Evolution Fairytale Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mike the wiz

Mike The Wiz From Evc

Hi guys, I am also 'mike the wiz' at EvC Forum which is basically a politically evolutionist website. It has fairly objective moderators but obviously I have been there for many years, it is very much an ANTI-Christian place.

I actually have a lot of experience in observing people's behaviour and attitudes, and have an interest in understanding logic. I am also an amateur apologist, and have written a blog which I hope consists of short concise topics. I don't want to spam it here, but perhaps I can use some of the subjects I have covered in some debates here where relevant.

I have been reading your forum and am very impressed with the members. Political rhetoric can even lead the best of us to think that our fellow-Christians are just ignoramuses but I can see here there is a genuinely educated interest in the science. I've already read and learnt more from the likes of Gilbo and Bonedigger, about the homology of bones and about nested hierarchies, although the technical aspect of science does tend to fox me, I'm more of a person of puzzles and logic, but we can all learn more and I hope to do so here.

... It has fairly objective moderators but obviously I have been there for many years, it is very much an ANTI-Christian place.

I actually have a lot of experience in observing people's behaviour and attitudes, and have an interest in understanding logic. I am also an amateur apologist, and have written a blog which I hope consists of short concise topics. ...

Welcome!

I have highlighted some of your....highlights!

I don't know what's so obvious about what you did that we could not see.

To what does the "wiz" refer in your name? You don't have a perpetual urination stream, do you? That's hard to imagine...

I do hope your blog is under your control. You can't be employing a writing staff, could you?.... That's hard to imagine.

Hello!

To be honest, I think this is the only forum I've ever been to that is not anti-religion. And yes, I believe the fact that Chrisitians aren't as ridiculed here as they are on other forums is much thanks to people like gilbo, bonedigger, mike summers, and others.

Anyway, welcome!

Thanks guys, and I'm sure I've probably read things you have said that I have enjoyed, I just can't remember everyone's name.

Welcome!

To what does the "wiz" refer in your name?

You can't be employing a writing staff, could you?.... That's hard to imagine.

Hello!

Many thanks. Does that mean you would like to see my blog? In that case since you've asked I guess I can give the link. Haha, no, by 'wiz' I think I originally meant a person who is adept in a certain area, like a, 'computer-wiz'.

I actually am only calling myself mike-the-wiz on this forum, ipso facto, because I just thought I would use that username since I couldn't think of another. I actually called myself that name firstly at EvC Forum in about 2003, when I was about 22, I think it was just as a joke I called myself a 'wiz' at the time. I hope you understand, I'm not being arrogant, I was just younger and sillier back then.

Here is my blog for you, although I warn you now, it could well send you to sleep. No, I don't have any staff - when I send, 'amateur', boy did I mean amateur - I just mean that I write things in favour of showing how Theism, and in particular Christianity, makes sense, and is reasonable, and how a creation is more reasonable and rationally inferred than a bunch of evolutions. I'm also addicted to writing down my reasonings, as you can probably now tell. Lol.

http://creationworldviews.blogspot.co.uk/

As you can see my recent entry is explaining how transitionals aren't just missing dead things, but the living ones are also missing, of which there should be hundreds, IMHO.

Welcome Mike. smile.png

Schera Do, on 06 Dec 2014 - 07:59 AM, said:

Welcome!

To what does the "wiz" refer in your name?

You can't be employing a writing staff, could you?.... That's hard to imagine.

Hello!

Above is what you quoted of my post.

IT IS NOT DONE PROPERLY AND YOU SHOULD BE BANNED--OR, A WARNING.

Don't do it again. Please.

Thanks everyone!

Schera Do, this topic is pretty informal, by no means a debate, but usually even in a debate it is appropriate to only quote the parts of the post that are relevant or the parts that contain questions. Do you expect me to quote the whole of your own post, at all times? That would be rather odd. Usually I only respond to the parts of a post.

Perhaps you thought I was attempting to quote-mine? I can only say, I wasn't, as this is a cordial topic to say the least, only a welcoming topic for introduction.

Welcome, Mike. This forum is the best run discussion group on the evolution/creation issue I've run into in more than 20 years of on-line discussions of the matter. Kudos to the list ownership and administration for that.

I'm certain you'll enjoy your stay here and look forward to your input.

Mr. wiz, I'm going to step through this--something I don't do often--perhaps due to the Christmas season...

Below is the subject quote:

... It has fairly objective moderators but obviously I have been there for many years, it is very much an ANTI-Christian place.

