Evolution Fairytale Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kairos2014

God's Not Dead Movie

Hey guys,

I searched the forum and noticed the movie title wasn't mentioned.

Just wanted to post it in case some of you might not of heard the movie before: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2528814/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I found it very interesting and enjoyable to watch starring actor Kevin Sorbo (atheist professor) who persecutes one of his student (Christian).

You may differ but I liked it.

I want to just mention up front, Kevin Sorbo is a solid Christian from what I've seen. He's also pretty solid on creationism.

That said, I'm almost positive I'm not going to like this film (which is why I'll probably wait until it releases on video).

Here's a review from CMI:

If their assessment is correct, I share their concern that it is putting forth bad arguments that are easily dismantled. For example:
This is where we anticipated the movie could have made its major ‘equipping’ contribution, but unfortunately, each of the points Josh tries to put forward to prove God’s existence are arguments that atheists would easily refute. In the first session, Josh equates the big bang to what we would expect if God spoke the universe into existence. Of course, CMI has long demonstrated how the big problem with the big bang theory is that it is supposed to have happened billions of years ago. With the sun allegedly appearing millions of years before the earth, for example, it stands in complete opposition to the very creation passages in Genesis which Josh is supposed to be defending. He even affirms an age of the universe of billions of years, which clearly stands contrary to the biblical account. To be fair, he does give a good answer to “Who created God?”, which is perhaps the only solid apologetic in this section.
In the second section, Josh talks about the problems of life coming from non-life, but then implies that God could be behind the seemingly-random process of evolution. But an informed atheist could respond that evolution is a wasteful, cruel process; why would anyone worship God if He used a cruel wasteful evolutionary process? Perhaps the producers have not realized that most atheistic evolutionists don’t really respect Christians who believe in evolution. Just ask the ‘high priest’ of atheistic evolution, Professor Richard Dawkins, who once said that theological attempts to marry the Bible and evolution are “seriously deluded.” In this sense, who is the movie trying to win over?
If the above is true, I would have to agree with their (CMI's) closing sediments.
Although we regrettably cannot recommend this movie, it highlighted to us that so much work needs to be done to equip believers and their families. To be blunt, if this were the best that Christians can come up with, we would be in serious trouble and it is likely we would not convince anyone of the truth. But the good news is you can get equipped with a biblical, scientific and effective apologetic that you can boldly use to impact your family, friends and community as you stand up for the truth and authority of God’s Word. Just don’t expect a ‘fictional’ movie to do it for you.

As is very common in christian apologetics today, they're attempting to defend the Bible by harmonizing it with man's ideas about evolution and deep time. This is the reason I don't think modern christian apologetics are effective in today's culture, in fact, I believe they do more harm than good.

I think the battle for christianity is specifically with the minds of our next generation, and i don't think they can be won if we grant the premise of evolution and millions of years. Ultimately, they're too smart to fall for that, and will reject christianity as a whole, if they know most christians reject its foundation.

• Like 1

grammarnazis.jpg

Sorry Cal, I gotta be the word nazi here, it's sentiments not sediments. Unless your feelings are dirt layers. Sorry! Sorry! It's just one of those things, as an author that drives me 'round the bend! Still, you bring up some very valid concerns. I don't mean to detract from them in any way, it just had to say something or it would've nagged at me! :P

Bart%20Simpson%20sorry.gif

21 As Jesus looked up, he saw the rich putting their gifts into the temple treasury. 2 He also saw a poor widow put in two very small copper coins. 3 “Truly I tell you,” he said, “this poor widow has put in more than all the others. 4 All these people gave their gifts out of their wealth; but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

I don't think we need to understate Jesus's ability to save us.

I suspected irony, but since I didn't find it funny I decided it was not. :)

I didn't see anything else, and I still don't. Care to enlighten a non-native speaker?

Doh! Sediments. Lil embarrassing. blush.png I say it wrong when I speak too.

Sennnnntiments, sennnnntiments, sennnnntiments.

• Like 1

I suspected irony, but since I didn't find it funny I decided it was not. :)

I didn't see anything else, and I still don't. Care to enlighten a non-native speaker?

...never mind...

I have not watched the movie but based on the trailer and reviews, I find Kevin Sorbo's character implausible. Not because he's an atheist, but because he's a philosophy professor. Someone who demands that students agree with his conclusion without any discussion of how you would support or rebut that conclusion is someone who is not interested in teaching philosophy.

I have had philosophy professors who would make broad unsupported claims, like leprechauns are real or the entire continent of Africa does not exist, not because they wanted the students to meekly fall in line, but to goad someone into arguing against them. My philosohpy of religion professor would argue both for and against the existence of God, as he saw fit.

If an atheist philosophy professor spent all his time arguing that God does not exist, he is essentially giving his theist students a better education than his atheist students, because the atheist students are not given as much of a challenge.

I have not watched the movie but based on the trailer and reviews, I find Kevin Sorbo's character implausible. Not because he's an atheist, but because he's a philosophy professor. Someone who demands that students agree with his conclusion without any discussion of how you would support or rebut that conclusion is someone who is not interested in teaching philosophy.

I have had philosophy professors who would make broad unsupported claims, like leprechauns are real or the entire continent of Africa does not exist, not because they wanted the students to meekly fall in line, but to goad someone into arguing against them. My philosohpy of religion professor would argue both for and against the existence of God, as he saw fit.

If an atheist philosophy professor spent all his time arguing that God does not exist, he is essentially giving his theist students a better education than his atheist students, because the atheist students are not given as much of a challenge.

