Evolution Fairytale Forum

For about the last 6 months I've been having some issues at work with other co-workers. I work as a social worker at a nursing home and have had several issues with some of the nursing staff. I oversee about 70 to 80 long term care residents at any time and sometimes am not able to cover all the work that is required. Some of the staff feels that I should be on top of things all the time, but I feel that with the current case load/work load is not physically possible for me to cover it all. I've been receiving more and more criticism as time has gone on. I feel that my work is under a microscope. I feel like one particular nurse is out to get me because she is critical of almost everything I do. 

I would literally have work 8 am to 8 pm to stay on top of everything. However, while I like to work and get things done, I have an 8 month old at home that I need to help my wife with, and while I am willing to provide for my family, I am not willing to sacrifice time with them. Moments that are crucial for my son. 

I have been praying for the Lord to help me out with the situation and that His will would be done when it comes to this particular workplace. I do feel that each passing day and week I am slowly being pushed out from the position by the strictness and unrealistic expectations and the glaring looks I receive when something is pointed out as incomplete. I also feel that some of my coworkers are held to a different standard and approached differently which I find hurtful. I don't make waves and am one of the most submissive people in the workplace that I can be. 

I know that things could be worse off and am thankful to the Lord for His love and mercy to me. All I ask from brothers and sisters on this thread is for prayer for guidance from the Lord for me to go in the direction that He would have me go and to go for his glory. Thank you all and God bless! 

• Like 2

That's a difficult situation. All I can say myself is, as long as you have done everything to your best, which you clearly have then your conscience is clear.

I don't want to judge or anything but it seems to me with non-Christians, because they don't have the spirit, they are of a different mind. Even those who do a good job which I'm sure they do, they are free to backbite, bad-mouth, be wise in their own opinion, jump to conclusions, and let ignorance have free reign.

My advice is the advice I give to myself at times; DON'T GET ON BOARD.  That is to say - I basically tell myself this; "well, I am going to concentrate on what I am doing, not what others are doing. They can say/think what they want, because I can't think for them, and I can't change them. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

LOJ, it really doesn't matter when the lions circle because they can't bite unless God let's them. The Lord has the final say. If you're in charge of these people it's time to tell them this; "put your trust in the Lord......but your ass belongs to me." ;)

In other words - you're the one in charge here, perhaps it's time to make some sort of complaint, not something serious, but something on a notice board saying workers jobs will be threatened if they keep disrespecting the one in charge. I'd put this on the note, "several workers are now under scrutiny for undermining my head boyship, they'll be under evaluation for the next weeks to see if they are working against the head boy or for him, and then their positions will be evaluated, to see if they are part of the team or need to ship out." :farmer: 

Then watch the change in their predictable flesh. Fear for self preservation will change their attitudes overnight. ;)

But above all, it's hard to be a Christian in a world of hate, and self-interest. Don't make the mistake of thinking you're alone. If your workers were all in the Lord you wouldn't believe how much we would be your friend. 

"The Lord must win the battle." Take it to Him in prayer, ask Him what to do firstly.

• Like 2

I don't want to judge or anything but it seems to me with non-Christians, because they don't have the spirit, they are of a different mind. Even those who do a good job which I'm sure they do, they are free to backbite, bad-mouth, be wise in their own opinion, jump to conclusions, and let ignorance have free reign.

You don't want to judge but you have assumed his co workers are not Christians based on their behaviour. You're on dodgy ground there. Would be interesting to know now whether there are Christians amongst them.

Oh but they're not true Christians...

• Like 1

Wibble, LOL yes we all indeed stumble and fall at times. It is rather difficult to work in hostel environments as we all know. I try and always remember the following as a means of 'support' and 'strength' in stressful times. 

Colossians 3:23-24 King James Version (KJV)

23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. It can carry me through many tough work related situations. As i have stated before, here, it's not always 'Easy' to keep ourselves in prayer and supplication sometimes... 

Philippians 4:6-8 King James Version (KJV)

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.  Most would think this could and would be 'Easily Achieved' for Christians... This is why i also state contrary to most secularist views of Christians, we struggle at times to 'KEEP' this focus in our lives.... I say its 'NOT' so 'Easy' to be a Christian, its far tougher than mere bystanders would believe. Less they consider it themselves and try it for just a single day, let alone a never ending 'Path' as it were... We continue 'running the race' just as any great world renowned athlete would do physically, we do so spiritually. And 'Gain' much wisdom and strength as we do so. Tiss truly a 'Battle Field', of ones mind..... 

