Evolution Fairytale Forum
piasan

How to get more posters?

This is about ways to get more posters...

23 hours ago, piasan said:

We don't have enough active posters as it is.  Another half dozen would be welcome.

11 hours ago, indydave said:

I have concluded that this website has far fewer than we think who read what we write. You have referred to the number of views and I am quite sure those are bots. There is no reason that there should not be 10 or 15 reactions per post to what we write but we only see one or two no matter who is doing the writing... OR how good the post is. We are all kidding ourselves if we think that there are a ton of readers.

A ton of readers?  No.  But people do join the EFF forum on a pretty regular basis.  Few post.  It would help a lot if we increase the number of individuals participating in the discussions.  The question is how to do that.

Think back to your marketing days... people surf the net and bump into this forum.  That's how I found it.  Then what?  They might browse.  How to "hook" them?   Offer a variety of discussions.  

My suggestion is rather than a 130 page monster that has a half dozen subjects being discussed in a noisy hodge-podge, the list may possibly be better off if there were 25 discussions of 6 or 7 pages each.  Some will catch and go for 20 pages or so and some will die quickly.  That's fine.

If this catches on .... great.   If this is the only post..... that's fine.  But how do we get more posters?

35 minutes ago, piasan said:

But how do we get more posters?

First, try to get an assessment of who really reads this. If you are reading my post right now, please press the heart button. It doesn't mean you want to hug or kiss me but it would be a way to know exactly how many people read this particular thread!

BTW, I don't agree with you about having shorter threads. I think when you and I discussed heat

and also craters, we went on for dozens and dozens of pages and I'm not sure that was a bad thing. We were thinking out loud.

the best way to get more posters is to have more entries in search engine results. to test this i searched for the exact thread title of a thread i created and found it on the second page of the search results. there was only one entry on the first page with my exact search phrase and it wasn't for EFT, the other entries on the first page did not match my exact search phrase.

in my opinion the lack of new members could be caused by some kind of bias in search engines. this might be caused by the site itself or by the search engine.

the problem with attracting more posters is spam and hackers.

14 minutes ago, indydave said:

First, try to get an assessment of who really reads this. If you are reading my post right now, please press the heart button. It doesn't mean you want to hug or kiss me but it would be a way to know exactly how many people read this particular thread!

hey, that's a pretty clever way of getting likes dave, i almost fell for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, indydave said:

No me  ! !   ME  ! ! !

:Just_Cuz:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, what if said:

Yeah, it was cute.

17 minutes ago, indydave said:

BTW, I don't agree with you about having shorter threads. I think when you and I discussed heat

and also craters, we went on for dozens and dozens of pages and I'm not sure that was a bad thing. We were thinking out loud.

Not necessarily shorter.... but MUCH more focused.   Some may be only 1 or 2 posts and some may go on for 30 or more pages.   There were at least a half dozen good topics in that "Audacious" discussion that would get 10 or more pages .... and might STILL be getting activity if they weren't buried in a lot of noise.

15 minutes ago, what if said:

the best way to get more posters is to have more entries in search engine results. to test this i searched for the exact thread title of a thread i created and found it on the second page of the search results. there was only one entry on the first page with my exact search phrase and it wasn't for EFT, the other entries on the first page did not match my exact search phrase.

in my opinion the lack of new members could be caused by some kind of bias i search engines. this might be caused by the site itself or by the search engine.

the problem with attracting more posters is spam and hackers.

I found the forum when I was searching for material on Brown's Hydroplates.  One of the search results came up with a phrase from an evaluation I had written.  That brought me here.  I came back a couple times, lurked a bit, and joined.

There might be a bias in search engines, but we can't do much about that.

Spam and hackers will give Mike something to do ....

6 minutes ago, piasan said:

I found the forum when I was searching for material on Brown's Hydroplates.  One of the search results came up with a phrase from an evaluation I had written.  That brought me here.  I came back a couple times, lurked a bit, and joined.

There might be a bias in search engines, but we can't do much about that.

Spam and hackers will give Mike something to do ....

i found it curious that my exact phrase was matched on the first page but wasn't for EFT.

in my opinion the EFT match should have been on the first page too instead of another incomplete match.

i also searched for "evolution" and i couldn't find a EFT link in the first 4 pages, (i gave up looking after 4 pages).

i also believe that the forum name itself could be a turn off.

i mean really, is anyone going to take us seriously with a name like that?

Well I guess the two people on this thread besides me have decided my idea to hit the heart button was no good. (No one hit it.) I thought it would help us to figure out if almost all of the views are just bots (Whatif suggested they could be). The largest number of responses I have ever seen in this forum has been 3. That says a lot about how many readers we have. There could be a lot of readers who don't ever want to write something themselves, but there is no reason why they wouldn't want to hit some kind of a response button!

