Evolution Fairytale Forum

*** DISCLAIMER ***

you use the information in this thread AT YOUR OWN RISK.

screwing around with your operating system can and will crash your system, making it unusable.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ! !

as most of you know i've been without internet access for awhile.

i've been going to the local library for access until COVID 19 shut it down.

recently i've found great internet access at an affordable price and i jumped all over it.

all i had to do was to connect everything together and i was good to go.

well i got it all together and i was beside myself when i got online.

the first thing i did was to type "evolution fairytale" into my search engine (google).

google comes back with the usual suspects.

i clicked on the most promising link, and to my dismay i was greeted with a security error.

and it wasn't just evolution fairytale either, this happened with almost 75% of the links i clicked on.

i got on the horn with xfinity and after about 20 minutes of diagnosing the problem they said i needed to upgrade my operating system.

at that time i was using windows XP which worked perfectly before i went offline.

i stalled for about 3 days and i couldn't take it any longer, the internet was screaming my name.

i really couldn't afford it but i purchased a brand new machine for $320 with windows 10.

i got it home, unpacked it, and got it connected.

i only have 2 words for bill gates and they can't be repeated here.

i honestly know what it feels like to get raped.

getting this machine up and running was one of the most intrusive things i've ever experienced.

the really sad part is that most of the software i purchased for my old computer will not run on this piece of crap.

thank you mr. gates.

don't EVER knock on my door you clown.

i see money is more important to you than backward compatibility.

Good to know you're back on line.

Too bad you're now renting your computer from Mr. Gates.   You haven't seen half of it yet.

Microsoft has been known to 'hijack" our computers without warning and do an "update" ....  usually to plug security holes in Windoze.

My wife had installed Google Chrome on her Win10 computer.  Microsoft took control of her computer and did a download.  The computer crashed .... after 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft, they told us to take it to the shop.  Three days and $150 later, we got the computer back.  The shop to reinstall Win8.   Seems Microsoft and Google were having a disagreement.

About 2 years ago, I was using my computer when Microsoft took it over and did a download.  After the download, it would not boot to Win10.  I haven't called Microsoft or the shop.  I had one of those "XTraPC" computers on a flash drive and I've been booting to that in a USB port since.

IIRC, the xtra-pc was about $70.  One disadvantage is it uses Firefox for a browser with a Linux OS.  There are sometimes compatibility problems but that's not too common.

1 hour ago, piasan said:

Microsoft has been known to 'hijack" our computers without warning and do an "update" ....  usually to plug security holes in Windoze.

yes, i found that out.

in winXP you had a choice of updatin or not updating.

furthermore you had the choice, by going to microsofts website, of which updates you wanted.

windows 10 FORCES you to update, and you have no control over any aspect of it.

i've also found that some of these updates changes some of the options that you have done without your knowledge.

i can't access the firewall  in order to block specific ports or IPs.

my port monitor from sysinternals works on win 10 and i've found at least 20 open ports that are connected to the net, listening.

little good it does because i cannot block those ports.

now that i have internet access i'm going to try to figure out just why my old OS won't work.

hopefully all i need to do is flash the bios, but i'm almost certain to need a processor upgrade as well.

my old processor doesn't support SSE2 security conventions, and this is what caused the security issues.

i had quite a few games that will not work on a 64 bit system, doom being the most prominent.

amazingly my turbografx16 emulator still works.

19 minutes ago, what if said:

hopefully all i need to do is flash the bios, but i'm almost certain to need a processor upgrade as well.

my old processor doesn't support SSE2 security conventions, and this is what caused the security issues.

i had quite a few games that will not work on a 64 bit system, doom being the most prominent.

amazingly my turbografx16 emulator still works.

Oh dude .... the last time I upgraded a processor it was to upgrade my 80486 from 33mHz to 66 mHz.  That was about a year after I installed a 4 meg RAM upgrade that cost $400.

6 minutes ago, piasan said:

Oh dude .... the last time I upgraded a processor it was to upgrade my 80486 from 33mHz to 66 mHz.  That was about a year after I installed a 4 meg RAM upgrade that cost $400.

my "old" computer ran at 2Ghz, had 2 gig ram, and a 260 gig HHD.

i've got time on my hands and google.

i'm almost sure i'll get that "old beast" online.

if not, then i got an 8 pound dual processor laptop and i'll purchase win10 for it and use "the old man" to play my games.

i homed in on a great laptop at wallmart, scarcely weighed in about 2 pounds, discount from $350 to $220.

unfortunately it was a display model and they couldn't get it out of display mode.

how sucky is win 10?

well, for those that don't know, windows 10 bombards you with popups, intrusive snippets of completely irrelevant nonsense.

get this:

my monitor has a display area of 195.51 square inches.

i opened microsoft edge and went to a random website and took some measurements.

the window itself plus the task bar took up 31.756 square inches.

the ads took up another 62.438 square inches.

that's 94.239 square inches folks.

just shy of HALF of the viewing area (97.5)

what's worse is that some sites, britannica for example, wont even display their contents unless you have your ad blocker turned off.

for some mysterious reason the ad blocker is ineffective with microsoft edge.

