Evolution Fairytale Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ModusTollens

Burden Of Proof

The "Burden of proof" always falls upon the person making a statement as if it were already a fact.

• Like 1

The "Burden of proof" always falls upon the person making a statement as if it were already a fact.

But but but... Atheism is a position of non-belief... Atheists don't have to justify why they don't believe in things...

(So I can claim the sun doesn't exist and I need no burden of proof for that..? ;) )

But but but... Atheism is a position of non-belief... Atheists don't have to justify why they don't believe in things...

(So I can claim the sun doesn't exist and I need no burden of proof for that..? wink.png )

Actually, the atheistic position of ‘Non Belief’ is the position of ‘Believing Against’… And is therefore STILL a belief! And yes, if you make the claim “There is no God”, you still have the burden of proof!

Yes, I think that one has been beaten to death. Of course if you say there is no God, you have responsibility to support that statement. But as pointed out several times here, the agnostic or atheist says, I do not or cannot know. What is there to prove in that?

Yes, I think that one has been beaten to death. Of course if you say there is no God, you have responsibility to support that statement. But as pointed out several times here, the agnostic or atheist says, I do not or cannot know. What is there to prove in that?

The agnostic states they cannot know and thus are free of obligation since they make no claims.

The atheist believes there is no God or doesn't believe there is a God which is stating that there is no God, because if there was a God they would believe in Him. Therefore as you said the atheist is obligated to support such a claim... HOWEVER the only argument I have ever heard is the emotional version of the problem of evil (however this assumes God exists so fails regardless) and the argument from ignorance, which is a logical fallacy and demonstrates the idiocy of the one who uses it.

First - It has not been beaten to death, because some atheist will still come in and attempt to argue that they bear no "Burden of Proof".

Second - The Atheist cannot say "I do not know" he would then be an agnostic! The Agnostic cannot say "I can not know" as they would not be an agnostic. You shouldn't attempt to lump the together (as some of them are won't to do), because they are as diametrically opposed as the Theist and the Agnostic, or the Theist and the Atheist.

Third - The agnostic cannot comment if he says "I do not know", because he has given up trying to learn, and is ignoring the evidence. As Blaise Pascal succinctly pointed out, the agnostic is simply adrift... not willing to take land, and not willing to sail on. See: http://www.peterkreeft.com/topics/pascals-wager.htm

That is a fact! ;)