16 hours ago, what if said:

I guess I should have said ANY kind of response. I guess I just assumed everyone would AUTOMATICALLY pick the heart button.

(if some reader decides they want to take my suggestion and help us figure it out, please be sure that you hit SOME kind of response in my first message on this page.)

16 hours ago, piasan said:

Not necessarily shorter.... but MUCH more focused.   Some may be only 1 or 2 posts and some may go on for 30 or more pages.   There were at least a half dozen good topics in that "Audacious" discussion that would get 10 or more pages .... and might STILL be getting activity if they weren't buried in a lot of noise.

That topic could have gone another 200 pages. Haven't you heard of the concept of potpourri? People like the idea of a stream-of-consciousness conversation. This site does have a search function you know so if someone has interest in something they can find it in many different threads if they want to.

Besides, you like to wander sometimes also and you just fuss about it when somebody else does the same thing.

I'm sure your wife could probably confirm that you have trouble seeing that you do the same thing you complain about.

15 hours ago, piasan said:

I found the forum when I was searching for material on Brown's Hydroplates.  

Yeah Whatif... We were on another discussion list and he was needing some ideas how to answer my arguments.

15 hours ago, what if said:

i also believe that the forum name itself could be a turn off.

i mean really, is anyone going to take us seriously with a name like that?

I think the original thought was to let people know that this was a creationist site that was not going to take the normal crap from the evolutionists. They wanted to have nicer conversations and normally (at other sites) it devolves pretty quickly into derision. That's basically what is wrong with BK & KB here. WAY TOO MUCH KNEE SLAPPING YUCK YUCK MOCKERY AMONG A SMALL NUMBER WHO WANT TO JUST MAKE AN EVOLUTIONIST FEEL BAD.

10 hours ago, indydave said:

Well I guess the two people on this thread besides me have decided my idea to hit the heart button was no good. (No one hit it.) I thought it would help us to figure out if almost all of the views are just bots (Whatif suggested they could be). The largest number of responses I have ever seen in this forum has been 3. That says a lot about how many readers we have. There could be a lot of readers who don't ever want to write something themselves, but there is no reason why they wouldn't want to hit some kind of a response button!

Don't you have to be a member and logged in to be able to hit the like button though ? So there could be loads of lurkers loving your wisdom ;)  but not in a position to display their appreciation ?

Ok...I just checked that and you are RIGHT.

At this time at 5:42 a.m. Eastern we have eight guest visitors and two of them are reading this thread! 

10 hours ago, wibble said:

Don't you have to be a member and logged in to be able to hit the like button though ? So there could be loads of lurkers loving your wisdom ;)  but not in a position to display their appreciation ?

10 hours ago, indydave said:

Ok...I just checked that and you are RIGHT.

At this time at 5:42 a.m. Eastern we have eight guest visitors and two of them are reading this thread! 

Nice try to get an idea of how many visitors there are, though.

It may be better to just check "online users" and see how many are members.   Of course, there could be members browsing the list who aren't signed in.  At the moment (1:31 PM), there re 15 people on line... 3 are signed in members.

If you click "Activity," "Search," "member search." and set for last 6 months, you will find 13 people have joined the forum.  2 in March, 1 in May, 9 in June, and 1 just a few minutes ago.   Only 3 of them have posted.

We are getting new members... maybe slowly .... they just aren't posting.

And only a small percentage of visitors will join .....

8 hours ago, piasan said:

may be better to just check "online users" and see how many are members.   Of course, there could be members browsing the list who aren't signed in.  At the moment (1:31 PM), there re 15 people on line... 3 are signed in members.

That's what i DID

Here's my idea, get some of us to visit other discussion groups and promote this one. Maybe it would be important to indicate that this one is different because of rules regarding how the participants treat each other. Of course some may say that we aren't that much better than the other discussion groups because things get pretty tough here sometimes.

My preference would be to have us to try to find someone that I would refer to as a truly inquisitive agnostic and I'd have a chance to try to convert them to becoming a Christian. I'm not too interested in just defending. I'd like to be hoping to "gain ground." No offense to Pi, but simply arguing the young Earth position against someone who is a theistic evolutionist, is not as much what I am interested in doing. Although I will take that if that's the only good discussion I can have.

Since Pi stated that we have more lurkers than we realize, every now and then I'll look at the number of guests, and it fluctuates a lot. I've seen it in the single digits, and I've seen it over 100 many times. Right now, it says we have 28 guests. Once I looked at what the guests were looking at, which you can do, and I was surprised to see that most of the guests were looking at really old threads that haven't been active in years.

