic philosophies are the nest from which ideas like evolution hatch.

41569[/snapback]

Atheist and agnostics make statements everyday that make science look like religion. It's never put together that it is evolution that makes it this way. If you remove evolution, there would be very little that opposses anything religious.

Atheist and agnostics make statements everyday that make science look like religion. It's never put together that it is evolution that makes it this way. If you remove evolution, there would be very little that opposses anything religious.

41586[/snapback]

I totally agree.

Every month I usually pick up one to three science periodicals that are tailored to the popular culture. Whether it's Scientific American, Discover, Astronomy or a host of other magazines, I'm always amazed at how much of the internal real-estate of these periodicals is dedicated to articles devoted almost entirely to speculations being sold as scientific endeavors, dealing with of course, evolution to the big bang or other new-age concepts like some of the goofy concepts that fall out of quantum mechanics.

I have no problem with speculations but when speculations are artificially limited by a materialistic philosophy that demands only certain types of considerations, I call it deception.

I wonder if there is more than 2 options here.  Evolution causes some to go to Atheism, Evolution causes some to go to God, and finally Evolution doesn't do anything for someone's faith.

41054[/snapback]

Previously being a staunch atheist (and evolutionist), and after taking a much closer look at evolution, I could no longer reconcile evolution with reality. I could no longer put my faith in that unproven model.

Guest Taikoo

Growing up where i did and with the parents I have it never occurred to me to take any religion seriously, to me it was just something that people do. Like dragon boat races. Those arent really dragons, but its all good fun.

Evolution just isnt controversial in China, and I dont think that many people would even be aware that anyone would have religious reasons for not accepting it as a very strong theory in a class with other major scientific theories.