I actually have a lot of experience in observing people's behaviour and attitudes, and have an interest in understanding logic. I am also an amateur apologist, and have written a blog which I hope consists of short concise topics. ...

With respect to the first sentence, I wrote this:

"I don't know what's so obvious about what you did that we could not see."

The word "obvious" connects the two. I know that one might become confused when navigating several windows of content and disorientation may be the result.

With respect to the second sentence, I wrote this:

"I do hope your blog is under your control. You can't be employing a writting staff, could you?.... That's hard to imagine."

The word "hope" connects the two. When you removed my sentence, "I do hope your blog...", from the quote you posted, you removed the connection between my response and the source.

This is not a trivial matter. If you do this in further postings--in what you consider to be substance--you will not do well here.

Perhaps you were employing a figure of speech when you used "hope" in, "...a blog which I hope consists of..."; I responded, "I do hope your blog is under your control" to draw attention to that. I do acknowledge that you might "hope" that you have achieved a certain tone or result with your blog. I apologize for that snide tenor.

Schera Do, sorry, in all honesty I don't have the time to figure out the workings of your mind. I'm sure it all seemed that way when you read it but all I actually was doing was trying to respond to your welcome-post without quoting the whole of your message.

Sorry it meant so much to you, in all honesty it meant little to me, I didn't give it all that much thought as it's only an introduction thread so it's quite an informal chat.

Thanks FC. At least over that side of the pond, you have Nye, but over this side of the pond, we have DAWKINS!!consoling.gif

And we produced DARWIN!tissue.gif

Thanks FC. At least over that side of the pond, you have Nye, but over this side of the pond, we have DAWKINS!!consoling.gif

And we produced DARWIN!tissue.gif

Aha! So that's where the blame lies! Lol! ;)

Schera Do, sorry, in all honesty I don't have the time to figure out the workings of your mind. I'm sure it all seemed that way when you read it but all I actually was doing was trying to respond to your welcome-post without quoting the whole of your message.

Sorry it meant so much to you, in all honesty it meant little to me, I didn't give it all that much thought as it's only an introduction thread so it's quite an informal chat.

Do you really not have the time to waste? Get in line. Some of us have laundry to do and others of us have countries to save.

I don't know about you, but where I live, the possible end of this cushy supermarket life is around every corner and at the turn of every page.

How about you?

Ah well Schera, if this life is the only life like none-believers believe, then I'm amazed they're on forums at all given each moment is leading to the end that draws Nye. I guess I just haven't got time to argue about nothing, the bible tells us not to quarrel3ztzsjm.gif , but to try to live at peace with all men, as much as depends on us.

• Like 1

Ah well Schera, if this life is the only life like none-believers believe, then I'm amazed they're on forums at all given each moment is leading to the end that draws Nye. I guess I just haven't got time to argue about nothing, the bible tells us not to quarrel3ztzsjm.gif , but to try to live at peace with all men, as much as depends on us.

I see what you did there... ;) ;) ;)

I see what you did there... wink.pngwink.pngwink.png

Yes, if there is an afterlife, then all forms of wasting this life are supported. That's sounds like the seed of some very "evil" rationalization. Indeed. Good catch there FC.

Yes, if there is an afterlife, then all forms of wasting this life are supported. That's sounds like the seed of some very "evil" rationalization. Indeed. Good catch there FC.

I don't see how. It depends what type of afterlife you are talking about. The bible says we shouldn't live for sin, and it says we should, "redeem the time, because the days are evil". (paraphrase)

We are saying that; IF there is no afterlife, THEN time would be mightily precious so we would expect a lot of aggressive atheists to not spend it cursing and raging and arguing with Christians. (I would not accuse you of all of those things Schera, you have by no means been rude to me or cursed and I honour you for your good behaviour).

But if you are now saying that if there is an afterlife, time is not precious, then that is to Deny-The-Antecedant of the original implication. (fallacy)

That's a fallacious argument in form, the form would be this:

If X(no afterlife) then Y(time is precious), ERGO Not X then Not Y. (Incorrect, denial of the antecedant.)