As for advocating EFF on other forums, just be aware that this site has a certain reputation for those that have been around the online EvC debate for a while. Before any current active members were around EFF was a very different place. For online veterans it might be important to note that there has been a lot of changes in the way EFF is moderated, and as long as non-creationists are respectful you won't get banned.

41 minutes ago, Goku said:

Since Pi stated that we have more lurkers than we realize, every now and then I'll look at the number of guests, and it fluctuates a lot. I've seen it in the single digits, and I've seen it over 100 many times. Right now, it says we have 28 guests. Once I looked at what the guests were looking at, which you can do, and I was surprised to see that most of the guests were looking at really old threads that haven't been active in years.

Yes, I noticed this. They trawled through pretty much every thread in the archives over several weeks, all with very close matching addresses from the same country. I told Fred about it a while back.

I don't know much about IT, but there seems to be several possibilities. Some kind of bots, some kind of copyists. Forums can be copied. Suffice to say I don't think different people are going through different threads each day, dozens and dozens of them from the same country. But Fred knows I told him. 

I suspect it has happened in the past too, I know about a year ago Killurbluff told me there were about 200 guests online on a particular day. Lol. 

41 minutes ago, Goku said:

For online veterans it might be important to note that there has been a lot of changes in the way EFF is moderated, and as long as non-creationists are respectful you won't get banned.

That's true. But of course that puts off a lot of trolls that unlike the evolutionists here have no intelligence so they depend on getting by with the disrespect, ad-hom nonsense.

The theory at EvC forum is that social media has taken over forums and now they are a bit old fashion. It may have some truth. 

1 hour ago, Goku said:

Yeah, I'd seen that too.

1 hour ago, Goku said:

As for advocating EFF on other forums, just be aware that this site has a certain reputation for those that have been around the online EvC debate for a while. Before any current active members were around EFF was a very different place. For online veterans it might be important to note that there has been a lot of changes in the way EFF is moderated, and as long as non-creationists are respectful you won't get banned.

I'm pretty selective about who I invite here because there a lot of people I don't think would "fit."  For example, I know a Catholic priest who is extremely knowledgeable about science as well.  I never invited him because he wouldn't last ... in a week he'd be telling creationists to "repent for their "false beliefs" and threatening them with the fires of hell.

I've recommended EFF to three people I know .... two joined.   One was DaveB who was only active for a while.  The other was Indy.

I don't know how the list was moderated before but the current administration has been nothing but fair.   AFAIK, all they really ask is one stay civil and avoid obscenity.

45 minutes ago, mike the wiz said:

Yes, I noticed this. They trawled through pretty much every thread in the archives over several weeks, all with very close matching addresses from the same country. I told Fred about it a while back.

I don't know much about IT, but there seems to be several possibilities. Some kind of bots, some kind of copyists. Forums can be copied. Suffice to say I don't think different people are going through different threads each day, dozens and dozens of them from the same country. But Fred knows I told him. 

I suspect it has happened in the past too, I know about a year ago Killurbluff told me there were about 200 guests online on a particular day. Lol.

Yeah... I've seen when there were pages and pages of them.

48 minutes ago, mike the wiz said:

... of course that puts off a lot of trolls that unlike the evolutionists here have no intelligence so they depend on getting by with the disrespect, ad-hom nonsense.

The theory at EvC forum is that social media has taken over forums and now they are a bit old fashion. It may have some truth. 

That's true.  But we do still get new members and only a few of them actually post.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:24 PM, indydave said:

Here's my idea, get some of us to visit other discussion groups and promote this one. Maybe it would be important to indicate that this one is different because of rules regarding how the participants treat each other. Of course some may say that we aren't that much better than the other discussion groups because things get pretty tough here sometimes.

My preference would be to have us to try to find someone that I would refer to as a truly inquisitive agnostic and I'd have a chance to try to convert them to becoming a Christian. I'm not too interested in just defending. I'd like to be hoping to "gain ground." No offense to Pi, but simply arguing the young Earth position against someone who is a theistic evolutionist, is not as much what I am interested in doing. Although I will take that if that's the only good discussion I can have.

"Here's my idea, get some of us to visit other discussion groups and promote this one"

I've been doing just that for 4 years now.. 

Simply putting 

WWW.EVOLUTIONFAIRYTALE.COM 

after each and every post.... 

HOWEVER

considerong that most all of my posts are all directed toward the wannabe apes, they have about as much interest in going to this site as an escaped felon has in going to a police station..

None of this is about science.. It is merely that the IMPLICATIONS of Evolutionism happen to align with their philosophical worldview...

It isn't a head iasue.. It is a HEART issue...

"Darwin made it possible to be an intelectually fullfilled Atheist" Richard Dawkins

WWW.EVOLUTIONFAIRYTALE.COM