Evolution Fairytale Forum
Sign in to follow this  
FaithfulCenturion

Crazy Internet Experiences

Thought I'd start a thread based on some crazy things we run into, defending our faith. I believe it would be good to share our encounters of the odd and strange to get a laugh together, or to help one another with dealing with such issues the next time they come around. I'll start first:

1) Whilst in the middle of a twitter firestorm over having dared asked the question of why atheists still choose to use terms such as God, or Jesus, or Hell in the I daily vocabulary when they do not believe any exist, one person claimed that the cell phone, going from the old 80's style brick, to the current smartphones we have, was evidence for deep time evolution! :D

2) I had another, in the middle of a tantrum, claim that Wikipedia is a Christian conspiracy, because it plainly states (with quotations and footnotes) that Hitler rejected Christianity. :D

Now it's your turn! How about you?

I thought I'd post this as well. It's a twitter page of some rather ignorant, infantile, and downright stupid things atheists say! I certainly got a laugh from it! Check out Hemingways Shotgun (@StufAtheistsSay): https://twitter.com/StufAtheistsSay?s=09

*Be forewarned! These folks have no compunction with dropping curse words like raindrops in a thunderstorm!*

HI Faithful,

That is a really sad site.  These atheist hate God and anyone who believes in God.  The emptiness and bitterness oozes out.

HI Faithful,

That is a really sad site.  These atheist hate God and anyone who believes in God.  The emptiness and bitterness oozes out.

I realize this is off topic and I have no intention of hijacking the thread .... but it is worthy of one comment.....

It is irrational for an atheist to hate a being that he doesn't believe exists.

• Like 2

HI Faithful,

That is a really sad site. These atheist hate God and anyone who believes in God. The emptiness and bitterness oozes out.

When one has no moral compass and objective worldview, things like what you see there mean nothing! I saw one guy claim that the four letter slang word for feces wasn't a curse word....because he said so!

I realize this is off topic and I have no intention of hijacking the thread .... but it is worthy of one comment.....

It is irrational for an atheist to hate a being that he doesn't believe exists.

It might be irrational, but as you can see, it's quite the way it is. The anger and hate flows out at the only object their hate can directly focus on, since they can't see and rebel against God directly, His followers. Psalm 14:1 The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.â€

One atheist I met said that it was impossible to be a Christian/theist and a scientist at the same time. When I mentioned people like Newton and Francis Collins he replied that they ceased to be Christian whenever they did anything scientific and became Christian again when they stopped. 

One atheist I met said that it was impossible to be a Christian/theist and a scientist at the same time. When I mentioned people like Newton and Francis Collins he replied that they ceased to be Christian whenever they did anything scientific and became Christian again when they stopped. 

I might say the almost the same thing.  There is no Christian science or Buddhist science or Muslim science or Jewish science or atheist science.  It's just science.

In a discussion about CO2 and global warming, I've had a person on Youtube claim that trees cannot remove CO2 from the atmosphere. When questioned why he / she claimed that it was because they don't grow in the atmosphere....

Never heard of diffusion I guess ;)

• Like 2

In a discussion about CO2 and global warming, I've had a person on Youtube claim that trees cannot remove CO2 from the atmosphere. When questioned why he / she claimed that it was because they don't grow in the atmosphere....

Never heard of diffusion I guess ;)

Or the carbon cycle, not do they know where the carbon that makes up so much of the tree comes from.  Besides, every tree I've ever seen is growing in the atmosphere.

Or the carbon cycle, not do they know where the carbon that makes up so much of the tree comes from.  Besides, every tree I've ever seen is growing in the atmosphere.

Yeah I was trying to explain to him / her that they (the Green movement) should be praising the timber industry since using timber for building acts as a carbon sink, hence removing that pesky CO2 from the carbon cycle for as long as the timber is in use.

Yeah I was trying to explain to him / her that they (the Green movement) should be praising the timber industry since using timber for building acts as a carbon sink, hence removing that pesky CO2 from the carbon cycle for as long as the timber is in use.

Unfortunately, using timber for construction has a way of removing the tree as a carbon sink.  (The wood in the tree has already been removed from the atmosphere.)

Over here, we have activist "tree huggers" putting spikes in trees to "booby trap" them causing damage to the chain saws used to cut the trees down .... and possible (serious) injury to the loggers.

Unfortunately, using timber for construction has a way of removing the tree as a carbon sink.  (The wood in the tree has already been removed from the atmosphere.)

It still is a carbon sink as it is used for lumber since the carbon the tree had collected is still within it's structure, (it doesn't escape or anything).

Then you plant more trees and thus capture more CO2 from the atmosphere, whilst the other CO2 that was captured previously is stored within the physical structure of the lumber that was used for construction ;)

Over here, we have activist "tree huggers" putting spikes in trees to "booby trap" them causing damage to the chain saws used to cut the trees down .... and possible (serious) injury to the loggers.

Yup sounds like the usual hippy / crazy leftist mentality...

X issue is a moral prerogative

Since X issue is a moral prerogative it must be stopped by any means necessary... Damn the safety of others and their property..

It still is a carbon sink as it is used for lumber since the carbon the tree had collected is still within it's structure, (it doesn't escape or anything).

Then you plant more trees and thus capture more CO2 from the atmosphere, whilst the other CO2 that was captured previously is stored within the physical structure of the lumber that was used for construction ;)

Yup sounds like the usual hippy / crazy leftist mentality...

