Evolution Fairytale Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Adam Nagy

Is It A Fixed Fact That "nothing In Science Can Be Absolutely Fixed As Fact"

"Materialism claims everything is predetermined"

That's news to me. Stochasticity is a major term in the equation last time I checked.

3. "Examples of unchallengeable facts?"

a.) "There are truths and facts."

b.) "I just at a (rather tasty) banana"

In what way are they unchallengeable? Everything can be challenged, that doesn't speak to whether something is actually true or not, in the end. Challenge, assess the evidence, decide if it's correct.

So what is unchallengeable?

Materialism claims everything is predetermined.

This might have been true for the physics up to 1850. But later developments, let's say, thermodynamics, gas theory, quantummechanics, atomic theory and pysical chemistry have heavily undermined that.

Of course we can challenge anything we wish. That does not mean we will win the challenge. Materialism claims everything is predetermined. That's why I am curious why a materialist would debate anything. Sounds like an exercise in futility to me.

To question something (to challenge it) is no matter of winning or losing. It is about seeking the truth.

When Einstein showed Newton wrong, Newton didn't lose. Science became more accurate, closer to the truth, and in the end everybody won by it.

This might have been true for the physics up to 1850. But later developments, let's say, thermodynamics, gas theory, quantummechanics, atomic theory and pysical chemistry have heavily undermined that.

Yes they certainly have undermined materialism... :)

I am glad you are starting to see. Please follow this thread.

http://evolutionfairytale.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=6130

Sigh,

these findings were the end of determinism, not of materialism.

Did you actually WATCH the video? Let alone read the video screen below... When it says "The End of Materialism" in a video called "Quantum Mechanics debunks Materialism", I'm not sure how you can claim anything else.... Unless you actually 'want' to be seen as being unable to read the title of a video? Let alone the contents within smile.png

Did you actually WATCH the video?

No.

Let alone read the video screen below... When it says "The End of Materialism" in a video called "Quantum Mechanics debunks Materialism", I'm not sure how you can claim anything else.... Unless you actually 'want' to be seen as being unable to read the title of a video? Let alone the contents within smile.png

Can you explain, in your own words, what it is talking about?

No.

If you didn't watch the video then why claim that it debunks Determinism?

Surely to make any claim about the video you would have needed to watch it, despite the fact that the claim you made defied the title of the video itself...

Or was your prior post a "knee-jerk" response? ;)

Can you explain, in your own words, what it is talking about?

Gladly.

Experiments, such as the double slit experiment, imply that there is no objective reality beyond what we observe. Essentially confirming Idealism.

Feel free to watch the video to see the what data and experiments were used. The 2nd half of the video goes through and debunks the rescue devices materialists use to try and ignore the evidence.

Examples of unchallengeable facts?

Thistle, if (big IF) you recognize logic. First, let's just do it, recognize logic. Can't run tests on it without being circular but we can both acknowledge it. There it is with every sentence we utter and any argument we hazard. We're either using it soundly and coherently or we're abusing it and twisting it, deceiving ourselves and potentially others.

The very core of logic is identity. Thistle, muster up some courage and acknowledge identity as an evident reality. In logical fashion you must recognize the following unassailable reality in its most basal form...

We have an unidentified entity. We'll call it "A"

Where there is "A" it stands to reason that "A" can't be "A" and non-"A" at the same time in the same place.

If you say "yes, that makes sense" then your eyes are opened to an unchangeable fact. If on the other hand, you question the principle of identity, you are awash in an incoherent state where you are arguing for realities that you've concluded may not be real. If that isn't the epitome of lunacy I don't know what is...

• Like 2

If you didn't watch the video then why claim that it debunks Determinism?

Surely to make any claim about the video you would have needed to watch it, despite the fact that the claim you made defied the title of the video itself...

Or was your prior post a "knee-jerk" response? wink.png

Is that "it" in your sentence referring to the Youtube video?

For clarity, post nr 79 of mine was:

So, it is very clear I wasn't speaking about the video.

And by the way, how did you segue from determinism, what I was talking about, to materialism?

(compare posts nr 79, 80 and 82.)

I think our friend Calvin sums it up for us nicely...

denial.jpg

:D

This comes from another thread. It sums up nicely how people today think they can get around inconvenient truths.

This comes from another thread. It sums up nicely how people today think they can get around inconvenient truths.

Can we replace the word "reality" with "science"? I think it would be more relevant.

Can we replace the word "reality" with "science"? I think it would be more relevant.

What's the purpose? Is science part of reality? Or the other way around?

Is that "it" in your sentence referring to the Youtube video?

Certainly... What is the problem?

If you want an in-depth analysis I suggest you watch the video, I'm not here to spoon-feed you ;)

It is interesting how you made a proclamation on what the video demonstrates despite not watching it.

For clarity, post nr 79 of mine was:

So, it is very clear I wasn't speaking about the video.

(actually it was your post #78 ;) )

Umm how could you be speaking about the video when I brought it up in post #80. Surely you don't have the ability to see into the future? lol

And by the way, how did you segue from determinism, what I was talking about, to materialism?

(compare posts nr 79, 80 and 82.)

My post was talking about materialism and how it is debunked.

I admit I was being a bit of a smart-arse. My apologies :)