Of course, "evil" would also be a subjective word with a none-Christian ideology, because if God would have not existed, then morality is only a personal and subjective expression. Schera's, "evil" might well be someone else's idea of, "good", and who is to say your version of evil, is true evil given evil would only be a relative term?

think.gif

Here is my blog for you [snip]

Hello Mike, welcome. I'm one of the raging atheists not yet kicked off this site (chuckling). I have brought up a topic (in my precious free time, considering death is immanent now :^) I'm asking what the objective is for us to be talking on this site. Personally, I think it is to reduce the loss of Christians over to the "dark side" (more chuckling). But, I want to see if any agreement can be made on the subject. Agreements and common ground seem to be hard to come by. So, I encourage you to take a look at the topic and see if there is anything you'd like to contribute.

There does seem to be a double standard on this site in favor of the Christians ('so surprised!) You have nicely provided the link to your blog, and I think that's very cool. It is a set of position papers that you have produced, and it looks interesting enough to take a look at a few of them during this short time on this earth (I do agree with your inversion of the logic above. It would seem correct to me. :^)

Now, I also came in with a link. And it too is a set of position papers. These papers were produced as a part of a couple of lengthy conversations I had with public speakers on ID. Maybe my mistake of calling it a "book". But it would seem that in fairness FC should reconsider his removing my link. It is not anything that is in the hands of a publisher and I am certainly not making any money from it during this short little life of mine.

So, in the interest of fairness, perhaps FC would consider restoring my link or removing yours. Any thoughts?

(I hope I don't receive any more warning points for this. I've got 2 and that is a lot, considering I don't have as long to work my way out of trouble as you guys ;^(

I don't agree with myself. There may be rules and requirements for the afterlife. I seem to remember a few from my upbringing as a Catholic.

If every non-believer is going to be tortured into infinity, I would think it incumbent on the believers to spend every spare moment saving them from their damnation. As a young Christian, I acted that way and became very unpopular. So later on, I thought to myself, "Well you can go to hell." But, now that I have a better concept of infinity, I think I was on the right track at the beginning. The problem with many is that the more you try to save them the more they fight you. 'kinda like convincing you guys evolution is true ;^)

But I am thankful. If I don't convince you guys, you're not going to burn some place forever. That's a load off my mind.

Anyone who wants to truly understand infinity (or at least to try), get onto Youtube and do a search for "infinit bbc". The links never stay the same. You could also look for something from Neil Degrasse Tyson.

But let's suppose I were to become a believer again, and go to heaven. I would go insane. It doesn't matter how hard I worked here on earth. I would always think about that one person I could have saved had I just tried a little bit harder. Heaven would be hell for me as I would never be able to get that person out of my mind. At any moment, I would be able to think, "That person is being tortured hideously, right now." I decided if God sent my daughter to hell, that's where I would want to be... so that she wouldn't be alone.

I don't envy you guys. Some of you know this.

If every non-believer is going to be tortured into infinity, I would think it incumbent on the believers to spend every spare moment saving them from their damnation. As a young Christian, I acted that way and became very unpopular. So later on, I thought to myself, "Well you can go to hell." But, now that I have a better concept of infinity, I think I was on the right track at the beginning. The problem with many is that the more you try to save them the more they fight you. 'kinda like convincing you guys evolution is true ;^)

But I am thankful. If I don't convince you guys, you're not going to burn some place forever. That's a load off my mind.

Anyone who wants to truly understand infinity (or at least to try), get onto Youtube and do a search for "infinit bbc". The links never stay the same. You could also look for something from Neil Degrasse Tyson.

But let's suppose I were to become a believer again, and go to heaven. I would go insane. It doesn't matter how hard I worked here on earth. I would always think about that one person I could have saved had I just tried a little bit harder. Heaven would be hell for me as I would never be able to get that person out of my mind. At any moment, I would be able to think, "That person is being tortured hideously, right now." I decided if God sent my daughter to hell, that's where I would want to be... so that she wouldn't be alone.

I don't envy you guys. Some of you know this.

The 'If' in your first sentence is everything.

I'm quite ready to be saved: PM me and I will send you my mailing address so that you can mail me a large amount of money.

I can't imagine what subtlety there could be associated with infinity. It either doesn't exist or it is very, very large. Is there something else non-supernatural? I passed on the Youtube suggestion as I think it is going to sell me the supernatural angle.

If you believe that "heaven would be hell", for whatever reason, then you might have an incorrect concept of heaven.

It seems that you are having trouble surviving this life while possessed with the thought of others suffering eternally and hideously. Perhaps I misunderstood.

LOL, no, I think you got it. But people use "eternal" recklessly. Eternal Chinese water torture, multiplication tables, anything remotely bad is unspeakably hideous when applied into infinity... making God a psychopath, a madman in applying his punishment.