I was going to do an elective of Philosophy in third year a while ago. However as it turned out it was literally "Atheism 101", the Professor was obsessed with trying to shoot holes in the arguments for God. I decided to leave the class and transfer to do my own research project when in class he refused to accept scientific evidence which debunked the "infinite universe" belief, since this was his rebuttal to the Kalam Cosmological argument. He claimed this was a discussion of philosophy not science.... (Which left me stunned).

So Clarence I think Mr Sorbo's character was right on the money wink.png

• Like 1

I'll have to check it out. One of the criticisms of CMI was just this, that it was so over the top, it was implausible.

That said, I have no doubt that what gilbo shared is common practice. I recall in college a very obnoxious social studies/history professor who was obsessed with debunking christianity. He basically taught it as myth. But as bad as he was, I can't picture him demanding the kids renounce their faith in writing. That just seems bizarre, and perhaps this was a missed opportunity, as there are plenty of plausible situations that could have been used in the movie.

I would be curious, though, if the the movie was based on something like this that really happened.

Regarding my professor, the real problem was that none of the kids really had a clue how to deal with him, even those that were getting offended. If one good thing could come from this movie, perhaps it will be a desire for christian kids study apologetics more, and hopefully for churches to start teaching good biblical apologetics. I with Ken Ham in that ultimately, the real blame lies at the feet of the church.

I'm curious on how this plays out. The christians have such teachers, the atheists don't. Odd.

Because we hardly teach critical thinking in our schools and unniversities, we have a lot of people that can't think their way out of a wet paper bag.

However, as a Christian I must consder God and His purpose in allowing so many of us to create the often silly ideas that we do. I think the lesson is that we are creators in training and what better way to learn what to create and not to create than doing so aand seeing its end result.

The alleged athist/ evolutionists has my permission to argue that this world with it's miriads of conflicting religions etc is the result of evolution (non-thinking) on our part.

I would suggest, as far as "plausible," is concerned after being on this site for four years and confrontig alleged athests on many occasions that demandingness, rigidity and non plausibility are virtues many share. For intelligent beings we often claim "stupidity" can do things which all our collective mminds have not been able to do. I have yet to observe any one of us do anything without using our inate inteligence to do so. As intelligent beings we can create the most elaborate stories (evolution) with intricsies of detail that personify stupidity and "give" it creativity that rivals our collective intelligence. I think of Dawkins and how he claimed the eye evolved more than 50 times in seperate species defying all odds of probbility. And yet he spoke and that's how it happened.

"I know it 'seems' engineered but.. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

But bottom line, no matter how hard we try we can not hide that we are the creators of our stories. Make no mstake, it takes intelligence and creativity to fabricate the story of causation sans intelligence (and without our observing it) of how evolution supposedly created us all.

Plausible? Since when is that a criteria for opening our mouth?

I'm curious on how this plays out. The christians have such teachers, the atheists don't. Odd.

Atheists plural? Can I presume that you're adding your own experience to pluralize it?

It's a pretty small sample so far. For all we know, the biggest difference is between Canadian and American and Australian philosophy professors, and the religion of the student is coincidental.

But I do hold that if gilbo's professor just gave him a list of arguments for God's existence and then said, "obviously all attempts to rebut these arguments are wrong, because they are such great arguments," and pat him on his head and send him on his way, that he actually would have been done a disservice in the subject of philosophy.

But I do hold that if gilbo's professor just gave him a list of arguments for God's existence and then said, "obviously all attempts to rebut these arguments are wrong, because they are such great arguments," and pat him on his head and send him on his way, that he actually would have been done a disservice in the subject of philosophy.

Clarence he did the other way round, which is also a disservice.

I was going to do an elective of Philosophy in third year a while ago. However as it turned out it was literally "Atheism 101", the Professor was obsessed with trying to shoot holes in the arguments for God. I decided to leave the class and transfer to do my own research project when in class he refused to accept scientific evidence which debunked the "infinite universe" belief, since this was his rebuttal to the Kalam Cosmological argument. He claimed this was a discussion of philosophy not science.... (Which left me stunned).

So Clarence I think Mr Sorbo's character was right on the money wink.png

I would have been happy for a BALANCED approach, indeed that was what I was expecting. However the fact that he wouldn't accept evidence from science which had already demonstrated his "the universe is infinite" argument was wrong, demonstrates the level of bias he was engaged in.

Then consider that he was teaching this level of bias to prospective students... And the cycle continues.

I wasn't going to see this movie after, looking over especially the CMI review. I rented the movie and I was glad I did. IMHO, I don't agee with the big bang. One of the contexts the big bang used to be used in was some cristian scientists at one time saw the big bang as evidence for God speaking the universe into existance. I didn't think the big bang had major focus in the movie.

Breif Points about it:

A. Even if you don't believe in the big bang it's my humble assertion that you should know what some believe, so you can reason with them.

B. Free 3 chapter bible study guide available online.

C. had a brief salvation message.

It covered alot of topics and kept my interest, may rent again sometime. There are movie facts, and goofs, that are interesting and a book.

Some of the events and characters are based on real live ones. One person's character may have been based on Ming Wang, MD, PhD from the book

I want to just mention up front, Kevin Sorbo is a solid Christian from what I've seen. He's also pretty solid on creationism.

That said, I'm almost positive I'm not going to like this film (which is why I'll probably wait until it releases on video).

Here's a review from CMI:

If their assessment is correct, I share their concern that it is putting forth bad arguments that are easily dismantled. For example: