Evolution Fairytale Forum
what if

copyrighted material

Creationists have been banned for plagiarism, so I simply don't take chances.  My suggestion is to take the safer course and treat everything as "copyrighted." and give attribution whenever using something that you did not originate.  At a minimum, acknowledge you are not the original source of the material.

• Like 1

Creationists have been banned for plagiarism, so I simply don't take chances.  My suggestion is to take the safer course and treat everything as "copyrighted." and give attribution whenever using something that you did not originate.  At a minimum, acknowledge you are not the original source of the material.

according to the page i was greeted with today, we can't post any copyrighted material, attributed or not.

maybe there was a typo or something.

another thing along these lines:

what if you happen to have the same views as someone that has copyrighted material?

you come here and you express your views, and it just so happens that someone else has already "copyrighted" it?

i understand the admins position, i just hope they don't go stupid with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, what if said:

according to the page i was greeted with today, we can't post any copyrighted material, attributed or not.

what if you happen to have the same views as someone that has copyrighted material?

you come here and you express your views, and it just so happens that someone else has already "copyrighted" it?

I'm in hopes this is NOT the case as i have just quoted Edmund Burke in the Conspiracy thread!!!:unsure::huh:

2 hours ago, what if said:

I think that page is just a restatement of list rules as Fred has been putting things back together.   I was greeted by the same page when I signed in last night.

My understanding is the concern is more with plagiarism than copyrighted material.  We post copyrighted material from various sources all the time.  Again, the justification for the banning I mentioned was plagiarism, not use of copyrighted material.  

It's pretty hard to get very much depth in these discussions without the use of external references which will (almost) always mean copyrighted material.

2 hours ago, what if said:

It's highly unlikely someone else will have copyrighted the exact terminology used by someone else.

Newbies may get a short tolerance curve on things like plagiarism.  But my experience is that list management has been very patient in terms of dealing with long term members.  Of course, they try to handle most "personal" issues privately.  In the case I referenced, there had been no public mention or correction before the individual was banned.  Frankly, I was surprised by it.  (Note:  the specific individual I'm thinking of is "Dig4gold.")

Again, I think the issue is much more with lack of attribution than merely the use of copyrighted material.  The rule may be poorly stated, but I've never sensed it to be an effort to limit the (properly attributed) use of material from others.

• Like 1

another interesting thing is that each country apparently has different copyright laws.

what is copyrighted here in the states may not be necessarily copyrighted elsewhere.

there is also "fair use", where you are allowed by law to use quotes from copyrighted sources as long as it's attributed.

• Like 1