X issue is a moral prerogative

Since X issue is a moral prerogative it must be stopped by any means necessary... Damn the safety of others and their property..

Maybe leftist, but definitely not hippy.

When the whole hippy thing started, I was in university about a half-mile (1 km or so) from the "epicenter" of the movement.... the Haight-Ashbury.  To this day, I wish I had stolen the sign on the street corner at that time.  It would be worth tens of thousands of dollars today. 

The point is that I have first hand experience with the "real" hippies.  On Market Street (the main street in "downtown" San Francisco) I would often encounter hippies walking in the opposite direction.  Just in passing, they would often offer to share their French-fires and if the weather was in the 50's (Fahrenheit say 10-15C) and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt, they would offer to give me their jacket.

When the drugs started to infiltrate their culture, most of the true hippies left town and set up communes.  They would be the last persons to spike a tree in hopes of injuring a logger.

When I was a technician on the Space Shuttle project, one of my co-workers would sometimes call me an "aging hippy."  He was puzzled when I considered that a compliment .... until I explained what the REAL hippies were all about.  With the exception of "free love," they were about the most Christian group of people (in their behavior) I ever met.

(Vacation is over .... heading back home in a matter of minutes.... it was great but now I have a 24 hour drive ahead of me.  (Note: I stop about halfway and spend the night, my wife won't let me drive straight thru.)

Maybe leftist, but definitely not hippy.

When the whole hippy thing started, I was in university about a half-mile (1 km or so) from the "epicenter" of the movement.... the Haight-Ashbury.  To this day, I wish I had stolen the sign on the street corner at that time.  It would be worth tens of thousands of dollars today. 

The point is that I have first hand experience with the "real" hippies.  On Market Street (the main street in "downtown" San Francisco) I would often encounter hippies walking in the opposite direction.  Just in passing, they would often offer to share their French-fires and if the weather was in the 50's (Fahrenheit say 10-15C) and I was wearing a short sleeve shirt, they would offer to give me their jacket.

When the drugs started to infiltrate their culture, most of the true hippies left town and set up communes.  They would be the last persons to spike a tree in hopes of injuring a logger.

When I was a technician on the Space Shuttle project, one of my co-workers would sometimes call me an "aging hippy."  He was puzzled when I considered that a compliment .... until I explained what the REAL hippies were all about.  With the exception of "free love," they were about the most Christian group of people (in their behavior) I ever met.

(Vacation is over .... heading back home in a matter of minutes.... it was great but now I have a 24 hour drive ahead of me.  (Note: I stop about halfway and spend the night, my wife won't let me drive straight thru.)

I'd have to apologise Piasan, I've done a bit of research and have found that those who I believed were "hippies" where instead social justice warriors. I guess from my experience of the SJW many of them are hippies and so from what I've seen there is a common cross-over of the two. However I must admit that grouping them together isn't doing (the good) hippies justice.

I'll try and refrain myself from deeming such as hippie, rather I'd try and use the term SJW more often.

However I will state that the modern version of things these days are crappier versions of the original, just look at third-wave feminsim ;) (Never tackle actual women's issues like honour killing in Islamic countries, rather fighting the "injustice" of first-world problems)

I'd have to apologise Piasan, I've done a bit of research and have found that those who I believed were "hippies" where instead social justice warriors. I guess from my experience of the SJW many of them are hippies and so from what I've seen there is a common cross-over of the two. However I must admit that grouping them together isn't doing (the good) hippies justice.

No apology is necessary.  The misconception of what the original hippies were is very common..... if I hadn't been there and experienced it myself I'd probably have the same perception of them as most others.  The confusion is easily understood as, in San Francisco, the hippies were replaced by a drug culture and social activists.

However I will state that the modern version of things these days are crappier versions of the original, just look at third-wave feminsim ;) (Never tackle actual women's issues like honour killing in Islamic countries, rather fighting the "injustice" of first-world problems)

The interesting thing about these "social justice" movements is that they focus on Christianity and western civilization while granting a "free pass" to those of other cultures who routinely engage in practices that would result in long jail sentences here.

No apology is necessary.  The misconception of what the original hippies were is very common..... if I hadn't been there and experienced it myself I'd probably have the same perception of them as most others.  The confusion is easily understood as, in San Francisco, the hippies were replaced by a drug culture and social activists.

The interesting thing about these "social justice" movements is that they focus on Christianity and western civilization while granting a "free pass" to those of other cultures who routinely engage in practices that would result in long jail sentences here.

Yes its utterly inane, and honestly I don't understand the logic behind their double-think.

Whilst the issues frustrates me to no end, the commentary some people make about the SJW is amusing. Here are some videos by one guy I listen to often, I will advise that there is some swearing in these videos.

i believe it's possible to remain both at the same time.

after all, there are no standards that can be applied to both.

i'm quite confident the cell didn't arise from natural processes*.

i'm quite confident epigenetics/transposons isn't an "add on" to the genome, it co evolved with it.

the c value paradox.

these are things that are practically impossible to explain with a coherent theory.

yes, i know there are loads of assumptions and guesses.

there may be a god, there may not be, i'm more interested in learning how this stuff works.

* natural processes as we know them to be.

i believe there is a good chance we don't know everything about the universe.