Evolution Fairytale Forum
Fred Williams

Forum Upgrade complete!

Sorry everyone for the delay. The forum has so many posts that it took a long to to process all of them after the upgrade. We are now on the latest IPB software. 

I plan to update the board skin soon, but in the meantime everything should work much better than before. 

Fred

Thanks so much.

I know it was a lot of work, and I'm looking forward to things being back to normal.

• Like 1

Thanks piason. I still have some cleanup work to do, such as fixing the rules and faq links. I also will likely update the skin at some point. 

So far from what I can tell this upgrade offers quite a few neat features. I should have done this a while ago, sorry again for dragging my feet!

Fred

FRED !

and i thought she went the way of the titantic.

yes, yes, yes.

you just don't know how much you'll miss something until it's gone, and there for awhile i thought the forum took its last gasp.

kudos to all of you.

edit:

now if i can figure out what all these doodads are for !

• Like 1

Fred, I am glad to see you have renounced your ways as an uppity mammal, for a while there some righteous amniotes were planning a mutiny, but I the faithful Toad and keeper of justice, only second in command to Bonedigger, always said you were a hobbit that would go far once you got rid of that youthful exuberance and became an all round pleasing animal of the woods. 

Ho, ho! Well done Sir. ;)

i really like the profile page of posters.

suave fellas, it looks a lot better than it did.

Oh my now i'm in need of a tutorial!! LOL GLAD to see it back up and kicking!! Wheres my favorite colors for post?? Wheres the E-Mojies??? Topics??? I'm sooooo lost!!!

Fred, thank you for the upgrade. It will make chatting here a lot easier and connecting with people that much better. It's a wonderful ministry. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

clicking on the picture in the upper left doesn't take you to the forum home page anymore.

it seems i have to close the browser then re-search to get back to the home page when i'm responding to PMs.

yes, there is a "forums" button in the upper left but it doesn't seem to be present when i respond to PMs.

i used to be able to click on the picture in the upper left to get back to the forum home page, but not anymore.

20 hours ago, what if said:

i can't use BB code and there doesn't seem to be a button to switch it on.

What if, I'm not sure what you are asking about BB code. The editor menu bar has most of the features that you would need a BB code for ... ie. bold, italic, etc. If you need additional code you can always click on the "Source" option to reveal all the coding used in the comment.

On 9/14/2018 at 12:02 PM, Dave said:

What if, I'm not sure what you are asking about BB code. The editor menu bar has most of the features that you would need a BB code for ... ie. bold, italic, etc. If you need additional code you can always click on the "Source" option to reveal all the coding used in the comment.

there is no "source"  option when i quote posts.

BB code, as in the ability to use quote tags.

my editor has:

bold, italics, underline, strikethrough, link,  quote (but i don't know how to use it in replying to posts), code (but it doesn't appear to use quote tags), emoji, 5 formatting options, text color, text size.

at the bottom we have:

upload files and notify me of replies on the left, insert other media and submit reply on the right.

also, there doesn't appear to be a preview post option. (in this particular post).

plus, i'm posting from a friends computer so i can't ensure my cache and cookies are cleared.

edit:

the quote box above appeared after i clicked on the quote icon in the editor

You will also find "undo" with a right click of the mouse.

Selecting text, holding <control> and right click will give you a couple more options.

The preview option is at the top right of the function menu at the top of the post composition box.  It looks like a sheet of paper with a magnifying glass.

20 hours ago, what if said:

there is no "source"  option when i quote posts.

BB code, as in the ability to use quote tags.

You don't see this when you choose Quote to reply? And allowable BB codes are set by the individual forum settings. You'd have to ask an admin which codes are allowed with this software.

image.png

38 minutes ago, Dave said:

You don't see this when you choose Quote to reply? And allowable BB codes are set by the individual forum settings. You'd have to ask an admin which codes are allowed with this software.

image.png

Nope.   My far left icon is for bold.  There is no "source" button.

I was wondering if there is some way we can get post numbers in a topic back.

concur with piasan on all counts.

no source button.

no big deal i guess, but it makes responding to posts a little awkward.

also, post numbering will alert you to post deletions, which also is no big deal, but it does help to reference posts in very long threads

work round for the quote tag problem:

don't quote the post, but instead click inside make reply box

click on the quote icon

select and drag the required text into the box.

can be used multiple times in posts

What If and Piasan, I'm thinking the Source feature must be a moderator-only option. In the previous version the source button was available for everyone. I can see how it would be awkward now having to sort out nested quotes without being able to do it from "source."

Oh well, some bad with the good, I suppose.

3 hours ago, Dave said:

What If and Piasan, I'm thinking the Source feature must be a moderator-only option. In the previous version the source button was available for everyone. I can see how it would be awkward now having to sort out nested quotes without being able to do it from "source."

Oh well, some bad with the good, I suppose.

Well, I didn't expect the forum would come back exactly as it was.  I knew there would be some old features I'd miss and some new ones  I'd like. 

I'm still learning to navigate the layout and adjusting to some of the changes but I'll get used to that and having the forum up and running more than compensates for a bit of a learning curve.

Of much more concern is that it appears thousands of older posts may have been lost.  I noticed Ikester had (exactly) 12500 posts.  Now it's less than 8000.

:D Well i do believe i have finally figured it all out..... All around good job i say. 

I wanted to update my signature and couldn't figure out how to edit it, then I realized we no longer have signatures. :( 

Is there a way to get them back? If that feature is gone for good I'll get over it; the main thing is that the forum is up and running now. :D