1 hour ago, what if said:

how sucky is win 10?

well, for those that don't know, windows 10 bombards you with popups, intrusive snippets of completely irrelevant nonsense.

get this:

my monitor has a display area of 195.51 square inches.

i opened microsoft edge and went to a random website and took some measurements.

the window itself plus the task bar took up 31.756 square inches.

the ads took up another 62.438 square inches.

that's 94.239 square inches folks.

just shy of HALF of the viewing area (97.5)

I'm surprised they let you use half of Mr. Gates advertising space.

• Haha 1

i've finally gained access to the firewall on this machine.

it's mccafe firewall.

it has a list of all the programs that access the internet and gives me the option of controlling that access.

ive disabled a few entries.

in doing so i've noticed that apparently every photo you view in windows is sent to the internet.

every change you make to file explorer is also sent to the internet.

it seems as if ol' bill is a nosy little snit.

skype also randomly accesses the internet, and i don't even use skype.

i've also noticed my phone number being sent  to the internet.

i might not be able to uninstall some of this stuff, but i'm pretty sure i can disable it to where it doesn't work.

like i said earlier, i,ve gained access to the firewall on this machine.

the firewall has a list of all the programs that has access to the internet.

i've always assumed that the only programs that needed access to the net were the web browsers you used.

apparently not.

i was actually shocked to see this list.

it contained, get this, 240 entries.

every single one of them has silent access to the net, they can send and receive info over the net without my knowledge.

almost half of them seem to be associated with mccafe.

the bad part is i cannot simply disable all of them except my browsers (firefox and microsoft edge).

i'll be going over this list over the next several weeks and disabling all the entries i can.

it's going to be a time consuming effort because i'll have to get information from google first to see exactly what is safe to disable.

if you change the settings on your machine, that info is transmitted over the net

if you change "open with" properties, THAT info is also transmitted.

it seems that almost everything you do with YOUR machine is transmitted.

the programs you install are also transmitted.

even the use of game controllers are transmitted.

and ALL of that behind your back.

well, i'm gonna find what works and what doesn't and i'll be posting them here.

what do you say about that microsoft?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, what if said:

the firewall has a list of all the programs that has access to the internet......

And people believe they have on-line "privacy." ......

• Like 1

i've been wondering why all of these apps would have access to to net.

one valid reason would be so microsoft can send you the right updates.

makes sense to me.

this however doesn't explain why file explorer needs to access the net.

in case you didn't know, file explorer has a list of every file on your machine.

also, my copy of win 10 is OEM preinstalled and probably has a lot of bundled software included.

mcafee firewall is one of those programs.

i believe my best bet would be to purchase a full install version of win 10 and install it on a spare computer i have and experiment with that one.

that way i don't have to worry about crashing my system.

*** DISCLAIMER ***

you use the information in this thread AT YOUR OWN RISK.

screwing around with your operating system can and will crash your system, making it unusable.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ! !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, what if said:

the firewall has a list of all the programs that has access to the internet.

i've always assumed that the only programs that needed access to the net were the web browsers you used.

apparently not.

every single one of them has silent access to the net, they can send and receive info over the net without my knowledge.

almost half of them seem to be associated with mccafe.

the bad part is i cannot simply disable all of them except my browsers (firefox and microsoft edge).

i'll be going over this list over the next several weeks and disabling all the entries i can.

it's going to be a time consuming effort because i'll have to get information from google first to see exactly what is safe to disable.

if you change the settings on your machine, that info is transmitted over the net

if you change "open with" properties, THAT info is also transmitted.

it seems that almost everything you do with YOUR machine is transmitted.

the programs you install are also transmitted.

even the use of game controllers are transmitted.

and ALL of that behind your back.

well, i'm gonna find what works and what doesn't and i'll be posting them here.

what do you say about that microsoft?

Thank you for that what if, i appreciate the work. And, look forward to seeing exactly what you find...

