Evolution Fairytale Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thilipsis

Genesis 1 Exposition, A Modified Gap Theory

Hello everyone, my name is Mark Kennedy, I've been a regular on Christian Forums for years. I'm a Pastoral Ministry student majoring in Bible and Theology at the Nazarene Bible College in Colorado Springs. I am in most respects a Creationist except that all the Genesis account is telling us about the creation of the 'heavens and the earth' is that it was, 'in the beginning'. Don't get me wrong, I take Genesis 1 literally and the creation of life (Gen. 1:21) and Adam (Gen. 1:25) was about 6,000 years ago.

I'm not opposed to Young Earth Creationism, I just feel strongly that a sound exegesis of the text will not give you a definite creation at the same time as Creation week. The sun, moon and stars were created before Creation week started, perhaps immediately following the original creation in Genesis 1:1, perhaps billions of years previously.

I'm interested in an open discussion regarding an exposition of the text and perhaps some of the dating techniiques.

Grace and peace,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Nice to meet you. Why can't a real scientist study the Sun and give an appox. beginning? I agree that scripture does not necessarily give landmarks as to when God started things up. Time is irrelevant to God (1,000 years is as a day and a day is as a 1,000 years). To me the "days" of the creation in scripture should be understood as "stages".

Hello everyone, my name is Mark Kennedy, I've been a regular on Christian Forums for years. I'm a Pastoral Ministry student majoring in Bible and Theology at the Nazarene Bible College in Colorado Springs. I am in most respects a Creationist except that all the Genesis account is telling us about the creation of the 'heavens and the earth' is that it was, 'in the beginning'. Don't get me wrong, I take Genesis 1 literally and the creation of life (Gen. 1:21) and Adam (Gen. 1:25) was about 6,000 years ago.

Hello Mark,

May the LORD Bless You in your studies and reveal Himself to you.

Don't get me wrong, I take Genesis 1 literally and the creation of life (Gen. 1:21) and Adam (Gen. 1:25) was about 6,000 years ago.

I've been on a few Christian Sites and I have to say this is the first time I've heard this scenario: Billions of Years for the Earth and Universe BUT Life created 6,000 years ago.

It's apparent most (Old Earth Creationists) don't realize when they adopt secular time scales that they compromise the Doctrine of Salvation and the need for a Kinsmen Redeemer.

Question: I usually don't like asking "Philosophical" Questions and fully aware that "Time" is tricky all by itself, even without The Observers Station (GOD vs Created), but what would be the possible rationale behind creating the Heavens and The Earth...then leaving them set there for 10 Billion Years (our "Time" wink.png ) then getting around to Creating Life?

I just feel strongly that a sound exegesis of the text will not give you a definite creation at the same time as Creation week.

That depends whether it's Exegesis or Eisogesis. But I'm no Biblical Scholar; so, the floor is yours....present your case.

The sun, moon and stars were created before Creation week started, perhaps immediately following the original creation in Genesis 1:1, perhaps billions of years previously.

We must be reading two different Bibles, mine says...

(Genesis 1:14-19) "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: {15} And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. {16} And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. {17} And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, {18} And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. {19} And the evening and the morning were the fourth day."

I get this feeling that we're preparing to head down the "Bara" and "Asah" trail ....say in ain't so?

I'm interested in an open discussion regarding an exposition of the text and perhaps some of the dating techniiques.

ALL (IN TOTO) "dating techniques" are Begging The Question (Fallacies) or "Just So" Stories which Extrapolate from Assumptions.

Additionally, do you believe the 6 Literal 24 Hour Days or is each long epochs of "Time" ??

I'm not opposed to Young Earth Creationism, I just feel strongly that a sound exegesis of the text will not give you a definite creation at the same time as Creation week. The sun, moon and stars were created before Creation week started, perhaps immediately following the original creation in Genesis 1:1, perhaps billions of years previously.

Grace and peace,

Mark

Hello, Mark! Welcome aboard.

Remember me? I joined with you on several occasions to do battle with the evo's on Christian Forums.

So how have you been getting along?

Welcome Mark,

The scripture is clear that God did everything in 6 literal days. In theory It could have been any number of days considering how powerful God is, however, 6 literal days is what God decided to make His point across to illustrate the idea of completeness. For those who don't know, the Bible has a thing for the number 6. We live in a scientific er and some Christians wants Genesis to be a scientific book (it was meant to be theological) and get it all wrong when they mixed with secular science.

Hey Mark. I'll keep this as brief and concise as possible respecting the spirited and often frustrating exchanges we've had over this issue. I consider you my brother, though I doubt we'll ever see eye to eye on this. Eventually, we're going to have to just agree to disagree.

And I'll limit my response to the text, and let others handle the science.

The 'gap theory' and other similar theories like 'historical creationism' attempt to separate the "creation week" from the “beginning.” Heaven and earth were created initially, in the beginning, prior to the events that happened during the 6 day renovation (or the 6 day creation of Eden, or the countless other modified theories that are out there). Thus you have an indefinite period of time available before the actual creation week, “if” you need it. Some fill that in with billions of years, others don't spend much time thinking about it.

Here are 3 basic reasons why this not a tenable exegesis, and why we can’t separate the creation week from the beginning.

1) Jesus and the N.T. writers believed the creation week and the beginning were the same thing.

Jesus said Adam and Eve were made in the beginning of the creation, implying that the beginning is the same as the creation week.

Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation, God “made them male and female.’

Mark 13:19 For in those days there will be tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the creation which God created until this time, nor ever shall be.

If Adam and Eve were from the beginning, and they were created on the last day of creation, then creation week must be referring to the beginning.

Peter also believed the creation week and the beginning were the same thing. Here he implies that the living dying process has been going on since the beginning.

2Pet. 3:4 and saying, “Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation.”

Paul also equated the creation of the world with the creation of man.

Rom. 1:120 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

Man was there since the creation of the world observing God's invisible attributes, rendering him to be without excuse.

2) The creation of both the earth and the heavens are described in detail during the creation week.

After the initial proclamation that God created the heavens and earth in verse 1, the next 30 verses that follow give a detailed description of the creation process—the stretching of the heavens, the forming of the land and sea, the filling of the heavens and the filling of the land and sea. It’s grammatically impossible to separate verse 1 from the 30 that follow. And the same hebrew words for heaven and earth are used throughout the entire chapter.

It's also interesting that the hebrew word for beginning, reshiyth, can speak of a beginning period, rather than just in instantaneous starting point. We see this illustrated when the Bible speaks about the beginning of the reign of some kings. 'In the beginning of such and such's reign, these events happened' and then the narrative goes back and speaks in detail of those events. Genesis seems to follow this same principle, speaking of the beginning and then describing that beginning as it occurred over 6 days.

3) Moses tell us that the heavens and earth and all in them were formed in 6 days.

Ex. 20:11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them.

This is an amazingly clear summery statement, that speaks of all that happened within the 6 days. Notice it includes the formation of the earth, and not just the filling of the earth with life.

Calminian said: Jesus and the N.T. writers believed the creation week and the beginning were the same thing.
Jesus said Adam and Eve were made in the beginning of the creation, implying that the beginning is the same as the creation week.
Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation, God “made them male and female.’

Calminian has made a very strong point here. In fact, it can't be clearer than this. If God made Adam and Eve from the beginning of the creation then that rules out any theory of millions of years...at least from the biblical perspective.