Isaiah 41:10 King James Version (KJV)

10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. So by all means rest assured our God can and shall see you and us through!! Keep your head up 'Lion Of Judah'. Jobs come and go... Your family must be taught and guided by you Sir, they are always watching you Lion. Your sons and daughters will always look 'UP' to you just as we always looked 'UP' to ours.

• Like 3

Wibble: Wibble, LOL yes we all indeed stumble and fall at times. It is rather difficult to work in hostel environments as we all know. I try and always remember the following as a means of 'support' and 'strength' in stressful times. 

I think Wibble is looking at this in debate-mode. Perhaps he has forgotten the context in which I made my statements, which was a conversational context between Christians. This is after all the prayer-section.

Could it be Wibble took umbridge at my comments about the behaviour of those outside of Christ?

So I'm not going to get into a debate because I wasn't making any claims, I was just talking to a fellow Christian. 

For example Wibble, you might eavesdrop on two women talking about men but they likely might not say those things in the company of men, but they're conversing in a way by which they both talk to each other with a kind of, "knowing" of what the other person means, because both people are women, and both experience the same things.

In the same way in a place like this, the prayer-section, I talked to LOJ in the context of the understanding we have, from the shared experience of being believers in the Lord.

So what number of Christians he works with etc....yeah I wasn't really making anything more than a general statement about the world, and I think he will know that, that BASICALLY, there are those who are of the Lord, have the spirit and follow Him, and those who don't, so they have a different mind.

Yes, to some extent Christians can also end up not being a good example and can let bad habits slip in there, too. There is also the factor of those claiming Christianity by name-tag, of which if the surveys in the U.S are anywhere near accurate, apparently a large contingent will describe themselves as Christian in some way, because they once attended a mass when they were eight years old. So part of the problem is the vast number of people who THINK they're Christian, wear the name-tag but basically don't have any fellowship with God or know Him in the slightest.

But as I say, I wasn't debating so it's inappropriate for you to expect me to defend something out-of-context, which was never meant for debate. (a bit below the belt for you to try and start a debate in the prayer section when you know I would have lowered my defences.)

• Like 3

For about the last 6 months I've been having some issues at work with other co-workers. I work as a social worker at a nursing home and have had several issues with some of the nursing staff. I oversee about 70 to 80 long term care residents at any time and sometimes am not able to cover all the work that is required. Some of the staff feels that I should be on top of things all the time, but I feel that with the current case load/work load is not physically possible for me to cover it all. I've been receiving more and more criticism as time has gone on. I feel that my work is under a microscope. I feel like one particular nurse is out to get me because she is critical of almost everything I do. 

I would literally have work 8 am to 8 pm to stay on top of everything. However, while I like to work and get things done, I have an 8 month old at home that I need to help my wife with, and while I am willing to provide for my family, I am not willing to sacrifice time with them. Moments that are crucial for my son. 

I have been praying for the Lord to help me out with the situation and that His will would be done when it comes to this particular workplace. I do feel that each passing day and week I am slowly being pushed out from the position by the strictness and unrealistic expectations and the glaring looks I receive when something is pointed out as incomplete. I also feel that some of my coworkers are held to a different standard and approached differently which I find hurtful. I don't make waves and am one of the most submissive people in the workplace that I can be.

It looks like there has been a sudden shift in the way your job performance is perceived at work.  From what you say, you feel someone is out to get you.  My experience is if that's the feeling you get, they probably are. 

My advice ..... pray for the best and plan for the worst.  Keep doing your job to the best of your ability.  Update your resume.  Start a job search.

One more thing ..... don't burn bridges.

• Like 1

Wibble: Wibble, LOL yes we all indeed stumble and fall at times. It is rather difficult to work in hostel environments as we all know. I try and always remember the following as a means of 'support' and 'strength' in stressful times. 

I think Wibble is looking at this in debate-mode. Perhaps he has forgotten the context in which I made my statements, which was a conversational context between Christians. This is after all the prayer-section.

Could it be Wibble took umbridge at my comments about the behaviour of those outside of Christ?

