Evolution Fairytale Forum
Sign in to follow this  
mike the wiz

Idea To Solve Forum Problems A Fair Bit.

I have an idea to solve the forum's problems. Not completely but it would make the forum far easier to work with while the problems are in place.

Basically when you see the main forum sections all on one page, "headquarters, origins, the bible, politics", if we chose an old thread from each, and made those forums themselves basicaly into one thread, and did not post in any other threads, then it would pretty much be close to normal.

This is because old threads still basically work. If you post in any thread which is older than when these problems began, if you click on that thread, you will see all of the posts up to date.

SO, think about it - in the individual forums such as, "miscellaneous" which is in the "origins" section, that old thread would not show as updated.

But in the forums listed section where you see on one page, ""headquarters, origins, the bible, politics", this page is updated each day if a post is made, and it will let you know there is a new post, but if you click on the forum it is in, such as, "miscellaneous", it won't be updated.

Conclusion: So if we nominated an old thread for the miscellaneous forum, and only posted in that thread, and if we nominated an old thread for the age of the earth forum and we all agreed to only post in that thread, then from the forums-listed page we would see each day there had been a new post in that forum, click on it, it would be up to date, then we could post, and we would see our post was the last one, and it would be.

So basically we would be skipping the individual topics, by only taking part in one topic for each forum, of which we have nominated as the topic for that forum because it's an old topic which is functioning correctly. So if we took for example the "list of unchanged organisms showing zero evolution", topic, if that topic became the topic for the evolution versus creation forum, we could then use that topic for all discussions to do with evolution and creation, not just unchanged organisms. So we could broaden our scope so to speak. We could even quote previous discussions from other threads and just bring them into that one topic.

Just an idea, it would make it a lot simpler and easier to do, you could then edit posts, and not have to hunt down the most recent ones.

(sorry I do have a tendency to waffle because I deeply believe I am bad at explaining things. Lol)

(this all depends on my theory being true, that old threads are functioning okay, but so far every one I have clicked on does seem to work as it doesn't jump to the top of the page, and it will show the last post, and you can edit, etc....)

• Like 1

hey, i just realized i made a post here.

so, what are you proposing here master waffle?

one big long thread to hold ALL the forum topics, or, one big thread in each sub forum to hold all the topics, or, something else.

One big thread in the miscellaneous, one big thread in the EvC, one big thread in the age of the earth. So one old thread for each forum in "origins" for example. 

That way when you click on the page which lists all of the forums, you will see a to date post, and instead of clicking on the forum you click on the thread from there.

Come on son, it's not rocket science. ;)

Based on what has happened with previous threads, this will work as long as you don't fill the page. 

The problem manifests itself when a new page opens up.  As soon as the next page opens up, you will no longer be able to reach the last post on the thread without somehow opening that page.

It looks like none of the counters are updating.  Notice, all the new subjects are at 0 posts and 0 views.  Your own post counts only if you open a new post on a new topic.

The only counter that seems to be working is the one that detects new posts when you are writing a post.  I'm guessing that one compares the last post in the topic with the bottom post on the page and notifies if there is a difference.  The notification gives us a chance to access the new material. 

The new posts are shown as an extension of the page you're on, not a new page.

Oh yeah, the "likes" counter seems to be working too.

OK, I went to the "list problems" thread started on July 9 and pushed it past 20 posts.   As expected, I was unable to reach post 21 without going through "the process."

Good thinking, though mike.

I had thought we could open a new topic every time we reach the bottom of a page.  In other words, once a topic reaches 20 posts, start a new topic.  I haven't suggested it because I think it would quickly create a lot of logistical problems with a need to open multiple topics to follow a single thread.

• Like 1

Thanks for trying guys, but I'm a little puzzled that the people who created the forum are not able to provide technical support. What about the moderators, do they know of someone who can assist with these technical problems? Unless the issues are fixed by someone who runs the system, our only option is to circumvent them. 

Ah well never mind. I guess I was thrown off by the fact older posts can have about 17 pages, and seemed to be doing okay but as you say Piasan perhaps they haven't been pushed beyond that count and that allowed me to think they may be good to go along with. I guess the true cause was that older posts get fewer recent posts added. I could have sworn the "humor" thread had more posts but when I looked it hasn't had a new page for quite a while as you indicated.

It's a shame, if it had worked it would have been a lot simpler, and would give a sense of the way it used to be.

Toad-nostalgia you see! ;)

(Lion I think the admin are busy folk, and this site has a history of problems, I think the admin started this site such a long time ago that some of them don't attend any more too. At times there isn't much of a moderator presence. If I'm correct only Bonedigger and Fred Williams have the powers to change it but they are usually too busy with real life to entertain the Toad) :D

My understanding is that Fred, the owner, is some kind of software engineer. So, I'm sure they have the knowledge to fix it or know who they can enlist to solve it. I believe the problem comes down to resources. This forum is 100% free for users, and I haven't seen a single ad in all my time here; the admins and moderators keep the forum running with their own money and free time outside of real-life responsibilities. The admins/mods know about the problems and are working to solve them. Issues of this magnitude require us to be patient, but I can see improvement; I can now write posts normally which I couldn't before.

Thanks for trying guys, but I'm a little puzzled that the people who created the forum are not able to provide technical support. What about the moderators, do they know of someone who can assist with these technical problems? Unless the issues are fixed by someone who runs the system, our only option is to circumvent them. 

Shortly after the problems began, I was in contact with a couple list "officials."

As I understand it, the problem began when the list exceeded capacity limitations.  I'm not sure exactly what the limitation was, but it caused the system to basically crash.  Also, as I understand it, some software licenses had expired and needed to be renewed.   Apparently, the new software didn't come with the "skins"  (templates(?)) and those needed to be rebuilt which is taking some time.

In the meantime, we will need to do the work-arounds so the forum is still, at least, functional. 

(Lion I think the admin are busy folk, and this site has a history of problems, I think the admin started this site such a long time ago that some of them don't attend any more too. At times there isn't much of a moderator presence. If I'm correct only Bonedigger and Fred Williams have the powers to change it but they are usually too busy with real life to entertain the Toad) :D

My understanding is that Fred, the owner, is some kind of software engineer. So, I'm sure they have the knowledge to fix it or know who they can enlist to solve it. I believe the problem comes down to resources. This forum is 100% free for users, and I haven't seen a single ad in all my time here; the admins and moderators keep the forum running with their own money and free time outside of real-life responsibilities. The admins/mods know about the problems and are working to solve them. Issues of this magnitude require us to be patient, but I can see improvement; I can now write posts normally which I couldn't before.

I don't think it would be too far off base to share what BD explained when I contacted him .....

Is there any update you can share regarding the obvious list problems?

Hi Pi

Yes. We lost a couple of tables in the database when the server ran out of space, and Fred doesn't know how to recreate them. So...he's finally going to renew his license with Invision and have them upgrade the forum and fix everything. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later. But I wasn't going to post anything about it (assuming the post could even be read), because I've been down that road before, and it may be a few weeks before he gets around to it. It's definitely getting frustrating even trying to navigate to new posts. I couldn't even open up or edit a test post I made by trying to open it from my profile, although I could read it there.  :gaah:

As Mike pointed out, this is something list officials will need to do probably in their spare time.

Someone (Killur (?)) suggested the problem may be financial and we may contribute to the forum to help resolve the issues.  I would be willing to do so, but it does change the dynamic in ways that may not be consistent with the wishes of list ownership.  For one thing, we would then be subscribers or owners rather than guests.

Maybe someone involved in list operations has an update on the status of repairs that they can share with us.