If you can just look at the 3 minute NASA video, you get a slight idea of the magnitude of a single galaxy. Then realize this universe is estimated to have a hundred billion galaxies... and now you can start to have an idea of infinity.
http://www.scoopwhoop.com/news/wow-nasa/?ref=social&type=fb&b=0

Svigil: But let's suppose I were to become a believer again, and go to heaven. I would go insane. It doesn't matter how hard I worked here on earth. I would always think about that one person I could have saved had I just tried a little bit harder. Heaven would be hell for me as I would never be able to get that person out of my mind. At any moment, I would be able to think, "That person is being tortured hideously, right now." I decided if God sent my daughter to hell, that's where I would want to be... so that she wouldn't be alone.

Exactly, that's exactly what God thought, so He became Jesus Christ and died so that not one single person has to go to hell. It is a VERY sad thing, that people reject Christ because it is God taking your punishment for you, basically. Like you would die for your daughter, Christ did die, for you and I, and your daughter. Nothing can change that, whether you believe it or not.

Svigil, your only concept of God is that He is a torturer.

Unfortunately for you, you are one of those people whom has been mis-taught about God by atheists. In actual fact you were never a Christian, you just thought you were. Those who are truly born-again do not have the concept of God that you had, and were misled to have.

God is just. He is omni-judiscious, which means He can't mis-treat or, "torture" anyone, He can only give correct justice, and that justice is predicated on His own omniscience.

Which means to say, if you are to say, as a human with limited human-reason, "I am a just, reasonable, guy", from your perspective that might be true, by my standards it might be true, but how on earth does that give us a concept of how upright we are to a 100% holy, 100% righteous, 100% all-knowledgeable, God?

I take comfort in the fact that God does not want anyone to go to hell, and He assures me that anyone who does go there, insists on going. Nor do I believe that God will torture anyone in hell, I simply believe they will receive correct-justice, as decided by omniscient-wisdom.

I would also like to point out many intellectual-implications of what you are saying. For example you are misled to believe that you as a person could influence a person's eternal future. You can't, the individual, all individuals, are created in God's image and ultimately make a freewill decision to either reject God or seek Him. The more the individual earnestly seeks, the more spiritual revelation is imparted to them, and this is called the "drawing". Christ said, "and to all the Father will reveal me". If God has not revealed Himself to a person, then the only logical possibility is that something is wrong with the person, not that something is wrong with God.

It is ultimately the acid-test for trusting God, the one responsible for giving you your life, the very reason you believe. The question is, can I trust God, the one who is 100% righteous? Or do I rely on my own understanding, my limited human-reason, and come to some astronomically silly non-sequiturs such as, "God is a madman-torturer".

Your problem is, you are toying with hypothetics about some limited scope of idea you have of, "eternity", but if you are honest with yourself, you can't school anyone about the matter.

As a side-note, I never bring up the issue of, "hell" really. The truth is, nobody WANTS an atheist to "go to hell" unless they have some very severe hate-issues, which makes it highly likely they are not Christian at all to begin with.

But the problem is Svigil. I am not God. I don't have the power to change the fact that God will decide what God does. I admit the concept of hell, to the limited human mind, doesn't seem to make sense. One has to trust that God's knowledge is perfect, otherwise He would not be God. Disbelieving in God, won't mean that when you die you won't face God. I can become an atheist now, God won't stop me, but that will not change the fact that I will still be judged by Him, as the only explanation for our existence that makes any sense, is that God is there. Those who know God, know He is there by spiritual-revelation.

I remember the time God's presence fell on me. The fact is, we are not making-up our salvation, we know it to be true, from walking it out. God HAS revealed Himself to those who believe in and love Him.

"I love those who love me, and those Who seek me diligently, will find Me." - The Lord God.

That is true, we testify as witnesses that it is true, having lived it, but we cannot force you to believe that testimony.

I can't be Christ for everyone Svigil, I can only be Christ for myself, to you. I can only promise to treat you, as Christ would, and hope I have done that. If others mis-treat you, and are not Christ to you, I have no power to change that. I will remove the blog entry, for the sake of equality if you think you got a raw-deal as an atheist, obviously I am not aware of how people have treated you. I am only aware of how I have treated you. I only know for sure, that I am born-again. How could I even know of how much revelation the other people on this board have had? They might only be Christians-on-milk. (baby-stage).