So I'm not going to get into a debate because I wasn't making any claims, I was just talking to a fellow Christian. 

While I can't speak for Wibble, what I saw was this:

It creates at least an appearance that you are turning an employment situation into a Christian vs. non-Christian issue without any kind of justification.

My read on it is that LOJ's relationship with his co-workers has become (at least) uncomfortable.  Most likely because he's simply getting stretched too thin... he does mention it would take him 12 hours a day to do his job right.  That kind of situation rarely gets better.  

Over here, most states have "employment at-will" laws.  Basically that means employment can be terminated pretty much by either party at any time for any reason.

That's why, while I encourage LOJ to pray for the best, I also advise him to prepare for the worst.

That's a difficult situation. All I can say myself is, as long as you have done everything to your best, which you clearly have then your conscience is clear.

My advice is the advice I give to myself at times; DON'T GET ON BOARD.  That is to say - I basically tell myself this; "well, I am going to concentrate on what I am doing, not what others are doing. They can say/think what they want, because I can't think for them, and I can't change them. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change."

LOJ, it really doesn't matter when the lions circle because they can't bite unless God let's them. The Lord has the final say. If you're in charge of these people it's time to tell them this; "put your trust in the Lord......but your ass belongs to me." ;)

In other words - you're the one in charge here, perhaps it's time to make some sort of complaint, not something serious, but something on a notice board saying workers jobs will be threatened if they keep disrespecting the one in charge. I'd put this on the note, "several workers are now under scrutiny for undermining my head boyship, they'll be under evaluation for the next weeks to see if they are working against the head boy or for him, and then their positions will be evaluated, to see if they are part of the team or need to ship out." :farmer: 

Then watch the change in their predictable flesh. Fear for self preservation will change their attitudes overnight. ;)

But above all, it's hard to be a Christian in a world of hate, and self-interest. Don't make the mistake of thinking you're alone. If your workers were all in the Lord you wouldn't believe how much we would be your friend. 

"The Lord must win the battle." Take it to Him in prayer, ask Him what to do firstly.

Mike, 

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have been doing what you've suggested and concentrated on the work I've been doing and doing it to the best of my ability. 

You are very correct in saying that the Lord has the final say and that if it wasn't given to them from above they would not be able to do anything to anyone. The battle does belong to the Lord!

In a world that is still under the curse, people often times do things that are spiteful, but even in those instances their God-given conscience reminds them that they are out of line. Some respond to it better than others, but conviction still hits most of them. 

I plan to keep my head down, do my job to the best of my ability and let the Lord work. I pray that they will see my example and wonder why I don't fight back. I've been praying for them as well. 

Thanks again for the encouraging words and God bless! 

• Like 1

Wibble, LOL yes we all indeed stumble and fall at times. It is rather difficult to work in hostel environments as we all know. I try and always remember the following as a means of 'support' and 'strength' in stressful times. 

Colossians 3:23-24 King James Version (KJV)

23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. It can carry me through many tough work related situations. As i have stated before, here, it's not always 'Easy' to keep ourselves in prayer and supplication sometimes... 

Philippians 4:6-8 King James Version (KJV)

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.  Most would think this could and would be 'Easily Achieved' for Christians... This is why i also state contrary to most secularist views of Christians, we struggle at times to 'KEEP' this focus in our lives.... I say its 'NOT' so 'Easy' to be a Christian, its far tougher than mere bystanders would believe. Less they consider it themselves and try it for just a single day, let alone a never ending 'Path' as it were... We continue 'running the race' just as any great world renowned athlete would do physically, we do so spiritually. And 'Gain' much wisdom and strength as we do so. Tiss truly a 'Battle Field', of ones mind..... 

Isaiah 41:10 King James Version (KJV)

10 Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. So by all means rest assured our God can and shall see you and us through!! Keep your head up 'Lion Of Judah'. Jobs come and go... Your family must be taught and guided by you Sir, they are always watching you Lion. Your sons and daughters will always look 'UP' to you just as we always looked 'UP' to ours.

KB, 

Thank you for being supportive with your kind words and encouraging verses. It is very true that any and all work we do in God's economy is ultimately for Him. If we can continually remind ourselves to focus on doing the work for the Lord and not for men, we can have more satisfaction from it, even when it's not easy. 