Big Brother is ALWAYS watching.....

i've ran across 4 web pages that you can use to help you regain a lot of the privacy you lost to microsoft.

during my trip across the net i've discovered some really nasty things about microsoft.

for example, it is now possible for microsoft to encrypt your hard drive with bit locker and if you just happen to lose your unlock key, well you get the picture.

you thought cookies were a bad thing?

you will absolutely cringe at what microsoft is now doing.

and it just isn't microsoft, almost everything that is associated with the web has jumped on the smash and grab bandwagon.

the pages i found:

https://www.howtogeek.com/224616/30-ways-windows-10-phones-home/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

https://lifehacker.com/what-windows-10s-privacy-nightmare-settings-actually-1722267229

https://blogs.systweak.com/how-to-disable-telemetry-and-data-collection-in-windows-10/

my computer came out of the box with mcafee firewall already installed and windows firewall disabled.

i've been able to access the built in windows firewall and i must admit that i'm impressed.

in previous versions of windows, the built in firewall blocked unsolicited incoming traffic but freely allowed all outgoing traffic.

you only had one option, to turn the firewall on or off, that's it.

you had no control over individual apps.

windows 10 firewall is truly impressive in this regard because it gives you the option of not only blocking individual apps, it gives you the option to block incoming or outgoing or both.

it even has the list of apps it operates on.

another thing i found was that task manager now gives you the option of clicking on a particular entry and accessing an online description of it. this is another thing that wasn't incorporated in previous versions of windows.

so, by accessing online data by task manager you can gain an understanding of various things you can disable in windows firewall.

i must commend microsoft on this because these tools were previously only available through sysinternals

please read the disclaimer at the start of this thread.

windows uses a process called distributed computing where processes on different machines can run on your machine.

this was mainly used for networks that were isolated from the internet by a firewall, and allowed such things as multiple computers using the same printer.

it was and is a severe security risk by allowing hackers to crash your machine with buffer overruns and then executing the the part of the code that cause the overrun.

this sort of thing should not be enabled by default, but enabled for corporate users and users with multiple computers.

windows 10 not only has this feature enabled, but when you try to disable it (as i did) it will cause your machine to be nonfuctionable.

my only recourse at this time is to re-install windows from a backup partition.

so, if you get the itch to disable DCOM on windows 10, you better think twice about it.

i've spent the last hour trying to get my machine to start, and it absolutely refuses to.

luckily i have laptop to post with.

edit:

well, restoring windows from my backup partition worked.

i chose to keep my files so nothing was really lost except maybe the changes i made to the list of apps my firewall allows to access the internet.

windows XP simply allows to to disable dcom and be done with it.

apparently windows 10 allows you to configure dcom instead of outright disabling it.

https://www.softwaretoolbox.com/dcom/html/dcom_for_windows_7-_10-_-_server_2008r2.html

edit 2:

okay, i've found some more info about DCOM. first of all it uses port 135, so maybe blocking this port will "disable" dcom.

anyway, here is the scoop from the wolf (microsoft):

http://www.dfpug.de/loseblattsammlung\migration\whitepapers/dcomtech.htm

and here is the scoop from the sheep:

https://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm

be advised **DO NOT** download the app from the sheeps site and use it on win 10.

me nor evolutionfairytale.com cannot and will not be held responsible for YOU crashing your machine

you can access a wealth of information by pressing shift+ctrl+esc.

this will bring up an app you can use to enable and disable various services and applications.

you even have the option of going online to find additional information about the selected item.

using this app in conjunction with windows firewall, you can disable most of the snooping that goes on behind your back.

remember, you use this information at your own risk.

a description of windows 10 services, courtesy of blackviper.com

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

what amazes me is the sheer number of services listed, 247 !

windows XP had at most 50.

BTW, don't disable any service that says "do not disable" (DUH)

disclaimer from blackvipers website:

You have ultimate control over what you do and what happens with your computer system.

I, Charles “Black Viper” Sparks, cannot be held responsible for something you did on your own free will. Nothing that appears on this domain comes with a guarantee or warranty of any kind.

My opinion of products and services are drafted from experience and observation. All information is true to the best of my knowledge at the time of writing.

Take great care when using any information provided by anyone on the internet.

here are 6 ways to avoid using cloud computing.

1. use you computer hard drive to save and store your files. systems like dropbox, google drive, and MS onedrive (among others) use the cloud to store files and provides a way to be tracked and spied on.

2. use microsoft outlook, thunderbird, or apple mail for your emails.

3. bank offline, banking institutions regularly use cloud computing to allow you ease of use (like from a different city).

4. don't upload or store your photos anywhere except your hard drive. (unless you don't care who sees them)

5. don't use word processors such as google docs or adobe buzzword, use MS word instead.

6. use a USB thumb drive to transfer files between computers.

here is a suite of powerful configuration tools you can use to configure windows 10.

these tools are meant for professionals and not for the general user, SO BEWARE.

be sure to read the included help files before using any of these apps.

the autoruns64 is an especially powerful tool that lists all startup apps in various ways.

each app can be enabled or disabled by merely checking the check box.

this app IS NOT user friendly, it will allow you to disable things that will wreck your machine

viewing the list does no harm though, just don't uncheck anything unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/

as usual, you use these apps at your own risk.