Evolution Fairytale Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Perpetual_student

New Member: Perpetual_Student

Hi there,

my screen name is Perpetual_student.

i have been lurking a long time, but a post by Mike the Wiz has convinced me to join and create an account.

http://evolutionfairytale.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6811-dear-lurkers-those-that-read-the-forum-but-dont-speak-alexa/

About my screen name: I focus on permanent and life long improvement. I see a kind of beauty in the effort that someone makes in improving himself/herself after a tiresome day at work. Be it in reading about science, history, philosophy, learning a foreign language, mastering a music instrument or simply gardening; I like the effort made.

About my background: I have a master degree in analytical chemistry. Due to my education I have also some knowledge of biochemistry and genetics. Although I have no formal degree in these, I have been reading about it during my leisure time. Expect me to post mainly about these subjects.

I have also been active in amateur astronomy during my youth, but that is some time ago.

*check his grey hairs*

I might post about the topic of astronomy too, but my knowledge might be outdated. We will see if I'll be up to the task.

About opponents and interlocutors.

I value the search for truth very high. As such I don't consider someone with a different opinion not an opponent but an interlocutor. Someone with who I engage in a debate. I have the term interlocutor from this serie of Youtube clips:

If you are looking for truth, be open minded to listen to what your interlocutor has to say than a civil discussion can follow. A civil discussion doesn't need to end in someone changing his mind. If one or all interlocutors have been forced to think deeper about their viewpoint, to see certain questions under a different angle, to study deeper certain points and check primary sources, then the discussion can be a win for all participants (and for the lurkers). If you're confronted with questions you never thought about (and are not afraid of these questions), then you understanding of your own viewpoint will be improved.

If you only think in terms of "winning" a debate and defeating "the other side", then you're indeed an opponent.

I hope to be confronted with these challenges, so let the debating begin.

• Like 2

Advancing by babysteps

While some posters like treat big subjects at once and a vast amount of topics at topics together, I prefer to move forward in small discrete steps. If a disagreement finish in an agreement of a small subtopic, like a single definition, or a side issue, then the discussion is a success. 

I will very often focus on those minor issues, about which I believen that agreement is possible, rather than getting dragged in endless quagmires. 

Welcome to the forum.

I look forward to us learning from each other....

Welcome to the forum.

It's always nice to read fresh personalities and views. Forums are a bit like newspapers to me, sometimes if there is no, "news" to read, no new posts or threads, they can become dull and stagnant. I myself write a lot more than I likely would if there were more members. I am glad you joined,  Ziggy says I have changed history once again. ;)

welcome to the forum.

about truth, it's probably stranger than either of us imagined.

hey, i think einstein said that (or something similar).

• Like 1

One of my new years resolutions is to be more regular in my postings here. (And it seems most NY resolutions are abandoned halfway January :wacko: ).

Anyway, I want to give it a try.

I also take the opportunity to clarify something I wrote in my first post: we can be opponents or we can be interlocutors. But I value interlocutors more. If after a discussion one or all  the interlocutors have the feeling to have learned something, to have deepened their understanding of the subject or to have looked to a problem from a different angle, that's a big win. In a debate only one side wins, in a discussion all sides can wil. If in a discussion you have to look what a theologian said about a point, and it strengths you in your faith, that's fine, that's a win.

That's also why I like to advance by babysteps, and try to keep discussions within certain boundaries. I know that i sometimes have refused to engage in a new brought in a discussion before an older point was settled. Or that I really shepherd the threads that I open, like I did here

https://evolutionfairytale.com/forum/index.php?/topic/6880-if-the-earth-is-only-6000-years-old/&do=findComment&comment=145778

That is something I will continue to do.

A happy New Year to everyone. I wish all you the best, a good health, a fulfilling job and to be surrounded by people that love you, appreciate you and are uplifting.

• Like 1