I am in a position of service and find great joy and satisfaction from serving and waiting on elderly folks. And because the things I do are true, honest, just and so on I know that I am in step with the Spirit and that the Lord is pleased. 

I really enjoyed your last verse that reminds us that the Lord is our God and He will strengthen us. There is no greater joy than to know that the Maker of all things is beside us all the way. The verse is also a reminder of faith, and us placing our faith in Him in all things. Jobs to come and go, as you say, and so I will focus on doing my best and being there for my family. 

Thanks and blessings, KB!

• Like 1

It looks like there has been a sudden shift in the way your job performance is perceived at work.  From what you say, you feel someone is out to get you.  My experience is if that's the feeling you get, they probably are. 

My advice ..... pray for the best and plan for the worst.  Keep doing your job to the best of your ability.  Update your resume.  Start a job search.

One more thing ..... don't burn bridges.

Hi Piasan, 

Thanks for the kind words. I've heard the saying: don't burn your bridges. I do not intend on burning my bridges at my current workplace. If I go out, I intend to go out peacefully. 

Thanks, again. Best wishes.  

While I can't speak for Wibble, what I saw was this:

It creates at least an appearance that you are turning an employment situation into a Christian vs. non-Christian issue without any kind of justification.

My read on it is that LOJ's relationship with his co-workers has become (at least) uncomfortable.  Most likely because he's simply getting stretched too thin... he does mention it would take him 12 hours a day to do his job right.  That kind of situation rarely gets better.  

Over here, most states have "employment at-will" laws.  Basically that means employment can be terminated pretty much by either party at any time for any reason.

That's why, while I encourage LOJ to pray for the best, I also advise him to prepare for the worst.

"It creates at least an appearance that you are turning an employment situation into a Christian vs. non-Christian issue without any kind of justification."

If you were born again of the spirit why would you write this? Of COURSE it is a Christian (Born again of the spirit) vs Non Christian (NOT Born again of the spirit) issue!!! It is ALWAYS the issue when it comes to these situations. ALWAYS. whenlooking at it from a Spiritual Worldview!! (The ONLY worldview that matters BTW)

• Like 1

If you were born again of the spirit why would you write this? Of COURSE it is a Christian (Born again of the spirit) vs Non Christian (NOT Born again of the spirit) issue!!! It is ALWAYS the issue when it comes to these situations. ALWAYS. whenlooking at it from a Spiritual Worldview!! (The ONLY worldview that matters BTW)

I could write that because it's a work issue and Lion provided no information at all about the beliefs of anyone involved.  Nor are their beliefs relevant to his situation. 

Having held jobs where my supervisors just kept adding incremental tasks to the point where it simply wasn't possible to get everything done in the day, I have a pretty good idea of what Lion is going through.  All of the signs are there.

This is The Prayer Room and I certainly encourage Lion to pray for guidance.  The worldview of Lion and/or his coworkers is relevant only in how Lion goes about fulfilling God's will for him.   There are many ways in which social workers serve, but they don't need to be miserable at work while doing so.

I don't know your work situation in detail. But I think you should your job description and work load be reviewed by management there. You can also do that yourself documenting your tasks and the time needed to perform them. 

• Like 1

An update on my job situation. Thank you all for the encouraging comments and for your prayers! I accepted a new job that was offered to me late last year (October 2018). I now work part-time and I have a higher income as a result. God is good! I have Tuesdays off and am able to spend all day with my 16th-month-old son. The work is much lighter and I am able to keep on top of things pretty well. I am hardly at the main office because my job has me out seeing patients all day. I get along with my co-workers very well and everyone is very nice. 

I wish you all the best in 2019 and Happy Easter!   

• Like 3

On 4/20/2019 at 11:36 PM, Lion of Judah said:

An update on my job situation. Thank you all for the encouraging comments and for your prayers! I accepted a new job that was offered to me late last year (October 2018). I now work part-time and I have a higher income as a result. God is good! I have Tuesdays off and am able to spend all day with my 16th-month-old son. The work is much lighter and I am able to keep on top of things pretty well. I am hardly at the main office because my job has me out seeing patients all day. I get along with my co-workers very well and everyone is very nice. 

I wish you all the best in 2019 and Happy Easter!   

From what you said, it looked to me like it was time for a change of jobs.  I'm happy to hear things have worked out for you.