Evolution Fairytale Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Interesting Examination Of The Shroud Of Turin

I'm not a "shroud" guy, per se, but I ran across this video and it is the most detailed examination of the Shroud of Turin that I've seen to date.

My feeling is that they "see" things in the shroud that I just plain don't see, and then build a whole scenario around it. It makes me wonder if they presuppose what should be there and then "find" it where they think it should be. It's just a thought, I'm not dogmatic about the shroud either way.

In your comments please be respectful. This may or may not be a shroud that covered Christ in the tomb ... I believe the jury is still out on that one. But, if it is real, it would be an important relic.

I have found that i'm stricken either way, as it were.... If, it be that of a forgery.... Oh indeed what of a forger whom possesses such a skill set in antiquity..... If, contrary........... i'm utterly speechless all the same.............. But if contrary let it be not found to hold any such D.N.A.......... I fear we all are fully aware of such implications..............

I have found that i'm stricken either way, as it were.... If, it be that of a forgery.... Oh indeed what of a forger whom possesses such a skill set in antiquity..... If, contrary........... i'm utterly speechless all the same.............. But if contrary let it be not found to hold any such D.N.A.......... I fear we all are fully aware of such implications..............

"Stricken" is a much stronger word that i should of used.... Nonetheless i contend almost "EVERYTHING" form the Romans Pagans should be looked at with salt glasses...........

I'm not a "shroud" guy, per se, but I ran across this video and it is the most detailed examination of the Shroud of Turin that I've seen to date.

My feeling is that they "see" things in the shroud that I just plain don't see, and then build a whole scenario around it. It makes me wonder if they presuppose what should be there and then "find" it where they think it should be. It's just a thought, I'm not dogmatic about the shroud either way.

In your comments please be respectful. This may or may not be a shroud that covered Christ in the tomb ... I believe the jury is still out on that one. But, if it is real, it would be an important relic.

I'm rather skeptical of some statements in the video. ...

They seemed to suggest Jesus may have had a cloth wrapped around his waist.  Given the historical context, He would certainly have been stripped naked before being attached to the cross.

Another point was the claim of nail imprints on the shroud.  Nails were expensive and the Romans most likely would have removed them before turning the body over.  One set of nail marks that shroud does have right is the placement in the wrists rather than the hands.  We now know that nails thru the hands would not be able to hold the body's weight without ripping out unless some kind of "washer" was used

As I understand it, scientific testing on the shroud is mixed.  Pollen says the shroud was in Jerusalem before 700 AD.  Carbon dating was made much more difficult by the 1532 fire with the 1988 tests showing about 1300 AD and 2013 testing showed 300BC - 400AD.

My own feelings about the shroud are also mixed but I lean toward skepticism.  This is mainly due to the known history of the shroud itself and its rather sudden appearance at a time when a lot of "relics" were being looted in the Holy Land.

• Like 1

I'm rather skeptical of some statements in the video. ...

They seemed to suggest Jesus may have had a cloth wrapped around his waist.  Given the historical context, He would certainly have been stripped naked before being attached to the cross.

Another point was the claim of nail imprints on the shroud.  Nails were expensive and the Romans most likely would have removed them before turning the body over.  One set of nail marks that shroud does have right is the placement in the wrists rather than the hands.  We now know that nails thru the hands would not be able to hold the body's weight without ripping out unless some kind of "washer" was used

As I understand it, scientific testing on the shroud is mixed.  Pollen says the shroud was in Jerusalem before 700 AD.  Carbon dating was made much more difficult by the 1532 fire with the 1988 tests showing about 1300 AD and 2013 testing showed 300BC - 400AD.

My own feelings about the shroud are also mixed but I lean toward skepticism.  This is mainly due to the known history of the shroud itself and its rather sudden appearance at a time when a lot of "relics" were being looted in the Holy Land.

As iv'e thought about this topic again, and again. I understand the 'Awe' that this item has. And the potential 'Power' this carries with it, even if it is not whats claimed.. My mind continues to 'Think' of 'Crisper' technologies and the D.N.A. if found on item......I 'Imagine' a most 'Shocking' outcome given modern abilities... :kaffeetrinker: