Evolution Fairytale Forum
Sign in to follow this  
keysi

Hiyah

Hello.

So what am I supposed to write here? A little about myself?

Ummm I suppose I'd best start with religious views- agnostic but probably leaning towards atheism if I had to choose between black and white though i'd rather not yet. As far as interests go I have many, lately I've been reading tons on zoology and anthopology,with religious anthropology being a keen interest.

I don't really believe in any god myself but since religion has been an (almost, I think) universally uniting human feature I'm quite interested in it, and the psychology behind it is fascinating too.

Politically- Not that massively into politics, though I am Scottish and voted no in the referendum....wonder if that's relevant here.

Likes- MMA training, weight lifting, reading ( a lot of sci-fi themed time travel at the minute), playing fantasy RPGs, watching tv shows on netflix, reading popular science books and the occasional science textbook, though my science education only goes to highschool level at the present time, I do plan on studying at university after I leave the military.

Oh yea, I'm in the military.

Sorry if a bit of that was outside the scope of a welcome thread, I tend to ramble :P

Also apologies for the occasional typo, this keyboard is fubar. Nothing to do with my horrendous English skills, honest :P

Hello keysi,

You have very fine English and the scope of introductions is wide, apparently.

I'm interested in knowing your definitions of "agnostic" and "atheism" as these terms generate large disagreement on this forum. I will search for links of posts in which I gave my definitions.

I have played the World of Warcraft RPG--on-and-off--since original release year+1, which may have been around 2004. I have not played any others.

I'd thank you for your military service if you were American!

I hope to learn your views on what we call 'Time' some time soon.

Well Britain and America are allies you know....Haven't played WoW....can't get decent enough internet down at my base for online gaming.

I have noticed that the definitions are a hot potato, sorry I don't have time at the minute to go right into it but put simply I don't believe in god(s) but if I were to be presented with the evidence/proof I'd happily change my opinion.

I'm more here to learn than debate, at least until I learn a lot more on the subjects anyway.

Hopefully I'll be able to elaborate later tonight.....if I'm not dunk :P

Thanks keysi, I won't get my hopes up about you not being drunk later.

Some here will insist that you are an Atheist if you "don't believe in god(s)" and, hence, can not be Agnostic.

My definition of Agnostic--which, of course, I consider the proper definition--is one who suspends a judgement (decision) with respect to the existence or non-existence of God or gods: "I don't know" is an accurate sentence. Therefore, when someone tries to be clever, will ask the question (to me), "Do you believe God or gods exist?"; I then answer, "No", and that person spits, "Ah ha!, you are an Atheist!". I, then, ask to be asked the negation, "Do you believe that God or gods don't exist?"

It is clarified, I hope, when I answer, "No."

(Ask our current Executive whether we are allies with Britain.)

• Like 1

Yes, I think I am in agreement with you, and on your definition of agnosticism. I don't believe in god, but I'm not sure I feel strongly enough to call myself an atheist. Still sitting on the fence, so to speak, til I get as much facts and information as I can, though ever so slightly leaning to thinking there 'probably' isn't.

I think for the time being my purposes would be to find out why people believe rather than if it's true. For the time being anyway. :P

Yes, I think I am in agreement with you, and on your definition of agnosticism. I don't believe in god, but I'm not sure I feel strongly enough to call myself an atheist. Still sitting on the fence, so to speak, til I get as much facts and information as I can, though ever so slightly leaning to thinking there 'probably' isn't.

I think for the time being my purposes would be to find out why people believe rather than if it's true. For the time being anyway. tongue.png

Surely (not Shirley), you don't think it possible for you "to find out...if it's true".

As for the reason people believe? It might be a human faculty. I doubt that it has anything to do with the state of human knowledge as many of the "lovers of knowledge" believe. The main reason for this assertion is that we may make no progress on the great mysteries any time soon and, possibly, never.

Welcome, Keys... you'll find this a well run forum with discussions on a variety of issues. Just jump right in and enjoy.

Welcome. And to say, "I don't know" is a lot more honest than when people pretend to know something. Having said that, there are atheists who are also reasonable, and admit they just don't know but that they are atheist. I think as Christians, we only really have a problem with the real aggressive, cursing, angry, anti-theists. But there are lots of atheo/agnosts here that you can debate indefinitely and they will never take that attitude, so it's a good place because it's more of a discussion board, than a place for a heated exchange.

I don't have a problem with you, even if you are an atheist. I quite like a lot of atheists I come in contact with.

Hi keysi,

I'm in the military as well, 18 1/2 years now! Can't wait until I retire. smile.png

I am currently stationed in the U.S. but I spent over 9 years overseas (Italy, Germany, Honduras, and Spain). I loved it!

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to your posts and questions.

Airforce I take it? Guessing from your username. I too am in the air force, what trade are you? I've only been in a few years and also cannot wait to get to Friar Tuck out of it. tongue.png

EDIT- Just noticed it actually does say air force under your name...my bad :P

Welcome to the forum, keysi. smile.png

Welcome aboard.

Happy posting.